Search found 215 matches

by JSE
23 Apr 2013, 15:56
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: MMX Dwarf
Replies: 9
Views: 4083

MMX Dwarf

Most modern fantasy characters look like they're wearing pieces of a baroque church... What about plain armor and plain weapons for a change? Those can look very good and much more *believable*.
by JSE
22 Mar 2013, 14:33
Forum: News
Topic: Might and Magic X Trailer!
Replies: 51
Views: 28632

Might and Magic X Trailer!

:: Same with the other Ubisoft MM games, if they were called something like "Power and Miraces", I might have been interested in the games, but as it is, it's just insulting to me. :: Very good point. If we want "Might and Magic" to be more than just a label on the box, we should...
by JSE
22 Mar 2013, 05:37

Axeoth may have been a bit shallow and underdeveloped -- but in my opinion it was still the better attempt at a generic world. Let's face it: Might and Magic was always about rather generic fantasy settings -- which was totally fine and probably even one of the reasons the series was such a success ...
by JSE
22 Mar 2013, 00:53

@ Angelspit: I'm a bit shocked by this statement. Were you referring to Might and Magic IX or to the M&M series as a whole? While I can understand why a lot of fans were turned down by M&M IX (even though personally, I learned to like it), I assume all long-timers who still come here *do* ca...
by JSE
21 Mar 2013, 15:52
Topic: MMX in the Works?
Replies: 4
Views: 3739

MMX in the Works?

I cannot be optimistic before I know the art style of the new game. So far, the only "Ubi" Might and Magic that had an acceptable style was Dark Messiah -- it looked halfway believable. Heroes V is way to cartoony for me, and Heroes VI is so full of embellishments and tattoos that it makes...
by JSE
01 Dec 2012, 03:02
Topic: Kickstart Larry Elmore
Replies: 5
Views: 3141

Kickstart Larry Elmore

@ Angelspit: Not even of the old "red box" artwork done by Mr. Elmore? I think it was just amazing. Unfortunately, he wasn't involved in the 3rd and 4th editions of D&D. @ Marzhin: Good to hear! :) Let's move away from Warhammer and Warcraft influences and the hyper detail of Heroes V ...
by JSE
30 Nov 2012, 03:14
Topic: Kickstart Larry Elmore
Replies: 5
Views: 3141

Kickstart Larry Elmore

The box illustration for M&M VII was actually done by Boris Vallejo (another great artist) -- Elmore did the cover art for VI and VIII. Nevertheless, Larry Elmore sure is one of the most important fantasy artists of all time, and that artbook is going to be enormous! When it's out, maybe we shou...
by JSE
12 Jul 2012, 13:27
Topic: Crag the Marzhin
Replies: 13
Views: 6017

Crag the Marzhin

I find it amazing in a sad way how UbiSoft and their associates don't miss an opportunity to use characters from the original M&M universe for marketing their new universe... If they really believe it's important to rely on the original universe (and I couldn't agree more with that), whyever did...
by JSE
18 Oct 2011, 01:15
Topic: Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no
Replies: 21
Views: 10599

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

@ Bandobras Took: "Is resource management absent from Heroes 6? No. Was resource management a joke in Heroes 4? Yes. Does this complaint add anything new that was not mentioned and replied to in the interview? No. Does it suggest an improved plan which adds the same number of rare resources whi...
by JSE
16 Oct 2011, 15:58

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

I think it all comes down to how we understand the role of the "fan": You seem to have the impression that a fan's top priority should be loyalty to the franchise and the company who owns it. In my opinion, this is a conuterproductive and even dangerous definition of fandom. I think that b...
by JSE
15 Oct 2011, 01:33

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

@ CloudRiderX: First of all I did not accuse Erwan of anything: I've just taken the liberty of assuming that Erwan means what he says. By saying -- quote -- "games with a lot of resources are not strategy but management games", he actually expresses that in his opinion, the previous Heroes...
by JSE
14 Oct 2011, 03:07

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

Up until Heroes 6, Heroes had been a multifaceted strategy series. One of these facets was resource management. It was the combination of these different facets that made Heroes so special. Based on these statements, however, it's now quite obvious to me that Erwan does not appreciate the original H...
by JSE
16 Sep 2011, 00:01
Topic: Video: GamesCom Q&A
Replies: 18
Views: 8765

Video: GamesCom Q&A

@ Panda Tar: *** So, you'd rather have them throw in the game, say, as a "nostalgic resource" with even their original stories? That way, people who liked them could play with them in regular maps (or even appease map makers with that possibility). And they wouldn't have this new incarnati...
by JSE
15 Sep 2011, 20:48

That's exactly what I'm talking about: The character Tazar was ripped from the original universe (as a native of Antagarich) and was "reinvented" and "re-explained" for the new world of Ashan. The only "homage" or "respect" involved is a small footnote remindi...
by JSE
15 Sep 2011, 16:49

While I think it's great that the guys from Ubisoft are addressing and answering fan questions, I just can't get over two of Erwan's replies 1.) Random map generator: The solid RMG that came with Armageddon's Blade was (and still is) one of the integral factors of Heroes 3's immense replay value and...
by JSE
20 Aug 2011, 02:42
Topic: Ubisoft Cancelled a M&M Project
Replies: 20
Views: 5831

Ubisoft Cancelled a M&M Project

I agree. Besides, Asian art has a strong enough influence on the new M&M games as it is.
by JSE
28 Jul 2011, 12:41
Topic: JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium
Replies: 32
Views: 16688

JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium

It's of course true that it doesn't really make sense to ask for JVC's return if the man actually doesn't want to return and instead work on different projects. That was probably the case in the past.

However, the burning question is: Would he want to return *now* if UbiSoft made him another offer?
by JSE
27 Jul 2011, 23:06
Topic: JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium
Replies: 32
Views: 16688

JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium

The most important bit of information for me is JVC's *personal* confirmation that UbiSoft actually did make him an offer to continue working on M&M games.

This gives me something to think about...
by JSE
06 Jul 2011, 16:57
Forum: Articles
Topic: Like Tears in Rain
Replies: 151
Views: 47192

Like Tears in Rain

*** If the current version of the game is not considered conservative enough by the fanbase, there is at least quite some solace in the fact that things haven't been shaken up beyond recognition. *** I must say that as a fan of the original Heroes games, I feel quite mocked by the assumption that I ...
by JSE
24 Jun 2011, 18:10
Topic: H6 Fire Elemental
Replies: 20
Views: 7734

H6 Fire Elemental

My thoughts exactly.

Go to advanced search