Search found 190 matches

by JSE
Apr 18 2011, 0:10
Forum: News
Topic: CH Exclusive: Julien Pirou Q&A
Replies: 60
Views: 10047

CH Exclusive: Julien Pirou Q&A

"It's just a game, people [...]" That's a very simplistic way of seeing things. For many of us, games are more than just lighthearted entertainment to fill some hours. Games are complex and detailed enough to be considered works of art by those who appreciate them. Do you believe that being passiona...
by JSE
Apr 15 2011, 13:54
Topic: CH Exclusive: Julien Pirou Q&A
Replies: 60
Views: 10047

CH Exclusive: Julien Pirou Q&A

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but if Ubisoft actually respected the original M&M universe and its fans, they would have chosen to continue it.

Dropping a couple of familiar names and evoking some dear old memories won't do the M&M legacy justice -- not by far.
by JSE
Apr 8 2011, 0:43
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: Celestial Closeup
Replies: 13
Views: 2175

Celestial Closeup

I totally agree: Less would be (so much) more. I could also do without one sword, the hood, the wing armor, the "metal halo", the jewelry... *sigh* :(
by JSE
Mar 29 2011, 0:54
Forum: Articles
Topic: The Heroes Saga
Replies: 8
Views: 2012

The Heroes Saga

That's right, it's only said implicitly -- in the first sentence: "After Might & Magic V, Jon Van Caneghem imagined a spin-off game to the main Might & Magic RPG series." According to Jon Van Caneghem himself, Heroes of Might and Magic I was first planned to be a sequel to King's Bounty and only lat...
by JSE
Mar 29 2011, 0:31
Topic: CH Creature Poll
Replies: 20
Views: 3466

CH Creature Poll

I voted "1" (worst). Judging by the artwork, the visual designs of most creatures are so over-the-top that they prevent me from taking the game world very seriously. This is especially sad because I felt so "at home" in the classical fantasy style of the original four games. I can sum up the reasons...
by JSE
Mar 23 2011, 4:09

The Heroes Saga

Even though the trademark probably belongs to another company today, King's Bounty should still be mentioned in this article. It is the real origin of Heroes.
Edited on Wed, Mar 23 2011, 00:15 by JSE
by JSE
Mar 23 2011, 4:09

The Heroes Saga

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/770
by JSE
Dec 14 2010, 20:38
Topic: Heroes VI Lamasu
Views: 2215

Heroes VI Lamasu

At least this one is a creature from mythology (--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lammasu). It feels quite out of place in the undead/necropolis ranks, though. This is probably what UbiSoft was referring to in the last Q&A when they were asked whether the new creature lineups would be more "race-base...
by JSE
Dec 6 2010, 2:08
Topic: Heroes VI Sun Rider
Replies: 36
Views: 5147

Heroes VI Sun Rider

I think the problem with the Heroes VI "knight" faction in general is that by being more "magical", it -- quite ironically -- becomes less special. In the previous Heroes games, this faction alway stood out for being rather mundane.
Edited on Sun, Dec 05 2010, 21:10 by JSE
by JSE
Dec 3 2010, 3:24
Topic: Heroes VI Pit Lord
Views: 2748

Heroes VI Pit Lord

@ Bahototh: Does your question imply that there were some "bad" creature designs in all Heroes games? If so: Personally, I have never been so visually "turned off" by any of the New World Computing designs than by most of the "new era" artworks. While they are professionally done (which I respect), ...
by JSE
Dec 1 2010, 23:56
Topic: Heroes VI Pit Lord
Views: 2748

Heroes VI Pit Lord

Okay, admittedly: This one looks no worse than his predecessor in Heroes 5. But isn't it sad that this is one of the few positive things one can say about the creature artwork so far? --- @ michiganjf: I think we all care about fun -- and most of us will probably care about strategy and challenge. D...
by JSE
Nov 29 2010, 15:08
Topic: Heroes VI Glory
Replies: 25
Views: 3144

Heroes VI Glory

Of course! As we all know, sex appeal has always been a key element of the Heroes series and is therefore a reasonable basis for new creature designs......
by JSE
Nov 28 2010, 23:15

Heroes VI Glory

That would explain the situation for custom-made scenarios set on Ashan. Many fans, however, create scenarios (and campaigns) set in different fantasy worlds -- making it quite difficult to incorporate highly specific creatures.
by JSE
Nov 28 2010, 15:52

Heroes VI Glory

@ Pitsu: Exactly! The mapmaking versatility is a very important point to consider and it's one of the reasons why more "generic" creatures fit much better into a Heroes game than "specific" ones -- like the Glory...
by JSE
Nov 27 2010, 18:12

Heroes VI Glory

They used both -- that's why I said "Tolkienesque fantasy and mythology". I didn't mean "Tolkien mythology" but real world mythology. ;) When I say "Tolkienesque" I mean the way the elves, dwarves, goblins, orcs, and halflings were designed. Tolkien of course didn't "invent" elves or dwarves, but he...
by JSE
Nov 27 2010, 17:52

Heroes VI Glory

While I totally respect your view, Milla, I'm quite sure that the original Heroes fascination had a lot to do with the fact that NWC mostly took creatures from Tolkienesque fantasy and mythology.
by JSE
Nov 27 2010, 2:08

Heroes VI Glory

UbiSoft really doesn't seem to understand (or to care?) that most Heroes fans -- including myself -- would like to see classical fantasy creatures rather than highly world-specific ones. In general, it makes sense to present a game world the way it was meant to be -- but if this includes spider wome...
by JSE
Aug 11 2010, 16:30
Topic: Might and Magic Teaser...
Replies: 43
Views: 8349

Might and Magic Teaser...

"A new era begins..." -- Another new era? I'd much rather read "Back to the roots".

I think it means that UbiSoft is going to launch an "Ashan 2.0", bringing us a new Heroes game and a new role-playing game set in this world -- at least one of them being an MMO.
by JSE
Mar 19 2010, 22:45
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: Heroes 4 multiplayer waiting times
Replies: 3
Views: 1572

I usually played the game via TCP/IP with one of the players' computers as server. I also tried playing via GameSpy -- with the exact same result: On any map larger than "M", the data transfer after ending a turn can take a minute or more. Your response sounds like you have not experienced...
by JSE
Mar 3 2010, 14:34
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: Heroes 4 multiplayer waiting times
Replies: 3
Views: 1572

Heroes 4 multiplayer waiting times

Heroes 4 multiplayer games via internet always suffered from painfully long waiting times between turns -- especially so on large and extra-large maps.

Does anyone know whether there has ever been a solution or fix for this?

Go to advanced search