Search found 299 matches

by rdeford
03 Jul 2007, 16:07
Forum: Mapmaking Guild
Topic: mapmaker wannabe needs help!
Replies: 7
Views: 3522

Regarding MessageBox -- The only way to display a message box to the player is by using the script. Unfortunately, you cannot use scripting with multi-player maps. (That's the way the game is built and there is no way around the limitation.) If you are interested in using a message box in a single-p...
by rdeford
02 Jul 2007, 15:10

Oops, While reading my instructions for adding the caption file, I realized that I left out the step where you give the caption file a name. Anyway, here is where that step goes, along with a few more words in the other steps to make them clear: -- Click on the NameFileRef field in the Value column ...
by rdeford
01 Jul 2007, 21:27

Here is one way to do what you desire using the "built-in" objective types, as opposed to to doing it manually with the script. Begin by viewing the Map Properties Tree. Scroll down to Objectives in the Property column and expand it to see all the objectives tree. (I.e., click the + button...
by rdeford
09 Jun 2007, 01:04
Forum: Articles
Topic: Celestial Heavens: Special Features
Replies: 20
Views: 12176

Special Features

I like it. Thank you for all the hard work.
by rdeford
02 Jun 2007, 18:43
Topic: The End of Deconstruction
Replies: 71
Views: 15767

Heroes V, Deconstructed (4)

Good article in that it provoked a good discussion, and a second look at the "personality" of HOMM5 by many folks. I like HOMM5 a LOT, pimples, warts, and all. The AI seems better after HOF, BTW, so maybe it'll be really good after TOE. As GOW said, the editor is worth the learning curve. ...
by rdeford
01 Jun 2007, 15:13
Topic: Deconstructed, Part 3
Replies: 50
Views: 11884

Heroes V Deconstructed (3)

I like HOMM5 the best overall so far. I like 3-D and the camera control to make optimum use of it becomes second nature by the time you finish three maps. I love the editor, sorry fellows. It took me a couple of weeks to learn the scripting language, but now I can make the most fantastic terrain of ...
by rdeford
30 May 2007, 14:16
Topic: Heroes V Deconstructed #1
Replies: 29
Views: 7207

Heroes V, Deconstructed

I wasn't going to comment, but this is such a great discussion that I had to join in. Our family has loved playing HOMM from the HOMM II on up. My kids grew up playing hotseat with us. I remember buying HOMM II and not being able to play it right away because I had to work. My daughter called me up ...
by rdeford
08 May 2007, 17:56
Topic: Elevation causes really bad lag
Replies: 17
Views: 8574

Using the HOF 2.1 editor, I created an extremely elevated, large area on a large map. The map plays well without any slowing down. Maybe the newer editor does a better job on this type of terrain.
by rdeford
08 May 2007, 17:44
Topic: The ultimate map for Heroes 5 ? (as Lost continent from H2?)
Replies: 1
Views: 1865

Boodler...

I share your love of this kind of map. I am creating just such a map as we speak. It is a H5, HOF 2.1 map that will be titled "King's Quest." I will publish it here on CH in a month or so. Keep checking.
by rdeford
02 May 2007, 22:25
Topic: The basics of H5 scripting.
Replies: 13
Views: 9819

Good job Pitsu. I am new to HOMM5 map making and your scripting guide was a BIG help. It make a very difficult, nearly impossible task, fairly easy. I did the map making tutorial, read your guide, looked through the Q & A on the forum, and finished my first small map with a good amount of script...
by rdeford
02 May 2007, 20:20
Topic: What's it like? :)
Replies: 17
Views: 7083

Then I suggest you to make a map step by step with Editor Practical Guide. After finishing this, you should be able to create your own map without help. smile And don't worry, it all look complicated only at the beginning. About 2h of working with this and then almost everything is simple... Yes, t...
by rdeford
02 May 2007, 18:20
Topic: ToTE -Transform Town Values Changed(HOF as well)
Replies: 12
Views: 7566

[quote="jeff"]... then having to deal with changing scripts with each update is incredibly inane. /quote]

I agree. It is totally irritating. (Or should I have said, irritating totally?)
by rdeford
30 Apr 2007, 22:54
Forum: News
Topic: Patch 1.5 Next Week
Replies: 39
Views: 15666

I agree with GOW. I am just a hobby programmer knowing only a little BASIC and some C++, but not nearly enough to write code for a living. With the help of Pitsu's Scripting Guide, the official guides, and the questions and answers on this forum, I was able to learn h5 hof scripting in about two wee...
by rdeford
29 Apr 2007, 01:29
Forum: News
Topic: Inside Mac Games Review
Replies: 15
Views: 4387

Inside Mac Games Review

I love the game, warts and all. Yes, I suffered a bit with the early game bugs, but it runs quite well now. As for the cutscenes, well, they have a certain grade-B-movie charm to them that I can appreciate when the Grade-B mood is upon me. I've played and loved all the HOMM I -- V and I find I like ...
by rdeford
19 Apr 2007, 18:10
Topic: AI too dumb to use colored gates/keys?
Replies: 10
Views: 6007

Thanks GOW. These are good ideas to experiment with.
by rdeford
19 Apr 2007, 15:13
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Town you least like to play
Replies: 75
Views: 21344

My least favorite town is Sylvan. I just cannot seem to identify with the heroes or the units, except for the Sprites, which are pretty cool. Also, I find the muscular female heroes in the hero animations to be another indication of a rushed game development cycle. A rose by another name...
by rdeford
19 Apr 2007, 14:46
Topic: Neutrals
Replies: 21
Views: 7400

[GOW-quote]I would have liked to have seen a few more of the Fey type units rather than just the pixie in HOMM5. There could have been a Fey town with fairy dragons (or another unit since there are so many dragons already) as the top unit. There is so much room there for fun units with all kinds of ...
by rdeford
19 Apr 2007, 14:38
Topic: Getting the most out of my game - The PERFECT MAP?
Replies: 14
Views: 6196

In both HOMM3 and HOMM5 my wife and I love to play as allies against one or more AI teams. But, like you, we are tired of the simple-minded kill-all-to-win maps with their all-too-rare epic battles. BTW, it took a LOT of practice to learn how to create a HOMM3 map where the AI acted intelligent and ...
by rdeford
18 Apr 2007, 20:31
Topic: What I Want
Replies: 21
Views: 5690

I would like to see the capability to get the racial abilities required to use the specialty in a particular type of castle for a hero from a different type of castle. (Sort of like being adopted by a race I guess.) Of course, it should be appropriately difficult, and likely be a one-time-only event...

Go to advanced search