Search found 57 matches

by WretchedGnu
08 Dec 2008, 20:26
Forum: News
Topic: Brett Todd Like a Good Bounty
Replies: 23
Views: 7156

Brett Todd Like a Good Bounty

The more I play KB, the more I have to conclude that, as far as single-player goes, it is as good as Heroes 3. (Blasphemy!) The overland map strategic element is entirely missing, of course -- my favorite thing about Heroes -- but in terms of single-player structure and design, KB is now King. You c...
by WretchedGnu
08 Oct 2008, 01:43
Topic: Four Stars and a Half for King´s Bounty
Replies: 48
Views: 14292

Four Stars and a Half for King´s Bounty

I liked Heroes 5 a lot; but King's Bounty is fantastic and has far less "flab", and fewer gameplay redundancies. The good qualities of KB have reminded me of the biggest mistake H4 & H5 made: concentrating more on "replayability" than on having a beautifully constructed singl...
by WretchedGnu
02 Feb 2008, 21:42
Topic: Disciples 3 Almost Complete?
Replies: 47
Views: 12918

Disciples 3 Almost Complete?

sorry, but D3 is not on the home stretch. They're still designing one of the game's 3 races (Empire)
by WretchedGnu
13 Dec 2007, 03:24
Topic: Termination at GameSpot... Scandal?
Replies: 26
Views: 12609

Termination at GameSpot Scandal

ah, yes: Clinton was very very bad because he lied about sex; whereas Bush's lies, resulting in tens of thousands of innocent civilians dead, makes him a hero! There's right-wing "morality" for ya...
by WretchedGnu
16 Aug 2007, 03:01
Topic: Settlers Beta Test
Replies: 11
Views: 4115

Settlers Beta Test

er... If you find economic sims boring and aren't happy until soldiers show up, why on earth would you even start a game like Settlers? I love this idea that the makers of trading sims were somehow trying to make a military-based game, but they somehow failed and ended up putting a bunch of economic...
by WretchedGnu
13 Jul 2007, 18:15
Topic: Disciples II Gold for $4.95
Replies: 20
Views: 7300

Disciples II Gold for $4.95

Clearly Heroes is much more fun in the tactical combat mode. But in terms of the broad strategy and the adventure map, Disciples is tighter; its gameplay elements are more strategically essential -- you have none of the redundancies that make Heroes tiresome after a while. In a Disciples game, each ...
by WretchedGnu
13 Jul 2007, 15:00
Topic: Disciples II Gold for $4.95
Replies: 20
Views: 7300

Disciples II Gold for $4.95

"Filler material!" -- hey, the Rise of the Elves campaign is far better than anything in Heroes V...
by WretchedGnu
31 May 2007, 13:11
Topic: The Queen Isabel Kicking Game
Replies: 44
Views: 16107

The Queen Isabel Kicking Game

hmm... I wonder why one never describes a *man's* wedding day as "one of the most important days of his life"? The psychology behind that fact is certainly related, I think, to the adolescent satisfaction certain boys take in the image of a woman being kicked...
by WretchedGnu
25 May 2007, 03:22
Forum: Articles
Topic: Heroes V Deconstructed #1
Replies: 29
Views: 7184

Heroes V, Deconstructed

Very nice article. But why not just call it "Heroes V analyzed"? or "Heroes 5, impressions?" So often with the term "deconstructed" I have to chime in with that Princess Bride line, "...you keep using this word... I do not think it means what you think it means...&...
by WretchedGnu
19 Mar 2007, 09:00
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Despite the AI, I now like H5 better than H3! (a confession)
Replies: 21
Views: 6182

With the parameters you stated H-V is probably a good game for you. I did enjoy the graphics upgrade, but feel they could have done just as well by not having every terrain decoration move thereby lowering system requirements. My major complaints besides those I've beaten to death elsewhere include...
by WretchedGnu
18 Mar 2007, 20:52

I can see why really hardcore players prefer H3 to H5, even aside from the AI issue. As somebody said above, there's just a lot more stuff available to H3. But although I'm a big strategy game fan, I never have much time to play any one game much. I felt like I played H3 a lot, but I only got one ex...
by WretchedGnu
16 Mar 2007, 21:48
Topic: Laptop performance tip
Replies: 0
Views: 1089

Laptop performance tip

ok, this may reveal my stupidity: but I only recently noticed that the screen resolution that the game has set as its default (in my installation) is lower than my laptop's native resolution of 1280 x 800. When I raised the game resolution to that, I got a major boost to game performance. One might ...
by WretchedGnu
16 Mar 2007, 21:31

:slap: Betrayer! Heresy! H3 forever! Nah, just kidding...;) Seriously though, I believe H5 can overtake H3. It's going to require a LOT of effort on Nival's part though. H5 has several things going for it, but IMO, it needs to get better. yeah... I wouldn't be surprised if I change my mind later be...
by WretchedGnu
16 Mar 2007, 21:18

Despite the AI, I now like H5 better than H3! (a confession)

ok, so when the game came out I was one of those who immediately condemned it and put it on the shelf because I ran into some very stupid AI behavior in one of the scenarios. I still think it's unforgivable that the developers spent so much more time and energy on the graphics than on a good AI. But...
by WretchedGnu
16 Mar 2007, 20:52
Topic: Heroes V Music Review
Views: 7359

Heroes V Music Review

... sorry, but that argument is the same as saying we can't complain about spelling a word wrong or using a term incorrectly -- because that mistake had been made in the original manual! If the original manual had defined "toaster" as a kind of ocelot, we would find it odd for anybody to r...
by WretchedGnu
15 Mar 2007, 05:57

Heroes V Music Review

...yes, well... shouldn't we be able to think beyond the game settings text??
by WretchedGnu
14 Mar 2007, 19:23

Heroes V Music Review

Hey, so what does everybody think of this habit of referring to H2's music as "opera"? Is any music with a choral component now considered "opera" by the public at large? By the way, I just downloaded dbPoweramp music converter, and it does a fast bang-up job of converting H3 tra...
by WretchedGnu
14 Mar 2007, 06:24

Heroes V Music Review

The problem with H5 music is that the composer tried to paint the entire game with a single thematic brush -- just like they do (usually poorly) in film scores. So the Necro town theme is just a dissonant version of the Haven theme, which is just a triumphant version of the Sylvan theme, etc. Unless...
by WretchedGnu
11 Mar 2007, 07:25
Topic: Nival's latest spelling error :)
Replies: 29
Views: 9430

Given the fact that people have noticed these kinds of errors at all -- I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that almost every written sentence or phrase in the game has some major error in English grammar or spelling. It's been confusing to me to read people complaining about the continued exist...
by WretchedGnu
18 Dec 2006, 18:56
Topic: The Dark Misogynist
Replies: 77
Views: 24083

The Dark Misogynist

Speak for yourself, boyo. The majority of game players may be male, but that doesn't mean that they're pathetic booby-obsessed adolescents. Adult males only find these adolescent fantasies -- which you see in many games -- just sad. When people grow up and meet real women, they'll understand what I'...

Go to advanced search