Search found 21 matches

by jwallstone
Oct 13 2009, 14:51
Forum: Mapmaking Guild
Topic: Day Triggers: During AI turn, and detecting End Turn
Replies: 9
Views: 3697

Oh man! You are amazing!

Thanks for all your help. This is great, I can use SciTe now.

The 0-based thing sucks. I'm glad I know about it now, it was annoying to debug. And thanks for the tip on GetObjectCreaturesTypes, that helps a lot.
by jwallstone
Oct 13 2009, 5:26

By the way, is there a way to directly edit the Map Script without opening the editor? It gets time-consuming to have to always close the game, then open the editor, then vice versa just to make every change. EDIT: I just found out that Heroes used 0 as the first index of arrays. Very annoying, seei...
by jwallstone
Oct 13 2009, 5:17

pairs() just produces index, value pairs for a table, to use in a 'for' loop. as in: a = {10, 20} for i,v in pairs(a) do --some code, i are indices (1,2), v are values (10,20) end Is there another way to iterate through a table? I see this example in the Editor documentation under the function GetOb...
by jwallstone
Oct 13 2009, 2:08

One more question:

It seems that the Heroes V engine does not support the pairs() and ipairs() functions that are part of Lua for generalized 'for' loops iterating through lists. Is there someway to get this to work, like some workaround or a way to manually write these functions?

Thanks.
by jwallstone
Oct 12 2009, 16:32

Sorry, I keep forgetting that this is a forum for all HOMM versions, so I forget to write which game I'm talking about. Thanks Franzy for the help. That helps clarify it. I believe I should be able to make it work, either with the endless loop or with a workaround just using the Day Trigger. Thanks ...
by jwallstone
Oct 12 2009, 5:30

Day Triggers: During AI turn, and detecting End Turn

I've been playing around with the editor, and I can't seem to figure out how to do these two things: 1. The New Day trigger seems to only work during the player's turn. Anyway to do something during an AI turn? 2. Is it possible to detect and run a function when the player Ends the turn? Thanks for ...
by jwallstone
Oct 11 2009, 17:48
Topic: Hidden functions in HOMMV
Replies: 4
Views: 2456

Great. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the list there doesn't address all the hidden functions. Namely, the ones that deal with Dwellings, which is what I was after. Also, StopTrigger doesn't seem to be mentioned, though it is potentially useful. I'll see if I can figure out how to use the Dwell...
by jwallstone
Oct 11 2009, 6:38
Topic: Hidden functions in HOMMV
Replies: 4
Views: 2456

Hidden functions in HOMMV

(This topic was originally about trying to get or set the number of creatures available for purchase in a town. I've changed the subject to reflect wider applicability) EDIT: Using the Map Editor's built in function auto-completion, you can scroll through and see the list of available functions. The...
by jwallstone
Dec 14 2008, 23:34
Forum: Articles
Topic: Sex as a Gaming Feature
Replies: 60
Views: 14121

Babes, Sex & Video Games

Right on Kalah! I agree with you entirely. I have the same thoughts as you about this. Each time I see some random female with entirely impractical attire, I shake my head and think less of the designer/artist that put that in there.
by jwallstone
Sep 29 2008, 18:44
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: True beginner seeks instruction
Replies: 30
Views: 6331

I feel like xhepera is asking some basic questions about how to do things in the interface, in addition to basic strategy, but everyone is answering strategy only. So, to exchange things between heroes: on the adventure map, if you have one hero selected, hover your mouse over the hero you want to e...
by jwallstone
Sep 22 2008, 16:32
Topic: Sylvan town graphics problem
Views: 1720

I have this problem too. I looked it up elsewhere (can't remember where) and it appears that it is simply because your graphics card isn't good enough, and people seemed to say that there really isn't a fix. I've just learned to live with it. Thankfully, the problem is only limited to this. I perfor...
by jwallstone
Aug 31 2008, 21:40
Topic: Imbued Ballista takes Hero turn?
Replies: 6
Views: 1760

I didn't think it happened before either. I don't know if it's patch 3.1, or what.
by jwallstone
Aug 31 2008, 18:28
Topic: Imbued Ballista takes Hero turn?
Replies: 6
Views: 1760

Imbued Ballista takes Hero turn?

It seems that when I use an imbued ballista, it takes up the Hero's turn. Meaning that the hero is coming up soon after the ballista on the ATB bar, but after the Ballista goes, the hero gets sent all the way back. I know it's supposed to be the hero casting the spell, but I didn't think it was supp...
by jwallstone
Aug 25 2008, 3:29
Topic: User Opinions
Replies: 15
Views: 2228

Just tried playing some heroic games, and getting master hunters arcane archers was no problem. Just picking up a piece or two of wood somewhere plus an early sawmill was enough to get the upgraded building within the first few days. Obviously, you have to prioritize that above other creatures, but ...
by jwallstone
Aug 24 2008, 20:17

John Galt beat me to it! That's pretty much exactly my approach to sylvan. Wyngaal is my favorite, and his hero build is almost identical to mine. I also like to throw in Leadership with Empathy if I get the chance. (single sprite stacks with high morale speed up the hero quite a bit.) In response t...
by jwallstone
Aug 24 2008, 15:24

I'm relatively new, but my experience has been that Sylvan are powerful creepers. I've never had trouble buying the building and upgrade for arcane archers, since I prioritize that over other dwellings. I haven't had much trouble creeping low tiers the first week without losses, then by the second w...
by jwallstone
Aug 22 2008, 23:52
Topic: Game mechanics questions
Replies: 10
Views: 1765

After some testing, it looks like the AI does not use either the Shrine of the Netherworld or the Ritual Pit. They were given access to plenty of creatures from other factions, and just carried them around with all the morale penalties. This is a bit disappointing, as it doesn't seem like it'd be th...
by jwallstone
Aug 21 2008, 15:39

Ah, I stand corrected, I did not see that. However, that information is still hard to find when trying to figure out gating, stuck in a hero description rather than anywhere that the gating abilities are described.
by jwallstone
Aug 21 2008, 15:12

Thanks for all your help, guys. I will try making a test map to figure out about the Ritual Pit. If I take over the town, do I still get accumulated growth benefits? Given that the crystal dragon's special is so unpredictable and hard to control, is the emerald dragon generally considered the better...
by jwallstone
Aug 21 2008, 6:46

One more question:

6. Does the AI hire creatures to use in buildings like the Necropolis Shrine of the Netherworld or Dungeon's Ritual Pit? Also, do they use Haven's training?

Go to advanced search