Maps and the art of mapmaking.

Moderator: Moderators

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

HOMM IV: Axis and Allies (H4)

Postby gravyluvr » Jun 4 2019, 6:51

Hey folks,

Long time player/CH forum member. I reloaded HOMM on my new computer and have been playing some HOMM 2-4 for nostalgia sake.

I am revisiting a map I created about ten years ago in HOMM IV for myself that I made that plays like Axis vs. Allies.

I'm going to be tweaking it as I recover from hip surgery.

Looking for testers and help on easiest place to file share these days. I have a dropbox account and can share that way.

Allies:
RED - Russia (Might)
BLUE - USA (Order)
GREEN - France (Nature)
PURPLE (Great Britain)

Axis:
CYAN - Germany (Death)
ORANGE - Japan (Chaos)

I've created the map so that the human plays as the Allies. The difficulty rating can certainly make a difference so try it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amwtivdqpcc5kxm/AxisAllies.h4c?dl=0

You can hit me on this thread for ideas and troublespots. Two beginner tips. Know your WW2 and AAA, and like any good might player, hit-n-run with Russia, run away with the French, and manage the British empire while you use the American Production dominance.

Known issues: I need to improve/tweak the Japanese abilities to produce Naval threats and I'd like to improve the Axis ability to expand their empires.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: HOMM IV: Axis and Allies (H4)

Postby gravyluvr » Jun 4 2019, 6:54

Added natural difficulty if you only play as certain powers and leave the French to the computer (not a good future for Charels de Galle) or even Russia (makes it ultra difficult).

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Postby Panda Tar » Jun 5 2019, 2:11

Welcome back, Gravyluvr! :D Just passing to say hi, actually. And I hope for a quick recovery. Hip issues is ever present and kinda delicate to take care of, although nowadays there are plenty of ways to prevent some stuff we can fall victim off later on.

For your health, then! :wave:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby gravyluvr » Jun 7 2019, 7:16

Thanks Panda Tar! Good to see a lot familiar names. I've been playing older/favorite versions HOMM and Civ to relax and unplug after work for years.

Yurian Stonebow
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Yurian Stonebow » Jun 17 2019, 20:01

Thank you Gravyluvr for the opportunity for me to set my mind into new Heroes map making fun. :) I downloaded the map, previewed it in the H4 map editor and started making enhancements of my own for my personal enjoyment and for reasons of historical accuracy. Geographical details will be further looked into and modified, and extra eye candy shall be added. Balance related issues are on my "To do-list" as well. Cheers, Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby gravyluvr » Jun 24 2019, 20:44

@Yurian

Cool. It was started and then shelved and I found it when I was copying old files and drives into my new computer. Like most HOMM players I made my own maps but rarely dared to put them out there. If I recall, I even used a World War II for Dummies book to get a lot of the Leaders names and to work on the locations. I also tried to use the Axis and Allies board game as the starting positions and strategic base of the game.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby gravyluvr » Jun 25 2019, 18:07

To give you the context of the game board, keep in mind that the resources are designed around the points per territory in the AAA map, included here:

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”