HV-Creating fog.

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

HV-Creating fog.

Unread postby HellSpawn » 28 Jan 2009, 00:12

My friend and I are creating an impossible sized multiplayer map from scratch, and I'm trying to figure out how to create different colored mists for certain areas.
Here's an example from a standard map:
I know how to do ambient lighting for the entire map and I was told that option was in there somewhere.
I've seen other maps that have these mist effects, in different colors, around the map.

I've tried to look at other maps with this effect, but to no avail.
I simply can't figure this one out.

I will appreciate any help you can give me.
Last edited by HellSpawn on 29 Jan 2009, 07:08, edited 2 times in total.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 28 Jan 2009, 09:23

Never seen fog on maps. I did saw large clouds of smoke, but that's just visual effects stripped from towns. They can be created with PlayVisualEffect function.

ReinierK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ReinierK » 28 Jan 2009, 09:27

Fog is indeed possible, just load the very first DialogScene from the official campaign...

Maybe you could compare the map properties of this map to your map and figure out what they did?

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

figured some things out.

Unread postby HellSpawn » 29 Jan 2009, 18:02

After some help from rdeford, I figured out a few things and then eventually figured out how to create that special fog in the screenshot on my first post.
Here's the test map screenshot.

As you can see, I've made it grey.
I first selected Taiga Forest in the map properties window.
Then I went to "Ground Ambient lights" right-clicked then checked ADD.
Right-clicked again selected new.
I then went to the ... button which brought up this window.(Special thanks to rdeford for showing me this step.)

I selected Custom fog in the "Distance Fog" section then clicked on the ... button that's highlighted.
From there I changed the color to grey.

The only problem I have now, is that the fog covers the entire map and I can't figure out how to customize the coordinates of the fog for certain areas only.
The only solution I came up with so far is to raise the entire ground level 1 notch and lower it 1 notch where I want to see the fog.
However, in the standard map screenshot I showed, there was no elevation at all.

Any Suggestions?

edwin_yang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby edwin_yang » 09 Feb 2009, 03:28

@HellSpawn

I can see this map is the duel of the titans. I'v check it and saw they use a lot of effects like this (see the pictures below)

however, I am wondering how they make the effect in a certain region and what is the light from the undergroud?

8|

Edit: well , now I get how they created a fog in a certain region. first you need to choose a fog effect in the map properties tree( you already know how to do it).

second use the terrain forming tool "raise" or "bulk" or something else that can raise the terrain of the map to raise the whole map to a certain height until you cant see the fog. then you can also use the terrain tool to lower the area where you want the fog to appear. :)

Jonas
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Jonas » 09 Feb 2009, 05:50

Here are some effects like fogs, smoke and clouds. I'll try to look for more some other day.

Code: Select all

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Arenas/HavenSiege/General/Fog.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 31, 21, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Characters/Heroes/Wizard/WizardsPath/WizardPathInf.(Effect).xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 31, 21, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Towns/Inferno/BottomGlow.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 29, 21, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Arenas/Boat/Cloud01.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 31, 19, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Arenas/Boat/Cloud02.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 31, 23, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Towns/Rampart/FaerieTree_Lv01.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 31, 25, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Towns/Necropolis/UnearthedGrave01.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 31, 27, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Buildings/Towns/Inferno_Ruins.(Effect).xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 27, 21, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Towns/Inferno/CageSmoke.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 37, 21, 0, 0, 0);

PlayVisualEffect( "/Effects/_(Effect)/Towns/Necropolis/ForgeSmoke.xdb#xpointer(/Effect)", '', '', 31, 29, 0, 0, 0);
:leo: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HellSpawn » 09 Feb 2009, 19:08

edwin_yang wrote:@HellSpawn

however, I am wondering how they make the effect in a certain region and what is the light from the undergroud?
Well, First select the underground ambient light that you want.
The certain region light effect has something to do with the "Point Lights" option.
I was able to do a similar effect with a crystal object.
I'm still fiddling around with it, but I'll keep you posted.

After messing around with the point light option, I've created a test map to show how this is done.

Just select the object you want to give out light, then go to Point Lights and right-click and select add.
On the POS just select z...Z is how high you want the light to go.
Radius is how far around, and of course select the color you want.
I used red on the crystal, blue on 1 column and yellow on the other.
Last edited by HellSpawn on 09 Feb 2009, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HellSpawn » 09 Feb 2009, 19:10

Thanks Jonas,
That's pretty much what I was trying to do.
I'll mess around with that technique, and post a pic once I get it right.

edwin_yang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby edwin_yang » 10 Feb 2009, 02:57

you missed this part: :D

==========================================
Edit: well , now I get how they created a fog in a certain region. first you need to choose a fog effect in the map properties tree( you already know how to do it).

second use the terrain forming tool "raise" or "bulk" or something else that can raise the terrain of the map to raise the whole map to a certain height until you cant see the fog. then you can also use the terrain tool to lower the area where you want the fog to appear. smile
===========================================

actully, you can use the map the duel of titans for a test, just use the dig or lower terrain tool to lower the area of the hevan's region, you will see the same fog in the necro's region. :)

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HellSpawn » 10 Feb 2009, 05:07

edwin_yang wrote: actully, you can use the map the duel of titans for a test, just use the dig or lower terrain tool to lower the area of the hevan's region, you will see the same fog in the necro's region. :)
I've tried the raise and lower technique, but I have to use ramps for passibility which doesn't look very natural.

Since the map I'm working on has all 8 factions, I'm trying to create a different colored fog area to match each terrain.

I was thinking about using Jonas' idea combined with the point lights.

I'll try this idea, and, if it works, I'll share it with you.

(Update)
After srcewing around with the the options edwin_yang & Jonas showed me, I've gotten as close to the effect as I could using custom fog, bulk elevation, and point lights.
That's about as close as I'll get.

Thanks for all the help.
It's appreciated. :D

edwin_yang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby edwin_yang » 12 Feb 2009, 10:11

I will introduce anther way to create a certain effect I learn from others. it is a little complex but useful.first choose an arena object in the arena object list.

2.click the new button in the shared field to creat a new for the object.

3.choose a model for this object, best a 1X1 tile model to mark the centre of the effect we like to use.(cause most effect is in a large region that you can not find its centre easily)

4.click the Effect field to creat a new file for the object.

5.then SAVE and CLOSE your map, go to the data.pak file, find the Effects/_(Effect)/towns/neroplis/DragonGraveYard.xdb file(I just take this as an example, you can choose any effects in this file you want),and drag it out to somewhere else.

6.rename the file that we dragged out to the name we just created in the Effect field.

7.then drag it in your map, to the right folder you just created.

8.now open the map again, you can see the effect like this:
9.when you make sure you'v place the effect in the right place,go to the Shared filed, click it and clear the Model field:

10.the final effect should be looked like this:

You can copy and paste it as many as you want,hope it helped.
what's more,you can still add point lights to these effects.

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HellSpawn » 12 Feb 2009, 23:52

Thanks edwin_yang.
That's a neat trick.
I'll have mess around with that one.

Thanks for the tip.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 13 Feb 2009, 08:54

Well, I believe using PlayVisualEffect function is *a lot* easier. You can call it from the console ingame and experiment with parameters to get the desired look. It usually takes just several tries (which means around 1 minute of real time). When you find the params, just place the function in the map script.

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HellSpawn » 14 Feb 2009, 06:30

Thanks Franzy.
I've been messing around with the coordinates of the effects.
Seems to work pretty well.

it just takes a little fiddling around with.

Thanks for the help. :D

fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fiur » 16 Feb 2009, 04:59

@HellSpawn
I'll give it a "go" also....
And if I manage to make it I'll post an "how to doit" here later... :)

tofiffe
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tofiffe » 19 Jul 2010, 11:21

script effects are ok, but somehow they all appear at the same spot, even if i change rotation... or coordinates...

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”