[h5]Maps for slower computers

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Synonymous
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

[h5]Maps for slower computers

Unread postby Synonymous » 07 Dec 2008, 04:49

Who can recommend some maps that are fun but won't make my computer crap itself. I just finished playing Playground of the Gods which is a fun map, but I don't really enjoy spending more than 50% of my play time waiting for my turn. And I know this is an issue with a lot of players judging by some posts around here. For players with serious gaming rigs what is a reasonable amount of time you spend waiting on your turn during single play?

I know having fewer computer players helps and obviously playing on a medium or smaller sized map. I've heard topographical relief causes some heavy gpu usage also. What else can I do or avoid to keep things running fast? Putting the video settings on lowest I've noticed isn't really that low. There are still tons of transparency effects and background animation going on, makes me wish a patch would be released that turns things down farther.

So what maps can you recommend?
Last edited by Synonymous on 07 Dec 2008, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 07 Dec 2008, 10:14

Edit the title of the tread and put [H5] on the beginning, please.

On topic itself: Most M and S sized maps would do. L and XL H5 maps tend to lag.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 08 Dec 2008, 17:25

I have questioned the waiting time myself. I love the huge maps, the bigger the better. My speculation is that limiting the number of opponents will speed up the play. On impossible, I may play through a week in an hour. Most of that time is spent waiting. You could almost take a nap waiting. Good luck!

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”