Scripting Tutorial

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
darmice
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Scripting Tutorial

Unread postby darmice » 27 Oct 2008, 00:28

Is there any tutorials or basics somewhere. I see the IDs and such, but have no idea how to actually write it into something useful.I don't need to do anything really fancy, but just basic stuff like events when you pass over a certain area. If anyone could help, that would be wonderful.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 27 Oct 2008, 09:00

1) If you look in the downloads section there is an updated scripting tutorial by Pitsu, updated by redford.

2) You have to do a little diggin, but there are tons of examples of scripts in this mapmaking guild forum.

a) look in this "troubleshooting thread"
viewtopic.php?t=3793

b) this questions thread
viewtopic.php?t=9054

c) Look at my post on 08 Nov 2007 on this page to see how to modiy objects without creating a mod that affects all maps.

viewtopic.php?t=3793&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=390

When you change the outpost you can select upgraded creatures. I did this in my Shadow Dreams map.

Be sure to follow the instructions so you don't accidentally effect the play of all maps in your map folder (which is what happens when you don't make a folder for the modified object.)

3) Look at maps that use scripts.

I have 2 maps that use a lot of scripts including regions that display messages and do other things.

For my maps Click here

rdeford has made a number of maps with scripts too.

For his maps Click here.

And there are a number of others who use scripts. One of the best ways for you to learn scripting will be to read the scripting tutorial and look at examples in maps.

After you have looked at some of that stuff if you still have questions ask and somebody here will be glad to help. :)

Also, did you go through the map making exercise in the editor manual? If not do so.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

darmice
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darmice » 27 Oct 2008, 17:48

Thank you so much. You are very helpful.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”