My Map Crashes and I Cannot Seem to Fix it

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
SubtleHysteria
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

My Map Crashes and I Cannot Seem to Fix it

Unread postby SubtleHysteria » 11 Feb 2006, 22:18

help, please!

i spent months working on this map for Heroes 3. built it completely from scratch. it is perfect in every way (for how i like to play the game at least).

so here's the problem:
i start out playing the map and everything works just fine. but after pressing the hourglass between my first to fourth turn, an error message pops up with "runtime error (something something) has caused this program to shut down (blah blah blah)" it also mentions the file HEROES3.ICD

has anyone else out there ever had this problem? i've gotten all the patches i could find and nothing seems to help. i've tired validating it in the editor and nothing is wrong. do you think deleting the HEROES3.ICD file would help? probably not... :disagree:

any ideas?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 13 Feb 2006, 02:14

I had this problem in one of my maps... actually is was in The Outpost of Progress. I am not sure what the exact cause of the error was, but I did manage to fix it. The fix was rather bizarre. I'm not sure how, but I eventually came to the conclusion that the problem was somehow related to starting heroes having no starting spell. I don't remember how I came to that conclusion... but basically I made sure all of the starting heroes in the map started with a spell (I set it to the Disguise spell). After that, the problem went a way. I have no idea why.... but it's worth a try, right?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

SubtleHysteria
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SubtleHysteria » 16 Feb 2006, 07:33

very interesting...i'll try that. thanks.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Feb 2006, 14:27

Let me know if it works out - I'm curious.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

SubtleHysteria
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SubtleHysteria » 17 Feb 2006, 03:15

actually, it did. crazy weird. and you are my hero. forever.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 17 Feb 2006, 16:26

It is very strange. I have no idea how or why that works... but there you go. One of the mysteries of the universe that will probably never be solved. I'm glad it helped. :-D

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 17 Feb 2006, 16:48

Had that as well once.

I think it is caused by non-magic heroes that are customized to have a spellbook but don't have a spell in it.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 21 Feb 2006, 13:56

Also using 4 or more of 2-way teleportals of the same type can also cause a crash as the game progresses. At least I'm pretty sure the crash is caused by them.

SubtleHysteria
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SubtleHysteria » 22 Feb 2006, 00:13

ugh...kill me. now it's crashing again. i went in to fix one tiny little thing and poof! there it goes. i gave all the stupid jerks on the map spells and spellbooks. teleporters, eh? i'll try that too. except i only have one-ways on the map. whatever. maybe i'll give it a rest for today. this game hates me. it HATES me! :disagree:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 22 Feb 2006, 02:10

SubtleHysteria wrote:ugh...kill me. now it's crashing again. i went in to fix one tiny little thing and poof! there it goes. i gave all the stupid jerks on the map spells and spellbooks. teleporters, eh? i'll try that too. except i only have one-ways on the map. whatever. maybe i'll give it a rest for today. this game hates me. it HATES me! :disagree:
Just as a general tip (it's the same one I use at work): save multiple versions of your work. When I make a map, I save a new version just about every week, so that if something happens and the file gets corrupted, I only lose a week rather than several months. I know that doesn't help much now, but in the future.....

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”