What type of map(story-wise) do you prefer?

Maps and the art of mapmaking.

What type of map do you prefer?

Plain combat and no story
5%
Just the basic info now and then
10%
Good story in important places,but not too much of text
38%
Heavily story driven
45%
I just want to read it,I dont have the nerves to play
2%

Total votes: 42

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Feb 2006, 15:55

Thelonious wrote:
Wildbear wrote:The question is not if it has a story or not, but if it is story-driven. You can have a story and multiple choices. This happens a lot in RPGs, much less in Heroes maps.
Well mapmakers do try and give people choices as of how to solve quests and the like...
It's harder to offer multiple choices in Heroes and see the consequences of each choice out to the very end. It just gets too complex to handle. (Although, I've done it in limited capacity - see my H2 map Nosferatu for an example). Actually some day I plan to get back to Cave of Dreams and we have a more open story planned that will have ramifications on the story-line in future maps. The scripting capabilities offered by H3 definitely opens up many more possibilities for open story lines. We (or rather, I) didn't make a nonlinear story in THUNK and earlier maps because I was still learning the capabilities of the editor. But anyway, I suspect that the H4 engine offers similar room for "choose your own adventure" story-lines, although I haven't really seen this implemented (though I haven't played too many H4 maps either...) Unfortunately pre-WoG editors just aren't powerful enough to really do it properly.

I think if H5 offers an editor as powerful as the H4 editor AND the game doesn't stink - you'll find some more maps with nonlinear stories are being created.

(Actually - I'm a little surprised by the results of this poll. Although it can hardly be considered a large-enough sample size to statistically prove anything, I would have predicted a much more even distribution, even a little tipped towards non-story maps. I guess there are at least 7-14 people who aren't afraid of a little in-map text ;) )
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Feb 2006, 20:29

It could just be that this place doesn't really cater to a MP audience, and that story usually is an important part of the single player experience, or that most story maps are single-player and the other way 'round.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 11 Feb 2006, 22:49

Corribus wrote:It's harder to offer multiple choices in Heroes and see the consequences of each choice out to the very end.
Yes that's one thing that's hard to do in the HoMM IV editor. Also it's very hard to do things like that ina campaign - since a mapmaker can't really change the map through and through according to your decisions.

But he can certainly try. I'm gonna try and make a map like that. I'm thinking of (though my first map is still miles form completion) making the side quests have inpact on main quest chioce wise.
Grah!

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 13 Feb 2006, 02:07

Thelonious wrote:But he can certainly try. I'm gonna try and make a map like that. I'm thinking of (though my first map is still miles form completion) making the side quests have inpact on main quest chioce wise.
This is sort of what we are trying to do in Cave of Dreams (for WoG) - if I ever get back to it. The idea is that some of the main quests will have several different possible ways they can be solved, and depending on which method you use to sovle them will impact the way the story plays out AND will impact future maps in the campaign as well. obviously this sort of thing takes more time, though, because you essentially have to write more than one story for a single map. I think most players will appreicate the freedom to make their own choices (and the consequences of making them!).
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 13 Feb 2006, 09:12

My vote for good story in important places.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 13 Feb 2006, 09:48

vote Good story in important places,but not too much of text

I like have some quests dotted around with a hidden meaning or a small story making the map more interesting besides plain combat and strategy.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 13 Feb 2006, 10:11

Voted heavily story driven.

Which doesn't necessarily mean there should be a lot of text. Only that I think there should be a clear cause to what the player is doing, which can be put in anywhere between 2 and 200.000 lines. There should be a strong emotional link between the player and the map he's playing, to enhance the player's enjoyment of the map.

On non-linear stories, I think that is great, but I don't know if the work involved in creating such justifies the added diversity it brings. And believe me, it is a lot of work.

More important I think is to personalize text messages if possible. There's nothing like starring in his own show to make the player feel immerged into the map.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 13 Feb 2006, 22:21

Voted for heavily driven storyline. Always liked RPG-style maps:)

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 15 Feb 2006, 16:33

wimfrits wrote:More important I think is to personalize text messages if possible. There's nothing like starring in his own show to make the player feel immerged into the map.
I made my stories in the I person, I think it works out well, writing 'you' all the time make the text look so distant.
Grah!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 15 Feb 2006, 16:41

Thelonious wrote:I made my stories in the I person, I think it works out well, writing 'you' all the time make the text look so distant.
And 'I' is a specific main character or any character?
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Feb 2006, 16:45

I is the main antagonist which dies by the hand of You in the and :devil:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 15 Feb 2006, 19:35

wimfrits wrote:And 'I' is a specific main character or any character?
I is the main carater on that map. fx. in my first map Iaz is the main caracter which you play, so 'I' is in that map Iaz, on the second map 'I' is Lysa Nightheart the main caracter of that map - in the final map (map #5 or 7) you can choose between the two (they are enemies)
Grah!

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”