What type of map(story-wise) do you prefer?

Maps and the art of mapmaking.

What type of map do you prefer?

Plain combat and no story
5%
Just the basic info now and then
10%
Good story in important places,but not too much of text
38%
Heavily story driven
45%
I just want to read it,I dont have the nerves to play
2%

Total votes: 42

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

What type of map(story-wise) do you prefer?

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Feb 2006, 17:43

Since we have such a heated discussion between two of the mapmakers that will stay unnamed here,I decided that the public should cast the final vote.So,what type of map suits you the best?A linear hack and slash,or a completely opened story driven map?

PS:And dont worry about offending either of the unnamed mapmakers,theyll behave.Honest.Cross my heart and hope to die. :devil:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 17:46

Is this a scientific poll?

-unnamed mapmaker
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Feb 2006, 17:53

Nah.This is the Shut-Those-Twos-Yappers poll :devil:

Oh,and I just realised that it might be better to put this in the Hereoes I-IV area in order to get more responses.But its up to mods now.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 10 Feb 2006, 18:32

From my experience, the solution to such problems is usually at the middle. But it really does depend very much on taste, and everybody counterbalances everybody.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Feb 2006, 18:41

I just want to read it,I dont have the nerves to play
BEST.OPTION.EVER.... :|
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: What type of map(story-wise) do you prefer?

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Feb 2006, 18:47

DaemianLucifer wrote:A linear hack and slash,or a completely opened story driven map?
That's completely wrong, most "hack&slash" maps aren't linear when story-driven maps usually are.

Vote.. err the second one not much story.

Only the "Your neighbour is dumb, you must take his castle" and that's the story. A good level only needs an interesting environment to choose a strategy.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Feb 2006, 18:52

This could be a fun poll, but the results of it can hardly prove anyone's points. I bet, there will be no more than 20 votes. The vote of much more people is needed. We also shouldn't forget that the CH community is only minority.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 10 Feb 2006, 19:06

I chose heavily story driven. I do find other types of maps enjoyable as well however.

GOW

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Feb 2006, 19:21

Guys you should play RPGs, not TBS games.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 19:29

Why?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Feb 2006, 19:50

We do play RPGs as well, but HoMM is a strategy game with lots of role-playing elements. That's certainly one of the reasons why we like it.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Feb 2006, 20:01

It looks like you like stories, that's what RPGs are about. If what you like is the story and not the strategy, you'd have more fun playing most RPGs around.

That's what I disliked with the campaigns in H4, some H3 maps and the few WoG things I tried, it's all about the story. You're following a path drawn by the mapmaker, are given the necessary resources to beat army A or monster M.

Then all the strategy remains in the combats, which is exactly how it works in most linear RPGs, so you would enjoy a good RPG just as much as Heroes with such maps.

I'm not telling "go away from my playground", I actually like RPGs more than strategy games. I just think you'd have more of the fun you look for with an RPG, just as I do. When I play Heroes, it's for the strategy, not only in battles but on every choice made in the game. If I have to focus on what the mapmaker wants to make me do, I don't have any little moment of fun.

One of the best example is my favorite map in the whole Heroes serie: Broken Alliance. Not story driven, several strategies possible, a virtually infinite replay value. That's the kind of map I like to play in a strategy game.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Feb 2006, 20:04

Angelspit wrote:We do play RPGs as well, but HoMM is a strategy game with lots of role-playing elements. That's certainly one of the reasons why we like it.
Many RPG elements, right, but what keeps it away from being a full RPG is that most maps in the serie are not story-driven. So IMO if one likes story driven maps, he likes RPGs, not TBS.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 20:06

Wildbear wrote:It looks like you like stories, that's what RPGs are about. If what you like is the story and not the strategy, you'd have more fun playing most RPGs around.
To my mind, the beauty of Heroes is that it is versatile enough to be anything you want it to be. It can be an awesome strategy game, but it can also be a great vehicle to tell a story. Sometimes within the space of a single map. Some people like it more for its strategic elements. Others like it because it offers a relaxed RPG atmosphere. My guess is that the people originally responsible for conceiving of the game probably only saw it as a strategic game and never thought it might be used for RP purposes. But look at some of the great role-playing story maps that have been made over the years! Some of them are downright incredible... and there have been many incredible strategy scenarios too. The success of one type of map does not preclude the success of another type of map - Heroes is different things for different people.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 20:08

Wildbear wrote: Many RPG elements, right, but what keeps it away from being a full RPG is that most maps in the serie are not story-driven. So IMO if one likes story driven maps, he likes RPGs, not TBS.
I like RPGs a lot, but one thing that is often missing from RPGs is a good strategic element. Heroes offers both, which is why I like it so much.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Feb 2006, 20:12

I didn't like any of those maps. Any RPG I played is much better on that point than Heroes.

And you wrote that Heroes 'offers both'. That is not true on the most story-driven scripted maps around. It removes the strategy. That's why in my opinion, having a story can be good, but being fully story driven is a bad thing.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 20:15

Wildbear wrote:And you wrote that Heroes 'offers both'. That is not true on the most story-driven scripted maps around. It removes the strategy. That's why in my opinion, having a story can be good, but being fully story driven is a bad thing.
Then maybe you just haven't yet played a good story-driven strategic map. ;) Maybe they "are not so popular" because good ones are so hard to make??

Btw just so we're clear, when I say I have played many good story maps, I'm referring to pre-H4 maps. Because I have not played any good maps that fall into this category for H4. For that matter I have not played many good maps (IMO) at all for H4, although to be fair that's through no particular fault of the mapmakers.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 10 Feb 2006, 20:15

In conclusion: Heroes is anything you want it to be! :)

Really now, it can't be defined as exclusively TBS or anything. There are as many views of it as there are players, as each of us percieves it differently. The differences between our views might not be many, but in essence, each of us enjoys it in his/her own manner.

Everything is possible, that's what I always say.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 20:16

theLuckyDragon wrote: Everything is possible...
Except the impossible. :D

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Feb 2006, 20:19

Wildbear wrote:That's what I disliked with the campaigns in H4, some H3 maps and the few WoG things I tried, it's all about the story.
You are probably referring to the Life campaign. Other campaigns, such as the Nature campaign and those in the expansions, just give you a couple of descriptive events (that can be skipped without any problem) and let you go on with the fighting.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”