TOE - renaming objects

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
mweil86
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

TOE - renaming objects

Unread postby mweil86 » 09 Jul 2008, 20:39

I am trying to change the name and description of an artifact in the editor. I went into the artifact shared properties, went under messagesFileRef, selected New, typed in the new name, and saved it. When I test the map, the original name is still there. How do I change the name and description? Does the message need to be in a certain folder?

Thanks.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Re: TOE - renaming objects

Unread postby rdeford » 10 Jul 2008, 00:37

mweil86 wrote:I am trying to change the name and description of an artifact in the editor. I went into the artifact shared properties, went under messagesFileRef, selected New, typed in the new name, and saved it. When I test the map, the original name is still there. How do I change the name and description? Does the message need to be in a certain folder?

Thanks.
Try using:

Code: Select all

OverrideObjectTooltipNameAndDescription( objectName, name, desc) 
This function is well described in the manual. I haven't actually tried it on artifacts, but worked on plenty of other objects I've tried it on. You must create resource text files for the name and description text in order to use this function. See the The Basics of Heroes V Scripting ver. 2.0 for H5, HOF, & ToTE guide that you can download from CH for instructions on how to create and refer to resource text files.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 10 Jul 2008, 07:10

This function does not work on artifacts and towns, I checked.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 10 Jul 2008, 15:11

Franzy wrote:This function does not work on artifacts and towns, I checked.
Hummm... Too bad. So, how about creating a custom object Franzy, as you describe in your earlier posting? Can you create a custom artifact and the custom object a new name?
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 10 Jul 2008, 15:25

Unfortunately, artifacts are not map objects by nature. They play quite a role in game mechanics. You can't just add a new artifact. This can only be arranged via a mod that changes A LOT. At least, I think so.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”