New H5 Scripting Tutorial???

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

New H5 Scripting Tutorial???

Unread postby rdeford » 26 May 2008, 14:30

Metathron wrote: I knew the HoMM V editor was user-hostile, but I didn't know you had to be a rocket scientist to use it.
IMO, the H5 Editor is a tool created by the H5 development team for use by the programmers to create the maps that shipped with the game. I think that Ubisoft didn't include the development of a map editor in their contract with the developers. Then, as an after thought, due to fan pressure, they realized they had to have a map editor and took what was available. Consequently, given its intended users (i.e., programmers) the H5 Editor is not user-hostel.

Yes, in order to write scripts, you do have to learn how to write and use a programing language, albeit at a far lower level than a professional programmer would. Given that a non-professional skill level is all that is required, it really isn't that hard. I am merely a retired technical writer, and I managed to learn how to write H5 scripting with just a vague familiarity with Apple BASIC that I gained about 30 years ago.

Tell you what Metathron, I love HOMM, and it saddens me that so many of the fan map makers that made H3 and H4 live on in our hearts have abandoned H5 because of the difficulty in learning how to write scripts for it.

So, I hereby make this commitment to you: I will author an H5 Scripting Tutorial that will take you step-by-step through the process of writing an H5 script. I will explain the how and why of each step and explain the underlying programming concepts in plain language. By the end of this tutorial, you will have the knowledge and the skill required to create your own custom, scripted H5 maps. All I ask from you is for you to "beta test" the tutorial by going through it and doing all the exercises and make comments, suggestions, and criticisms prior to me releasing it to the HOMM community.

How about it Metathron, and/or any other interested map makers, any volunteers?
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 26 May 2008, 17:35

When your work is done, I'll gladly convert it into a pdf-manual if you're interested?
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 26 May 2008, 18:07

Robenhagen wrote:When your work is done, I'll gladly convert it into a pdf-manual if you're interested?
Always a pleasure to work with you Robenhagen, but would you also be willing to beta test the tutorial?
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 27 May 2008, 13:16

I would like to beta test it then. I have some programming skills and would like to learn how to make maps in H5 and this looks like the best way.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 27 May 2008, 14:26

rdeford wrote:Always a pleasure to work with you Robenhagen, but would you also be willing to beta test the tutorial?
Thank you and likewise. I can't beta test your manual, since my pc refuses to run H5. I can, however, read it through and see if it makes any sense to me ;)
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 27 May 2008, 14:40

@ Akul & Robenhagen--

So, now it begins. Give me two or three weeks and I will send you both a draft.

Anyone else?
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

anoamas321
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby anoamas321 » 09 Jul 2008, 10:28

yh can u send me a copy plz

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 09 Jul 2008, 14:11

anoamas321 wrote:yh can u send me a copy plz
I am about two weeks away from having a first draft ready for review and comments. I will send you a copy as soon as it's ready.

Your CH profile does not have an email address. Send me your email address.

Just keep in mind that it is a first draft and might not be as good as it will eventually be. However, if you send me comments I will mention you in the credits.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”