New H5 RPG/Quest map - Mercenaries - Playtesters needed!

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 06 Jul 2008, 14:48

OK, version 1.3 is out!
Download here: http://rapidshare.com/files/127613166/M ... G.ZIP.html

New features:
-Several newly introduced bugs corrected
-Now no fast-growing creatures armies block vital plot spots.
-Combat script redone.
- Score system implemented (for tournaments)
- Now camera only shows reinforcements caravan arrival once
- Now war machines also require fee (maintainance cost)! The cost scales up with WM-related skills. If you can't pay their MC for too long, they will break. Also, you can now leave you machines in the Fortress and take them back whenever needed.
- You can now start the game with a "clean" hero (with no predefined starting skills)

Mystic Phoenix
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mystic Phoenix » 06 Jul 2008, 17:28

Changes sound nice overall.

I have one question, though:
Franzy wrote: - You can now start the game with a "clean" hero (with no predefined starting skills)
I see the question in the text file, but I wonder, when and where it is asked. I played some turns, (about two weeks) and until now it was not asked, nor does the fortuneteller ask me (as you once suggested). Maybe I have to play the map seriously to discover it, just wanted to make sure, that it is triggered.

You won't tell us what combat scripts redone in dacht does, will you? :)
True heroes don't need a grid.
ImageImage

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 06 Jul 2008, 19:03

Holy crap!!!! I forgot to update MapScript in English version!!!!!

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 06 Jul 2008, 19:07

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 06 Jul 2008, 19:09

As for combat script, I simply made it stable. Before, in case of unholy aura it would break if none of the enemies is a valid target for spell (upg. furies are immune to Weakness, foe example.). The same is true for holy aura. I also added a trick for combat with Nomar. Try to fight him and you will see :)

Mystic Phoenix
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mystic Phoenix » 06 Jul 2008, 19:34

You seem to have forgotten deleting Brand's skills. When starting with a "clean" hero he levels up twice but still has advanced destructive magic + 2 new skills.
Edit: Just had a quick look at the script, and indeed, you only take away the xp.

Besides the question is somewhat irritating, as most times when you ask an "or" question which you should answer with yes or no. I simply suggest to change it in "ok - predefined skills, cancel - clean hero" which I will change in translation, anyway.
ImageImage

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 07 Jul 2008, 00:43

No. I'm just twice stupid. I updated script, but forgot that I changed the map also. All the files need to be updated, not just the map script :( NOW here should be the fine version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/127736706/M ... D.ZIP.html

As for the question, you're totally right. I did so in Russuian version. Don't know why I left yes/no in English :) Maybe I'm stupid three times :)

I'm totally pulling Homer today :)

Mystic Phoenix
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mystic Phoenix » 07 Jul 2008, 22:46

Next attempt of playing the map, not seriously again, just trying some things out.

A bug occurred concerning war machines. In only bought ammo cart art the factory, after capturing Fire Hall, I could leave it in town. When I left the town; I was asked if I want to get back war machines (as intended), but only the info screen with ciurrent prices shows up and I wan't asked if I want to get back the ammo cart, nor get it back automatically.
I never used scripts in Heroes, but I know some programming. I didn't find out why it doesn't work though. The way you did it, seemed to be logical in my eyes.

Three more questions/notes:
1) Why do you suggest to use quick save instead of AutoSave?
2) Are random events (like increase of fees) set, once you start the map? I mean, does reload help to avoid increase of fees/braking of war machines or is the result the same after a reload? (which would be better for tournament play)
3) I still think, bonus for slave trade is too high (on heroic with larger neutral stacks, you earn the money quite easy). But you said you like it that way, stilll I think, 20K and 10 K gold is too easy to earn.
ImageImage

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 08 Jul 2008, 07:56

No, there is actually a bug in the script. You will be offered a cart, only if you have also left ballista and tent. And you will be offered tent, only if you left ballista :( Corrected it.

Answers:
1) Because autosave eats 3-5 second of real time EVERY TURN (at least on my comp). As no time is spent on enemies' moves that's just a waste of time that disrupts gameplay. So, nothing technical :) Just a recommendation :)

2) Fees increases and caravan arrivals are timer based. In the beginning, I set up a timer (a random number) for each event. Timers are subtracted 1 every turn. When timer reaches 0, the event is triggered. After that I set up a new timer (if needed), by setting the timer to another random number.
So, you can't get another result by reloading a save prior the event.
Other things (like arrival of caravan in Shady Business quest or mercenaries desertions) are implemented differently. I call this system Doomsday timer. Say you want an event happen in 5 or 10 days. And with each day more and more probable. In that case I start a Doomsday timer. It gains 1 point daily. Every day I compare Doomsday counter with a random number from 5 to 10. If Doomsday timer is larger than this number - CABOOM! :)
So in this case you CAN get another result by reloading. However, the chances will be quite low on day 9 :) - just 20%. And on day 10 the event will happen anyways.

3) Look, the Dark Side should be tempting, shouldn't it? How are you going to corrupt Jedi otherwise?! :)

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 14 Jul 2008, 12:17

Final version 1.31 is out. I sencerely hope this will be the last release, 'cause I've already started working on my next -tons of scripts and unusual gameplay- map.
http://rapidshare.com/files/129611112/M ... 1.zip.html

Mystic Phoenix
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mystic Phoenix » 14 Jul 2008, 17:47

And German version will be out soon, too, I hope. Tonight I'll finish the last translations, and then I will need some time for some proof reading, which should be completed by the weekend at the latest.

I'm already looking forward to your next project.
ImageImage

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 14 Jul 2008, 19:49

I'll implement there a new idea for controlling hero's army size, taken from the new incarnation of King's Bounty :) Don't think it will be out very soon, though. It will be large 176x176, and I have to work really hard on my dissertation to finish it till autumn. So, maybe somewhere around X-mas :)

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 06 Jun 2009, 16:26

I've played mercenaries on normal (I'm starting on heroic now) and here are my observations:
I made very little use of the mercs, only some archers mainly played with the dwarf forces.
Had too much money (didn't use war machines at all).
In the valley towards the temple there is a stack of peasants guarding a treasure chest (and maybe some other materials, I don't remember) consisting (on normal) of over 79000 peasants!!! you don't have to fight them but still why have such an astronomical army guarding a treasure chest? (how many are there on heroic? 790000!?)
This is a very enjoyable map, really beautifully done and scripted.
I started playing "coming home" and got stuck on the dolmen puzzle, very frustrating, first because it marks me as extremely stupid and second because I cannot finish the map so I'm very glad in this map the puzzle is optional.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 07 Jun 2009, 10:45

Peasants army is a special battle, there are others like that. To win these, you have to use your wits ;) You'll need a special spell or use certain unit ability.

In this very battle your best friends are Pit Spawns (alternative upgrade for pit demons). Their melee attack deals additional 2 damage to EVERY unit in the stack. This translates to additional 2*79000 = 158000 damage. In other words, since peasants have 3 hp, your Pit Spawn will kill at least 2/3 of the stack in one hit (upgraded peasants have 6 hp, so "only" 1/3 will be killed), even if it will be alone! As you can have several of these as single units (each will kill 2/3-1/3 of the stack), plus there is always Clone spell, so you can quickly reduce huge stacks to reasonable quantities.

As for Coming Home, there is a way to bypass the puzzle by paying huge amount of gold to a certain NPC who lives nearby (in case you're playing latest version, of course). Anyway, yopu can always cheat. Just enter in the console command "@cheatpuzzle()" and the field will disappear.

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 07 Jun 2009, 11:37

Franzy wrote:As for Coming Home, there is a way to bypass the puzzle by paying huge amount of gold to a certain NPC who lives nearby (in case you're playing latest version, of course). Anyway, yopu can always cheat. Just enter in the console command "@cheatpuzzle()" and the field will disappear.
Well I've got Coming Home from here and I assume it's the latest version but then again maybe not cause there is no NPC at all in the underground, unless you are talking about the 2 worlocks wich I killed them both, maybe I shouldn't have but they both didn't seem like nice guys so I killed them.
But i'll go back and check if there is another I've missed.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 07 Jun 2009, 12:33

Latest version is 1.12, it comes in english, russian and chinese language versions. You can get it here http://heroes.ag.ru/heroes5/maps/single ... g_Home.zip.

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 07 Jun 2009, 15:41

Thanks Franzy but that's the same version I've got from here and that I'm playing.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 07 Jun 2009, 23:17

Then you only need to visit a guy who lives in Minotaur's Labirynth not far from the puzzle.

Belchior
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Belchior » 08 Jun 2009, 11:54

map download link is broken :(

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 08 Jun 2009, 14:08

It's because of the last '.'. Just copy-paste the url in your browser and remove the last '.' after 'zip'.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”