New H5 RPG/Quest map - Mercenaries - Playtesters needed!

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

New H5 RPG/Quest map - Mercenaries - Playtesters needed!

Unread postby Franzy » 23 Apr 2008, 08:33

--------------------------------------------------
Map details

Name: Mercenaries
Size: large (128x128)
Type: Quest/RPG
Overgame difficulty: expert
Multiplayer: No
Players: 1/4
Game version: ToE 3.0

Current map version: 0.9
Author: Franzy (franzy@hotbox.ru)
----------------------------------------------------

Comments

One thing that always bummed me in all of the HOMM games is that after playing any map for a while you can amass an army so strong that all the battles turn into lazy enemy beating. Virtually there is no limit to how many troops your hero can have because you don't have to pay their wages! And that's a huge balance problem, to my mind. So I decided to make a map where you *have to pay* maintainance cost for your troops. This will force player to use as compact army as possible to save money. So, no more brute force, welcome finesse tactics!
This new rule is not the only one - check readme file.

This map may look like a mod, but it's not! It DOES NOT modify the game data and will NOT affect any other maps.

Features

- A detailed world with its own history and mysteries for you to solve
- Over 6000 lines of code to make the world of Heroes much more interactive!
- A non-linear storyline with several possible endings
- Over 25 long and complex quests (not just kill-that bring-this, but whole multistaged adventures)
- New rules to rebalance the game
- Over 400 Kb of texts spiced with humor to make a strategy game real fun role-playing experience

N.B. For all who loved/hated dolmen puzzle on my "Coming Home" - Yes, there is a puzzle on this map (as always on my maps). However, it is totally optional - just giving you a fine reward for being smart ^^)

History:

0.9 - Public beta for playtesting. All comments and opinions are welcomed, including reports of spelling and grammar errors - English is not my native, you know.

P.S. Unlike some mapmakers (no pointing fingers :)) I carefully de-bug my scripts and playtest the map myself several times, so I can assure you: map is fully playable and winnable. However, some glitches could have escaped my attention. If you encounter something strange, please report it to me :) I would also like comments on balance. Were there battles that seemed too easy or impossible to win? What do you think of the daily-fee system? How much you liked the rewards (gold) from quests - should they be reduced/increased? And et cetera.

Link for map download (500 Kb):
http://rapidshare.com/files/109730915/M ... 9.zip.html

Be sure to read through README file!

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 23 Apr 2008, 17:47

I've downloaded the map and will definitely play it when I get the chance.

That might not be for a couple weeks due to my current schedule, but I will definitely give my feedback when I'm able.

It sounds like a neat idea, and I'm looking forward to taking it for a test drive.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Testing Mercenaries

Unread postby rdeford » 24 Apr 2008, 17:12

Franzy

Sounds like a great concept and map to me. I like to see mapmakers adding new twists to the crusty old HOMM model, and you definitely know how to toss the scripting code around.

I'll give it a try. I am a slow player so I hope I can get it done in time for my comments to be of value to you.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 24 Apr 2008, 18:47

Take you time :) Version 1.0 will be there only after patch 3.1 is out. The patch will add some juicy features - like dialogs with several possible answers (not just two like in QuestionBox) and other things, including new triggers. I need them to add a couple cool quests I can't implement with current script abilities.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 24 Apr 2008, 20:00

Franzy wrote:...after patch 3.1 is out. The patch will add some juicy features - like dialogs with several possible answers (not just two like in QuestionBox) and other things, including new triggers. I need them to add a couple cool quests I can't implement with current script abilities.
WOW! I have desired dialogs with several possible answers since day one! I am currently working on The Virgin Of Ponce, Episode 3 and I can use them to add more interactivity. I can hardly wait!
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 25 Apr 2008, 06:15

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 25 Apr 2008, 13:20

Perfect.

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 28 Apr 2008, 17:38

Well, I got a chance to start playing the map, and I'm a little overwhelmed by the wages costs. Even just hiring a handful of chumpy troops for blockers can wind up costing 1,000+ gold per week rather quickly.

I think the thing that I found frustrating is that the map has two competing themes - merc wages (which demand time efficiency) versus numerous quests (which require time spent exploring). The two seem at odds with one another, because you really can't do both in a useful fashion.

I don't know if it's possible, but I think it might be better if mercs charged wages per battle in which you used them. You spend the normal price to hire them, and then you pay them each time they have to fight. Paying 1100 gold for a Titan to walk with you to the next building in town just seems silly.

-----

That said, I'm going to start over when I get the chance and simply not purchase mercs until absolutely necessary. That seems counter to one purpose of the map, but how else can you explore without running out of cash?

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 29 Apr 2008, 05:18

Pay-per-battle is in interesting idea! I have to think it over. For now I'm going to stick with pay-per-day, however.

I've already decided to make fees difficulty dependent. Current ones will be for the 3d difficulty. Also I will cut off fees for higher tiers. Some other will also be reduced a bit.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 04 May 2008, 11:54

OK, version 1.0 is out. Changes:
- Added new objects and enchantments miniquest.
- Hill Fort can now make alternative upgrades
- Added some visual effects
- Fees were changed. Melee fighters (cannonfodder) cost a lot less. Shooters and casters are still high.
- Starting money increased.
- Haegar sends stronger reinforcements for plot advancing and now also some weak reinforcements periodically.
- Added another mine underground.
- Added several low level creature stacks and many easy-to-pickup treasures for early hero development.
- Numerous spelling and grammar errors corrected.
- A few other changes (creature stacks and enemy heroes armies, treasures)

Download here now http://rapidshare.com/files/112454441/M ... 0.zip.html or wait until it appears in the maps section :)

Mystic Phoenix
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mystic Phoenix » 12 May 2008, 08:40

I haven't played the old version, but in new version I had no difficulties in paying troops on heroic level.
Once you have captured the fortress (week 3 at the latest) it gets quite easy. I relied only on arcane archers and dwarven troops (and had neither estates nor diplomacy which might help a bit).

After I captured the gold mines, I had so much money I even couldn't spend at all.

I finished the map yesterday being a good guy, maybe I'll give it another try being evil.

To all you Heroes lovers out there, you definitely should give this map a try, its really worth it and an enjoyable experience. Thanks for that great piece of work
True heroes don't need a grid.
ImageImage

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 14 May 2008, 00:17

I have only just started playing the map, and the one thing I have noticed is the need for a larger text veiwing box. As stated in the readme file there are mods to do this that can be downloaded, my question is, where from?? The mod at Celstial Heavens doesn't appear to work in TOTE. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated, thanks..
I THINK SO THEREFORE I AM

Mystic Phoenix
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mystic Phoenix » 14 May 2008, 10:48

The one I used is from our site drachenwald.net. It's a German site, but you can follow this link and download it from there.

Edit: Maybe you must be logged in to view the forum message, so this should be the direct link.

Have Fun!
True heroes don't need a grid.
ImageImage

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 14 May 2008, 11:09

Well, you can also try to be neutral :) Actually, there are 4 different endings, 1 for evil, 1 for neutral, 2 for good (depends on a way you resolve a certain quest).

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 14 May 2008, 11:30

Mystic Phoenix wrote:The one I used is from our site drachenwald.net. It's a German site, but you can follow this link and download it from there.

Edit: Maybe you must be logged in to view the forum message, so this should be the direct link.

Have Fun!
Was this answer meant for me??? If so, thanks, but the associated .zip file comes up empty. Could be because it's in German and I'm using English.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 14 May 2008, 14:42

The links works ok. Try right-clicking it and choosing "save as".

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 15 May 2008, 00:15

Thanks, and it works well on your great map. :D

Darian Raketh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Some feedback for you.

Unread postby Darian Raketh » 22 May 2008, 07:32

HI Franzy;

Firstly what a great map. Sadly I only get to play Heroes about 3 hours per week now but this is the map I'm currently playing.

My only comment is that I've got soooo much money now that perhaps if you condsider doing something similar that the higher your hero level the more they have to pay for the troops? Normally, as a game goes on you get more money so in theory it could work.

Keep up the good work.

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 22 May 2008, 10:37

Actually I was thinking about it myself. Too little money in the beginning, too much in the end. But making wages level-dependent is not very logical. Instead I came up with another idea: wages will increase during the game (random timed event, separately for every creature). It's logical and it's fun :)

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 24 May 2008, 05:50

I already browsed the web several times to spot a new map of yours and was delighted to see that Mercenaries could be downloaded as I really enjoy the subtle way you use customized map objects to create a truly convincing atmosphere. I'm currently several weeks into the map and having great fun so far!

Below the quirks I noticed till now. I'll post more as play progresses, but free-time is working against me, so it might take a while.

- map description uses terms as "nice" and "original". As you cannot read the players mind, imo it is unwise to give out subjective praises to your own map.
1. while these may eventually prove to properly describe my own sentiments, in my experience such words are only used by people unsure of the quality of their own work. So if I had not played your previous work, these words would have set me off on a *negative* foot, which is less than your map deserves.
2. they can never be true. There will *always* be players that think your map stinks :)

- day 1 introduction text:
1. "a very specific map" -> ofcourse. One can only play 1 map at a time, so it will always be a specific map :) You probably mean 'unique'
2. "or bring larger army" -> "or bring a larger army"
3. it is advised to use a large message box mod, but where do I get one? The only one I can find is the one made by Pitsu, but that one seems to only be compatible with the standard version of H5.

- day 1 text:
1. "were the set" -> "where the set"
2. "the gears" -> not entirely sure, but I think it should be "the gear"

- day 1 prologue text:
1. "if the conflict will break open" -> "if the conflict breaks open"
2. "I will wait for your messenger" -> sounds like he will sit quiet and do nothing until the messenger arrives. Something like "I will await your messenger" would be beter I think.

- I think that the HoMM text capitals are not suited to be put in sequence, making the speaking person in texts difficult to read. In stead of capitalizing the names, you could consider coloring the names.

- on my first start of the map I got the week of idleness, reducing the initiative of my Dwarven units. I restarted; not knowing I wouldn't do any fighting the first week. Now, my second week is a week of sorrow, making capturing the town a lot harder than it should have been. I think the map would be better balanced if the first 2 weeks were 'normal'

- AURAS encounter:
1. "It could meant" -> "It could mean"
2. "of ancient" -> "of an ancient"

- AURAS said he lived in the city of Astarya, but his city is named Elyss, which is slightly confusing.

- secondary obj The Golden Wizard:
"very intelligent and omniscient" -> unless AURAS is a divine being, he can not be omniscient.

- secondary obj The Old Fortress:
1. "Recapture" -> that means the fortress was lost first. Even if this is true, Brand can not know that the fortress was lost in battle, so it should be "Capture"
2. "so you could" -> "so you can"

- tutorial Quests:
"It's good idea" -> "It's a good idea"

- quest hut Nymoen:
1. "if there anyone" -> "if there is anyone"
2. "on important" -> "on an important"

- AURAS information at Elyss:
"three magor factions" -> "three major factions"

- general information:
"If when the day comes" -> "If the day comes when"

- KYRRIDAN quest hut:
"who never seem" -> "who never seems"

- on fortress capture:
"lot of efforts" -> "lot of effort"

- fortress bio:
1. "Once a" -> "Once an"
2. "a little more" -> "little more"
3. "a ruins" -> "ruins" or "a ruin"

- slightly confusing that the "(not visited)" text remains at quest huts' right-click info, but you probably can't do anything about that.

- "Next: tavern". But the next building turns out to be a blacksmith.

- text upon building blacksmith:
"of a great use" -> "of great use"

- I don't understand why the text after capturing the fortress town said I also needed resources to rebuild the town. I don't seem to have spent anything. Or did you mean requiring resources to upgrade buildings?

- enhantment of speed does not seem to have any effect

- secondary obj Ancient Portals:
text mentions the procedure to activate the portals twice

- Fincles at the gate:
"a valuable information" -> "valuable information"

- enchantment of prosperity only lasted 2 or 3 days! That's hardly worth the resources I spent on it :/

- upon reporting Fincles to the city guard I get a 'new objective' pop up instead of an 'objective completed'. The Shady business objectives is gone though..

- my resource silo is not producing any crystal at all

- it seems the scenario description mentions "complex guests" or does the q resemble a g in this font?

- one of the rogue mages is at a dark crystal. Upon right-clicking the crystal I get the "skeleton (not visited)" standard message
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”