How much time to make a map

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 17:19

Veldrynus wrote:I am saying that "heavy story RPG" maps are usually less popular than other map styles. The "usually" means that this applies to a larger number of maps ( not 100%!!!), and the "less popular" part means "less popular"and not "not at all popular".
And I'm saying that heavy story maps may be less popular or they may be more popular. Who knows - but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't copious amounts of people who enjoy both. (I don't think you have statistics to show it either way, quantitatively or qualitatively. ) So I don't see why you feel the need to tell people to make short story maps, as if that's what everybody likes, which I why I have injected my opinion into this thread.
I have the feeling that you feel offended by my opinions, beacuse my mapmaking-philosophy differs from yours.
Perhaps some poll should could prove my points.
Please - I may think you're wrong but there are much better things in this world to be offended about than some random guy's opinion on HoMM mapmaking. :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Feb 2006, 17:34

Corribus wrote:Please - I may think you're wrong but there are much better things in this world to be offended about than some random guy's opinion on HoMM mapmaking. :D
Yes like those guys putting onions in your hamburger when you specifically said "Hold the onions" :devil:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 17:39

DaemianLucifer wrote: Yes like those guys putting onions in your hamburger when you specifically said "Hold the onions" :devil:
I hate those people. How hard is it to remember "NO ONIONS, IDIOT"? :mad:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Feb 2006, 17:50

Corribus wrote: And I'm saying that heavy story maps may be less popular or they may be more popular.blah blah blah) So I don't see why you feel the need to tell people to make short story maps, as if that's what everybody likes, which I why I have injected my opinion into this thread.

Please - I may think you're wrong but there are much better things in this world to be offended about than some random guy's opinion on HoMM mapmaking. :D
Yeah, right. I am random guy for you. Even if I am not an expert in everything, I know how to make maps, how to make people download them and enjoy them. I've wasted as few years on this, so I damn know what I am talking about.
The worst thing about heavy story maps is that they require TOO MUCH time to be made, and there is no proof that this huge time investment pays off.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Feb 2006, 17:55

Veldrynus wrote: The worst thing about heavy story maps is that they require TOO MUCH time to be made, and there is no proof that this huge time investment pays off.
I thought people make custom maps because they like to do that,and not in order for it to pay off.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Feb 2006, 17:58

DaemianLucifer wrote:Veldrynus,Corribus is just jealous that youre able to make a great map in such a short period.Seriosly,how do you do it?Do you glue yourself in front of the editor untill you finish? :|
Never underestimate the power of time pressure. :D

I thought people make custom maps because they like to do that,and not in order for it to pay off.

Yeah, you're right here. Different people may have different motivations, but if you spend months on making a map wich gets around 300-500 downloads, and you recieve absolutely no feedback at all, except a few random ratings, you might feel like you have wasted your time.
Last edited by Veldrynus on 10 Feb 2006, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Feb 2006, 18:00

But what can pressure you that hard?Someone saying "If you dont make a map in a month,Ill blow your F***ing brains out!"?? :|

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 18:08

Veldrynus wrote: Yeah, right. I am random guy for you. Even if I am not an expert in everything, I know how to make maps, how to make people download them and enjoy them. I've wasted as few years on this, so I damn know what I am talking about.
Uh, ok... touchy much? Sorry but you're just a random person, just like the rest of us. Don't take it personally. I really don't care enough about your opinion to be offended by it, no matter how long you've been making maps. That certainly doesn't entitle you to be THE VOICE on mapmaking. I've been doing it for a decade, so what? That doesn't make your opinion right, or wrong. And besides, there might be those who have played your maps and didn't like them, and may contest your claim of "I damn knowing what I am talking about". That doesn't make them right either. This isn't a hard science, after all.
The worst thing about heavy story maps is that they require TOO MUCH time to be made, and there is no proof that this huge time investment pays off.
I guess if you are doing it for the sheer purpose of basking in the adulation of random people, then that might be true. I do it because I enjoy writing, and I enjoy the tinkering with the editor, so I don't see it as a "time investment". It's not a business and I don't have some patented secret to try to make people download maps, which apparently you do. Does it take me a year to make a map? Maybe, but it's just a hobby, so I don't really care. If I enjoy the process, than for me it "pays off", whether it takes a few days or 12 months. I don't deny that it's nice to hear from people who play a map of mine and want to tell me they enjoyed it, but this is not why I make maps.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 18:09

DaemianLucifer wrote: I thought people make custom maps because they like to do that,and not in order for it to pay off.
You hit the nail on the head.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 18:17

Veldrynus wrote: I thought people make custom maps because they like to do that,and not in order for it to pay off.

Yeah, you're right here. Different people may have different motivations, but if you spend months on making a map wich gets around 300-500 downloads, and you recieve absolutely no feedback at all, except a few random ratings, you might feel like you have wasted your time.
If I enjoyed making them map, then what difference does it make how many people download it? If I enjoyed my time, why was it wasted?

And if you didn't enjoy your time making the map, then one wonders: why did you spend hours doing it in the first place? Just so you could read comments from random people telling you that they liked your map? Now THAT sounds like a waste of time.

(wow sorry for the multiple posts, mods)

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Feb 2006, 18:41

Corribus wrote: Uh, ok... touchy much? Sorry but you're just a random person, just like the rest of us. Don't take it personally. I really don't care enough about your opinion to be offended by it, no matter how long you've been making maps. That certainly doesn't entitle you to be THE VOICE on mapmaking. I've been doing it for a decade, so what? That doesn't make your opinion right, or wrong. And besides, there might be those who have played your maps and didn't like them, and may contest your claim of "I damn knowing what I am talking about". That doesn't make them right either. This isn't a hard science, after all.
If we all are random persons (and we are), why does it need to be mentioned at all? This is your way to show your complete disrespect. Your highly arrogant and ignorant message can be translated this way : " shut up kid, I am da man! ". Man, you're pathetic...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 18:42

Veldrynus wrote: If we all are random persons (and we are), why does it need to be mentioned at all? This is your way to show your complete disrespect. Your highly arrogant and ignorant message can be translated this way : " shut up kid, I am da man! ". Man, you're pathetic...
Wow.... :|

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 10 Feb 2006, 19:40

Corribus wrote:there are much better things in this world to be offended about than some random guy's opinion on HoMM mapmaking. :D
Vel is the best Heroes 4 mapmaker ever. Period.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 19:58

Vlaad II wrote:Vel is the best Heroes 4 mapmaker ever. Period.
I'm glad you think so.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Feb 2006, 19:59

Vlaad II wrote: Vel is the best Heroes 4 mapmaker ever. Period.
Thanks. :proud:

It is useless to argue about who is the best mapmaker. There are many mapmaking grandmasters in this business, who have all the necessary skills to be the best. Making a ranking would be unfair and wrong. It i just like arguing about who is the best composer Mozart or Beethoven ? I think it is Bach ! LoL

I am not The Voice, but I am A Voice. If someone ignores it, it's his business. If he does disagree with it and communicates this, he should try to prove his opinion. If he cannot do it, at least he should have the decency of not trying to attack with personal insults.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2006, 20:00

Veldrynus wrote:If he cannot do it, at least he should have the decency of not trying to attack with personal insults.
Exactly.

FantoMaxJM
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby FantoMaxJM » 10 Feb 2006, 22:54

Heroes III map (XL including underground, very short storyline) called "Rescue Rangers" took me about 3 days. Although I should have used at least few minutes more to make sure I had fixed ALL the bugs! :bug: I played it in High school with my friend and because we lived so far from each others (50 km), we decided to play by using a floppy disk and saving one turn a day. "Hot"seat (read: FREEZING COLD seat) game lasted 6 months (about 3 months in game time) when we finally noticed a bug which prevented me to go in the underground!!! Some might say: "what a waste of time", but I´d reply: "what an excellent lifetime lesson learned... hopefully."
Ps. Needless to say that I was winning at that stage.. :wall:

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 11 Feb 2006, 00:14

we decided to play by using a floppy disk and saving one turn a day
That's, uh...

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Feb 2006, 08:34

Corribus wrote:
Vlaad II wrote:Vel is the best Heroes 4 mapmaker ever. Period.
I'm glad you think so.
You want a similar endorsement, Corribus? It would take me no time to whip up, and then you and Vel can resume trying to come out as the greater master of mapmaking ;) (which we all know is what you're trying to do, even if you claim otherwise :devil: )
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 20 Feb 2006, 12:31

It's pretty much variable to me how long it takes to make a map. Things that affect it most are easily the inspiration (without an idea there won't be map, better the idea more motivated you are), motivation (which I've been lacking badly last two and half years or so, bored to the game I guess), perspiration (how much work it requires set by standards of the author) and time obviously.

As far as I recall, it took 3 months to create Trapped Inside The Beast (I hope I've improved my grammar since then but at least I managed to create a fascinating branching story), 1 month to make X Never Marks The Spot (propably the one I most enjoyed creating & playing), 2-3 months to make Spiritmongers(my most script heavy finished map atleast in terms of complexity), 2 days to complete Fierce and Furious and three years and still counting Chaotic Playgrounds (trying to finish it soon(tm); someone please give me a kick, preferably non-physical).

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”