[H4]Faceless Destinies

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

[H4]Faceless Destinies

Unread postby Akul » 01 Jan 2008, 13:53

Since I changed the school, I am now every day at home. Because of that, I can start mapmaking again.

I am now making a campaign called "Faceless Destinies". My goals for this campaign are:
-a good, complex storyline with many characters
-many choices and consequences - everything you do has a consequence and Mission failure might not result in Campaign failure but altered storyline
-new features to enhance gameplay
-many endings
-episodical campaign - every time a map is done, you can play it with any faction on the map. Every faction has few endings that alter the storyline and enchance the Gameplay Value.

a screenie from the first map:
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Mar 2008, 21:55, edited 6 times in total.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 02 Jan 2008, 18:31

Just wanted to wish you good luck.

Sounds like a lot of work you have to go through before it is finished. Personally I find the story aspect always to be the most tasking.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 02 Jan 2008, 18:39

Humakt wrote:Just wanted to wish you good luck.

Sounds like a lot of work you have to go through before it is finished. Personally I find the story aspect always to be the most tasking.
Thank you :)
The story aspect certanly is the most tasking, but it is also probably the most important when you make a campaign, as important as gameplay.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 02 Jan 2008, 22:05

For those who check this tread:

Last time I made a map, I was scolded by the reviewer for terrible map design. Can't blame him.
Since I don't intent to repeat the same mistake, I would hope that you could give me a comment or two on look of the map (hopefuly, two screenies are enough for now). Thanks.

wenesday screenie:

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 04 Jan 2008, 17:13

More then half of map has been completed.
There are three major factions on the map, from which two shall be playable on released map while third shall be playable in campaign.
One of the playables are the Undead of elves, whos terrain is... interesting. Rather then volcanic or frozen terrain that Undead traditionaly get, I decided to make Undead lands look like forrests in autumn, in lore of their elven past.
While the undead lands are a bit more lively then in tradition, when compared to the southern elven lands, the undead lands really do look like they are half-dead.

Friday Screenie (objects shall PROBABLY change):

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 05 Jan 2008, 20:42

Well, the map is finishied... in design. Now starts the gameplay making (story, ballance, dialogues, quests and interest factor).

The minimap:

magnomagus
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby magnomagus » 06 Jan 2008, 10:47

Hey,

It seems to be a little quiet here these days, but I still play heroes 4 and like your work! Keep it up!

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 08 Jan 2008, 01:37

Seems great. Where can one download this map?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 08 Jan 2008, 11:11

Muszka wrote:Seems great. Where can one download this map?
The scenario is in Alpha stage right now. Once Orange or Blue player position is completed, I'll put it up for testing.

Some more info about the map:
-story is an important element in this map. Dialogues make diplomacy possible, every choice has a consequence and it ain't the same thing if you send Hale or Holodor to persuade an Underworld Necropolises to join your cause. Also, not all your heroes are friends. In example of Orange player, your strongest hero Raona has a rival hero who wants to take her position of governor and shall try to accomplish that during the game. If he menages to acquire enough power to do it, player will choose if he will play with him or Raona. Similiar thing is with Blue player.
-there are no taverns on the map so you'll need to be careful on what you do with your heroes. Additional heroes are acquired by freeing theme from prisons (unless you send a wrong hero to rescue him because he might kill him instead) or by persuading a neutral town to join your case.
-conquering towns ain't so simple any longer because you will need to take care of rebellions. First step is by puting a larger army into it, but as the time goes, you will need greater armies. Fortunately, there are few ways to calm the rebellions.
Last edited by Anonymous on 01 May 2008, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 08 Jan 2008, 19:45

New screenie (this shall be the last one... probably):

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 13 Jan 2008, 23:06

Seems ok for me, but for me the most important is to be very competitive :)

I hope it is :D

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 Jan 2008, 20:21

BAD23ro wrote:Seems ok for me, but for me the most important is to be very competitive :)

I hope it is :D
It seems competitive also. :)

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 14 Jan 2008, 21:57

@ Akul,

I don't play H4, but I sure like the concepts for this map. I sort of wish you were making it in H5 TOE, but such is life. I think it is a very worthwhile but ambitious project.

I don't know about what the scripting is like in H4, but scripting this map in H5 would be a long process. You have stimulated my mind though, and I think I'll try a few things comparable to what you're doing in my next H5 map.

I find the crafting of the map terrain to be the easiest, most artistic part of the process. The story is the most fun aspect, though it can be a little difficult to keep it original and open ended enough for the typical strategic gamer-player to enjoy. With H5, the scripting is the most challenging and difficult part of the map making process, but it is also the most rewarding. Testing the map is the most tedious and thankless part of the process, but it has to be done.

Good luck with your project!
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 14 Jan 2008, 22:35

rdeford wrote: I don't play H4, but I sure like the concepts for this map. I sort of wish you were making it in H5 TOE, but such is life. I think it is a very worthwhile but ambitious project.
TotE is young and its last patch still ain't released. I did have plans for H5 and, once the last patch has been released, get a new PC (soon) and I train myself in editor, I plan on making H5 maps as well. I worked a bit in H5 editor and, even on a slow computer, I didn't seem to be bugged by its unfriendlines and liked working in it.
I find the crafting of the map terrain to be the easiest, most artistic part of the process. The story is the most fun aspect, though it can be a little difficult to keep it original and open ended enough for the typical strategic gamer-player to enjoy. With H5, the scripting is the most challenging and difficult part of the map making process, but it is also the most rewarding. Testing the map is the most tedious and thankless part of the process, but it has to be done.
Feel completely the same way. The only difference is the fact that scripting in H4 is simple, tough it is still challenging. You can't have scripting made in another way ;)
Good luck with your project!
Thanks.
And good luck with your maps :)

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 16 Jan 2008, 17:35

Some more info:
-I changed the design of campaign. I decided to make the whole campiagn episodical and on every map on it you shall be able to choose any of given factions (Example: you can play first map with Undead, but choose Elven is second map insetad). The reason for this decision is the fact that others faction grew in importance and had few interesting quests as well, not to mention that re-play value grows this way.
The other reason for this is its complexity. It would be a waste if I made a big and complex campaign and to hear some good ideas from players what might have been done ad what they didn't like in it. This way, the comments shall affect future maps and hopefully increase its gameplay value.
And, yes, all three players shall be playable when the map becomes public.
-I am right now at making Blue player (Undead) quests and storyline. Once Blue is completed, the map shall be up for testing.The fact that Blue Player has around 5 endings, I hope that testers won't have problems with re-playing the map,
-A sample of story shall be uploaded for few days to show you what you can except from the storyline

And now, lets just hope that this project ain't a bit too ambitious to pull of :P

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 17 Jan 2008, 02:52

It is an ambitous project, but it seems a hell-of-a-good one too, so if you need any help, with testing, pre-testing, or anything else just ask. I may not be the best, but I'll do what I can, because I like what you do.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 17 Jan 2008, 16:54

Muszka wrote:It is an ambitous project, but it seems a hell-of-a-good one too, so if you need any help, with testing, pre-testing, or anything else just ask. I may not be the best, but I'll do what I can, because I like what you do.
Your love for helping in mapmaking is well known :)
I'll certanly send you a PM once the testing can begin.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 17 Jan 2008, 19:30

Akul wrote:Your love for helping in mapmaking is well known :)
:) Thanks.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 20 Jan 2008, 22:43

The project has been renamed from "Nature's Fury" into "Faceless Destinies". I like the new name better and it represents the complete storyline rather then just the Preserve one.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 25 Feb 2008, 14:35

Any news here?

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”