PLEASE!! needs help with new map

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

PLEASE!! needs help with new map

Unread postby dark raider » 15 Dec 2007, 15:50

I have made a new map and I think it is very cool..however I have a problem I have tested the map and it always makes the game crash after about 3 month.... I have tried and look around in the map editor but I just can't find out what the h*** is wrong...if someone would please help me and look at the map for me and see if they can find out what is wrong...

PLEASE HELP ME... I am starting to loose hope and interest in making other maps.... if I cant get this one to work...

ProMeTheus112
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ProMeTheus112 » 15 Dec 2007, 15:58

mmmh I remember I had a crash like that but I don't remember how I fixed it (it was one year ago).

But it's certainly a known bug and as far as I can remember it's definitely repairable. So don't worry and just wait for a more useful answer :p

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 15 Dec 2007, 18:55

I take it that this is a H5 map, right?

I have had three maps that crashed after a few months, always during an AI turn. These bugs were VERY difficult to find, but not too difficult to fix. The best technique proved to be removing the entire fog of war from the map so you can watch what the AI is doing just before the crash. Grumpy Old Wizard provided the code for doing it a while ago. Here it is:

Code: Select all

-- remove fog of war for testing (thx GOW)
	for i=0, GetMaxFloor() do
		OpenCircleFog(0,0,i,9999, GetCurrentPlayer());
	end;
While you can put it just about anywhere in the scrip, I put this code up at the top, above my user-defined functions. Since the code is not inside a function, it will be executed when the map first starts up.

As for the bugs I had, in one of my maps, the AI hero touched an obelisk to cause the crash. To fix it, I put a region around the obelisk to block the AI players. In another map, an AI hero passed through a certain area. I never did find out what was wrong, but I got rid of the bug by putting a mountain on top of the area. In the third bug, the crash happened during the AI turns, but it turned out to be not related to anything the AI did. Instead, it happened the day after the human player did a certain action to trigger a background script function that moved a monument from underground to above ground.

Oh, I almost forgot -- I had another mysterious crash that went away when I started playing testing and editing it with TOE instead of HOF. I suspect that the TOE game code is a lot more robust than the H5 and HOF code.

And, don't give up making maps! If you just can't find the problem, and get tired of it all, send it to me and I will look at it. I can't guarantee I'll find the problem any better than you can, but at least you will have company in your frustration. Email the map to me using the email address in my profile.
Last edited by rdeford on 16 Dec 2007, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 15 Dec 2007, 21:29

hey i had som problems making that fog of war thing to work..maybe i did do it right...but just in case i just mailed you with an attachment of my map...please look at it when you get the time... thanks

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”