H5 - Editing Hero Portraits/Biographies

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Willow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H5 - Editing Hero Portraits/Biographies

Unread postby Willow » 06 Nov 2007, 08:37

Does anyone have any tips for adding hero portraits to the Heroes 5 editor? For example, what's the correct image size and file format (the editor asks for a *.tga file, but I read somewhere about a *.dds file?).

Also, how do you edit the heroes in the map so that the edited heroes appear in the heroes selection when creating a new map in the main menu or when being hired through a tavern. (In H3, you can go to Map Properties > Heroes and edit them directly from there, but it doesn't seem to be the case with the H5 editor.)

Lastly, what is the Reserved Heroes list for?

Thanks!

W

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 06 Nov 2007, 09:24

1. It's a tga file. I suppose its size should be 128x128 like the official pics.

2. As far as I remember, a custom hero is only available on the map you created him on. If you want to create a custom hero available on every map, I'd say you should edit an existing hero in the .pak files and add him through a mod (the edited hero would be lost of course).

3. Copied from the scripting booklet :
When a map is created, some heroes can be reserved after this or that player. Such heroes will not appear in taverns and can’t be hired by usual means. To put the hero reserved after a player onto the map, use the DeployReserveHero command, setting the hero’s name and desired position on the map as its parameters. If the specified tile is inaccessible due to some reason, the hero will be put onto one of the nearby tiles. Reserved heroes who are killed, flee, or disappear from the list of heroes owned by the player for any other reason are put back into the reserve and can be restored to the map by the same command. Their armies are restored to those specified in the editor. To remove a hero from the player’s reserve and make him available in other players’ taverns use the UnreserveHero function.

Willow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Willow » 06 Nov 2007, 09:38

Thanks for the info, Nelgirith.

At this stage I'm only looking to customize heroes on a specific map, but the only way I can find to edit heroes is to add them to the Reserved List. I'm not sure where to look to edit the "normal" heroes in the game that are available to hire through taverns and selectable from the main menu.

(If I physically place a hero on the map I can edit them, but I'm looking for a way to edit all the heroes like in H3 & H4... I'm sure it's there, I'm probably just not looking in the right place.)

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 06 Nov 2007, 10:12

Ok, so basically, you want to edit a hero without having to place him on the map and to use the hero pannel ?

I fear the Reserved Hero list is the only way to do so.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 26 Dec 2007, 03:19

No other way to customize heroes...? It means I have to use scripts to place the reserved heroes on the maps? But scripts don't work in multiplayer mode?

I have another question about heroes - is there an option to set the alignment of heroes for hire? For example, I'd like only Haven and Sylvan heroes to be available in the Haven tavern.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 26 Dec 2007, 12:33

Vlaad II wrote:No other way to customize heroes...? It means I have to use scripts to place the reserved heroes on the maps? But scripts don't work in multiplayer mode?

I have another question about heroes - is there an option to set the alignment of heroes for hire? For example, I'd like only Haven and Sylvan heroes to be available in the Haven tavern.
Scripts work in multiplayer since ToE (and H5 1.6 iirc).

No idea about your 2nd question but I'll check.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 31 Dec 2007, 01:17

I guess not...? :)
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 31 Dec 2007, 17:26

Vlaad II wrote:No other way to customize heroes...? It means I have to use scripts to place the reserved heroes on the maps? But scripts don't work in multiplayer mode?

TOTE has some new functions that I haven't used yet starting on page 50 of the editor manual. You might want to try:

AllowPlayerTavernRace
AllowPlayerTavernRace – allows to prohibit the appearance of heroes of the specified race in the
taverns that belong to a certain player.

Syntax
{{{
AllowPlayerTavernRace( playerID, townTypeID, allow )
}}}
Description
For the player with ID "playerID", the heroes of the race specified by identifier
"townTypeID" will now be generated/not generated in the tavern, depending on the
"allow" parameter ("true" to generate them, or "false" to not generate).

I'm guessing you would do something like this to disable academy heroes for player 1.

AllowPlayerTavernRace( PLAYER_1, TOWN_ACADEMY, false );

You would need a statement for each town type you want to disable for the player.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

kaus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kaus » 16 Apr 2008, 00:59

Hi all! I'm interested in heroes portraits from heroes III or heroes IV, I would like to transform them into playable heroes in a multiplayer map I am currently developing for heroes V...basically I need a picture for Temkhan although any kind of picture would be greatly welcomed...

Anyone knows any website, or forum thread to find them??

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 03 May 2008, 15:54

Nelgirith wrote: Scripts work in multiplayer since ToE (and H5 1.6 iirc).
Interesting news indeed. I found it hard to believe that no one has mentioned this information before. How could it have happened without a bit of fanfare? Anyway, to test it, I created a small mulitplayer map. I added a simple script that assigns a value to a variable and has a function that displays a message when a hero enters a region. It worked.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”