TOTE Map Editor Changes

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

TOTE Map Editor Changes

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 25 Oct 2007, 14:06

Well, I fired up the TOTE editor and notice a welcomed change.

There is now a Start/Stop Animation button. :) It is located on the far right hand side of the tool bar.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 26 Oct 2007, 23:58

Finally!!!
we have asked for an animations on/off button for how long now, a year?

hmmm, maybe ill consider making another map now.
the laggy performance of the editor on an object filled large map is one of the big things that made making maps a pain...of course there are other issues that still bug me, but maybe an animations on/off button will at least make it better.

let us know if this new button helps with the editor performance GOW

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 27 Oct 2007, 00:58

It's still laggish and slow whether you have animations on or off. And I even have pretty new and fast computer (runs Bioshock very well).

I still have light difficulties with handling the camera rotations, doesn't feel intuitive at all. Easy to notice after longer breaks.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 27 Oct 2007, 17:20

Humakt wrote:It's still laggish and slow whether you have animations on or off. And I even have pretty new and fast computer (runs Bioshock very well).

I still have light difficulties with handling the camera rotations, doesn't feel intuitive at all. Easy to notice after longer breaks.
thats too bad. so you dont notice a difference in the editor's performance with animations turned on or off?
i always suspected it was the animations that was slowing things down, but maybe its just the editor itself...
the one thing i know i could never do was zoom out of the map and view the entire landscape to take screenshots. whenever i tried that the editor would slow down to being unuseable.

Mnc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mnc » 27 Oct 2007, 19:41

Humakt wrote:It's still laggish and slow whether you have animations on or off.
I dont know whys this, but once i was copy pasting trying to restore my map which grumpy knows and there happened this, i had my animation button off and i was wondering where are the another objects then i pressed it back on so they returned to my eyesight. ;|
Making maps is Art and true beuty lies in them..

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 29 Oct 2007, 17:10

Although i was pleased to finally have an "animations off" button, it really was about time... and i had to buy two expansions for it .
And true, the performance without animations is a tad better, but much less than i had expected.

I don't think the editor will get another overhaul, so finally i can come to my conclusion:
This is the worst editor in the history of Heroes.
Every other game with an editor or an construction-set-kind-of-thing i ever played copious was much more stable and comfortable. True, this one is somewhat powerful but all higher functions are hidden behind a scripting speech. So it's usable for professional developers and/or people who learnt computer languages but not for folks who only have mediocre skills in this area.... a pity really... the editors of Heroes 2, 3 and 4 linked me to the series, if i had started wit H5 i'd possibly never aquire such a familiarity with the game.

Mnc wrote: I dont know whys this, but once i was copy pasting trying to restore my map which grumpy knows and there happened this, i had my animation button off and i was wondering where are the another objects then i pressed it back on so they returned to my eyesight. ;|
Ocurred to me too.... but only in underground! First ithought, wtf, half of my map is gone, luckily everything switched back when turning animations back on again.
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 29 Oct 2007, 18:33

omegaweix wrote:
Mnc wrote: I dont know whys this, but once i was copy pasting trying to restore my map which grumpy knows and there happened this, i had my animation button off and i was wondering where are the another objects then i pressed it back on so they returned to my eyesight. ;|
Ocurred to me too.... but only in underground! First ithought, wtf, half of my map is gone, luckily everything switched back when turning animations back on again.

When I first opened my map and saw my underground was gone, I nearly flipped. I couldn't believe my map was now ruined by the expansion. Then I just happened to click that button and it all came back. Talk about a sight of relief.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”