[H5] Town shipyards, working?

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

[H5] Town shipyards, working?

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 03 Apr 2007, 13:04

Hi all, long time no see :)

I have been away the community a long time already, blame 10-hours-a-day-(counting trips)-work; blame go-out-all-night-long friends :p. :hoo: . However, still have some moments that I like to use to play with the game - more exactly, with the editor (H5).

Maybe this has an easier solution than I think, but for me it has been an irritating issue in the last days.

I am working in a "sea" map: My intention is to make each of the starting 8 towns able to build ships (in-town shipyard), however, after many tries, it seems impossible.

The towns are placed in the map, near a ramp-beach, and the green "boat appearing slot" is shown next to this ramp. However, when testing the maps, not all the towns are able to build ships, In some of them the message about "no workers on shipyard" appears. I guess that is what appears also in "land" towns that you create with a shipyard.

Furthermore, when I rebuild the map (maybe it was a placement problem) and test it again, I see some of the shipyards that were not working, now work. However some of the shipyards that were previously working, do not work now! (I did not change anything in those towns).

Then my doubts come: Is there a shipyard limit on a map? A feature in the game that makes shipyards work only on certain days? Or is there something about shipyard-town placement I miss?.

Did anyone of you had a similar experience? Were you able to solve it?

Thanks for your help... Meanwhile, I will have to try with land maps instead :tongue:

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 03 Apr 2007, 14:16

Strange... It never happened to me.
Furthermore, when I rebuild the map (maybe it was a placement problem) and test it again, I see some of the shipyards that were not working, now work. However some of the shipyards that were previously working, do not work now! (I did not change anything in those towns).
Are you SURE you didn't change anything in those towns?
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 03 Apr 2007, 14:41

Yep, sure. In the first tests I could not say for sure I had or had not edited the town. I even guessed if modifying the terrain height around the town might have caused the problem.

But not in the last cases. I am 100% sure I have left the town untouched, and it worked before, and now doesn't.

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 07 Sep 2009, 20:58

I take advantage I am around the forum now to resurrect this topic (I have not seen many other topics on this subject, then I think is better to reuse the old topic than to create a new one).

I have always loved town shipyards, and my maps are quite heavy on towns that can build ships (instead of placing out-of-town shipyards). But in Heroes V, it seems I can not get this to work correctly, and not all the shipyards work as expected. I feel the error can be due to several factors, I would like to ask your help and experience to identify what is happening.

- In some cases, I edit the coastline (not the one around the town, but other in the same sea) after placing the shipyard. ¿May the map "recalculate" shipyard placement after the sea is modified?

-In some towns, I have left a very small zone of water near it, I have even towns that have all land around, and then a path of water nearby (and they work!, sometimes). ¿How many "water tiles" do you use to leave around the town when wanting to use it as shipyard?

- Finally, as I said, I want to have up to 8 towns with shipyard in a map. ¿Maybe there is a shipyard limit? ¿What is the maximum of shipyard-towns you have placed/seen in a map?

Thanks all for your answers. This has been one of the major turndowns I had when making maps for Heroes V, and it would be nice to have it solved (or at least know there is no solution)

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Sep 2009, 09:40

I'm pretty sure the shipyard placement would be recalculated every time you save the map. But experimentation could easily prove is this is so.

Well, actually I don't think the map is repacked until you save the map and close it in the editor.

The game originally had an 8 time limit (or at least said it did) but there can be more thaan 8 towns on a map. I haven't seen that many towns with shipyards.

But you could make a test map of a big island surrounded by water and place say 10 towns on the coast and see if there is such a shipyard limit.

I haven't seen anywhre where a certain number of water grids have to be around the town. I think it just has to have access to water so I assume one tile would do.

If you sometimes can build a shipyard and sometimes can't I'd suggest backing up your map and then putting more water times adjacent to the town. I'll try playing around in the editor and see if I see anything wierd about town shipyards.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 08 Sep 2009, 10:20

If it helps, you can manually define a tile where a built ship will appear (in the town properties tree).

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”