new story RPG map for playtesting

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

new story RPG map for playtesting

Unread postby myythryyn » 25 Feb 2007, 16:17

hello, i just finished my next RPG story map.
it should be availble for testing here at celestial heavens soon, or you can download it from here right now if you want -
http://elrath.com/mapvaultresults.php?m ... g&D6=1&p=1

first thing ill mention though is that the map should only be played if you have HOF and the new necromancy rules. otherwise, youll amass thousands and thousands of archers and the map will be boring.
im actually happy that they changed necromany because i was close to leaving this map unfinished before the patch because of the insane amounts of archers that could be raised.

The map is the story of Lord Garrick Stahlrad, who is unwillingly raised from the dead as a vampire by the necromancer Alaxar. The playable faction is the undead.
It is a large sized map. The AI turns do not take long, and it should be playable on all systems.
The story is detailed, with plot twists and many scripted events. Pitsu's larger message box mod makes the text easier to read.
if the campaign editor was available, this map has enough story that it could have been divided into three campaign maps. as a result the lvl cap is lvl 40.

one of the main focus of the map is challenging battles against high lvl enemy AI heroes of all the factions. if you do test the map and find some of the AI heroes too strong, or too weak, send me your feedback with a message on these forums.
with the new necromancy rules, its almost impossible to know what kind of army the player will have towards the end of the map, so things like the final battle might be too hard right now.
the map was tested on normal difficulty.
I also strongly recommend that you use the story hero, Garrick, to explore and fight battles, or certain scripted events will be out of context, or not work as intended.

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 23 Jun 2009, 17:22

I started the map on Tote and I liked the scenario and the map until after I defeated Alaxa and then I realized that the map is so heavily depended on instant travel that it's not funny. Even to get the tear of asha you need instant travel and then you can only come close to the location but never to the exact place, a wasted 2 weeks game time for an undiggable object.
I'm very disappointed, and really sorry that I started this map, all in all a great start and a terrible finish, absolutely not recomended.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 27 Jun 2009, 08:11

It is long since i played it, but i do not remember any need for instant travel. I think it is more likely that Tote/new version messes with the game scripts somehow making them not work properly. You know updated Homm5 is not always compatible with maps done for earlier versions.

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 27 Jun 2009, 14:17

Thanks for your reply Pitsu, it might be as you say that the problem comes from me playing it in tote and scripts not beeing compatible, anyway this is what I meant when I said "not reccomended",don't play it in tote use hof instead as the story is great and the map beautifully done. Maybe a general warning about playing maps in later game versions is in order on the downloads page in order to avoid hours (days sometimes) of frustration.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”