The basics of H5 scripting.

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The basics of H5 scripting.

Unread postby Pitsu » 05 Jan 2007, 14:57

I have a small Word file in style of "H5 scripting for dummies". Anyone willing to have a look and point out the downright wrong and simply missleading things there?

The doc (edit: pdf) can be found at:
http://celestialheavens.com/homm5/manua ... ipting.zip

EDIT: changed thread title
Last edited by Pitsu on 17 Jan 2007, 18:20, edited 4 times in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Jan 2007, 15:16

Hi, Pitsu. Just a side-question, if I may?

*hum...* :D
Another side-question: ;)

Are you going to let this doc available after finishing it, or it's already finished and you just want someone to look for any errors? I wanted to start on mapmaking anyday, then I'll have some difficulties since programming and scripting are subjects I don't like much, then I have a barrier when learning them.

This doc should just help a bit. :)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 05 Jan 2007, 23:17

You have created a nice informative document Pitsu. :) I didn't see anything that is wrong but you have some things like repeat-until and transforming towns that I haven't used yet.

Something you may wish to add is how to determine the script name for heroes and how to define it for towns for instance, since that has been a cause of confusion for many.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 06 Jan 2007, 13:30

8| That's a great piece of work! Surely will help many mapmakers that haven't learned H5 scripting yet. :tsup:
My Heroes V map: Tales of Silentia

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 06 Jan 2007, 14:35

Thanks for feedback so far. :)

@ GOW. Right, naming of heroes and advanture map objects and also how to call up message files would be a good addition

@Tar. When it is more or less ready, i am planning to destroy all copies of it, but a single paper printed version. These papers will be sealed into a metal cylinder and digged into my backyard... Were did you get the idea that i may leave it available for everyones use?

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 06 Jan 2007, 14:45

The guide looks fairly comprehensive and useful. Just needs a little reformatting here and there.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 07 Jan 2007, 05:40

great work Pitsu, i learned some new things reading it.
i might just have to go back and look at some of my script now and see if i can improve it :)
Pitsu wrote:
@Tar. When it is more or less ready, i am planning to destroy all copies of it, but a single paper printed version. These papers will be sealed into a metal cylinder and digged into my backyard... Were did you get the idea that i may leave it available for everyones use?
aha...and i completely understand why you are sealing it in a metal cylander and burying it.
you hope that in the far future an archeologist will find it, and be completely amazed at his discovery. hell put it up for display in a museum with this description -
"...and here we have a guide to making scripts for a very primitive map editor. yes, even for its era this map editor was a relic. players had to manually type in all the commands themselves, and without any proper documentation from the game designers. It would take months just to make one scripted map..."

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 07 Jan 2007, 10:10

myythryyn wrote:in the far future an archeologist will find it, and be completely amazed at his discovery. hell put it up for display in a museum with this description -
"...and here we have a guide to making scripts for a very primitive map editor. yes, even for its era this map editor was a relic. players had to manually type in all the commands themselves, and without any proper documentation from the game designers. It would take months just to make one scripted map..."
:applause: :applause: It's the best sequence about the editor I've ever heard. I just can't stop laughing :)
My Heroes V map: Tales of Silentia

meows
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby meows » 07 Jan 2007, 12:13

alavris wrote:
myythryyn wrote:in the far future an archeologist will find it, and be completely amazed at his discovery. hell put it up for display in a museum with this description -
:applause: :applause: It's the best sequence about the editor I've ever heard. I just can't stop laughing :)
My oh My, if there ever was a truth told this was it. You guys hit it right on the head.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Jan 2007, 12:40

myythryyn wrote:you hope that in the far future an archeologist will find it, and be completely amazed at his discovery. hell put it up for display in a museum with this description.
I hope I'll be that archeologist. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 15 Jan 2007, 19:02

File updated and as a pdf

Some parts needed a change to be correct ;| Hopefully got the mistakes ironed out

http://www.celestialheavens.com/admin/r ... ipting.pdf
Last edited by Pitsu on 17 Jan 2007, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

DeejMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DeejMaster » 16 Jan 2007, 05:14

Cool!. I'm going to email this to myself at work and print it off. I hope it helps because I am completely igorant about scripting and that is what is keeping me from completing my map.

Thanks

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Jan 2007, 19:38

Nice work, Pitsu. As always, the hardest part is 'thinking like a programmer'. As best I can tell, the syntax resembles Perl or any other of a dozen functional languages. A new user might want to go through one of the many tutorials available on the internet.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 02 May 2007, 22:25

Good job Pitsu.

I am new to HOMM5 map making and your scripting guide was a BIG help. It make a very difficult, nearly impossible task, fairly easy. I did the map making tutorial, read your guide, looked through the Q & A on the forum, and finished my first small map with a good amount of scripting in 2 weeks.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”