The Map Editor

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

The Map Editor

Unread postby dark raider » 10 Nov 2006, 13:22

I have a little question, There is the map editor wich is cool you can do almost anything with....only onething that i am missing...why the flying f*** can't it build the neutral creature dwellings....i am currently making a map and I would really like to put the Death knight out to play. Does anyone know anything about it...maybe they are hidden some where I haven't been looking yet...

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Re: The Map Editor

Unread postby Mozared » 10 Nov 2006, 14:25

dark raider wrote:why the flying f*** can't it build the neutral creature dwellings....
Because those don't exist? ^^

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

why not

Unread postby dark raider » 10 Nov 2006, 15:57

then why have they not created these neutral creature dwellings....why bother making neutral creatures if you don't have any chance of getting them in your army to fight with you....that sucks...... at least you could do that in h4....

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 10 Nov 2006, 16:07

You could probably creat one through scripts, but would need a bit of coding.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Re: why not

Unread postby Mozared » 10 Nov 2006, 19:07

dark raider wrote:then why have they not created these neutral creature dwellings....why bother making neutral creatures if you don't have any chance of getting them in your army to fight with you....
I don't know, nival's decision.
But like Vitirr said, you can make one trough scripting. But IMO that'd be a long/boring path with a quite useless target. Best you can do is place some neutral stacks and put them on "will always join hero", if you really want to play around with them.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: why not

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 10 Nov 2006, 23:18

Mozared wrote:
dark raider wrote:then why have they not created these neutral creature dwellings....why bother making neutral creatures if you don't have any chance of getting them in your army to fight with you....
I don't know, nival's decision.
But like Vitirr said, you can make one trough scripting. But IMO that'd be a long/boring path with a quite useless target. Best you can do is place some neutral stacks and put them on "will always join hero", if you really want to play around with them.
Making a neutral dwelling with the editor would not be too difficult. If you look at my map, "Seize The Throne" the Necromancer can trade wraiths for death knights and the Sylvan can trade emerald dragons for phoenixes.

The scripting is heavily commented, so you can look at it to see how I did it.

A straight up dwelling would be a little different, trading gold/resources for creatures instead of trading creatures for creatures, but it is the same principle. You would also need a variable to keep track of the creatures available for hire and subtract from that every time a creature is hired and add to it at the start of every week or whenever you want more creatures to be available.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

makrise
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby makrise » 11 Nov 2006, 08:07

It's quite easy to make a dwelling for the Deathknights even without scripting:

1. Open the Map, place a Necropolis Military Post where you want to hire the DeathKnights later.
2. Select it and open the ObjectsPropertiesTree(CTRL+Space)
3. Select the value next to the Property "Shared" and click the "..."-Button
4. Press "Cancel"
5. Click the "New"-Button next to the "..." and enter some name(just to make the folder we need, it won't be the final Object's name). Press OK.
6. You should see the Window called "Browse <AdvMapDwellingShared> Object Link" again.
On the left side, select MapObjects\Necropolis\Necropolis_Military_Post.(AdvMapDwellingShared).
Rightclick on it and select Copy.
Then select the field with the name you typed in before, rightclick on it and select paste.
7. Select the pasted Necropolis_Military_Post.(AdvMapDwellingShared). In the properties, open the tree "creatures" if it's not already opened. Go to the field [3] and change the value from the list from "CREATURE_BONE_DRAGON" to "CREATURE_DEATH_KNIGHT"
8. Press OK, Save the map and reload it.
9. Now select the Military Post you changed and press Space. You will now be able to select the Death Knight instead of the Bone Dragon.
10. If you want more Dwellings like this, just place another Military Post, click PropertiesTree/Shared/"..." and select the changed MilitaryPost in the Map's folder.

Drachenwald.Net
"Well, things just got simpler. And a lot more complicated."
My Current Project: Rappelz Character Database, a free character database for players of the mmog "Rappelz"

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 11 Nov 2006, 13:30

Ofcourse! We're being silly, loads better to do it the easy way :) . Have you tested this by the way? everything seems to be in order to me, but I'm not quite sure if death knights have a weekly growth; I fear their numbers may permanently be 0 in the dwelling. Then again, should that occur, you can probaly change it in the death knight's options.

Mozared

makrise
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby makrise » 11 Nov 2006, 13:40

I haven't tested it, but in the data files it says that Death Knights have weekly Growth rate of 2. (I looked in the Files for v1.0)
Drachenwald.Net
"Well, things just got simpler. And a lot more complicated."
My Current Project: Rappelz Character Database, a free character database for players of the mmog "Rappelz"

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”