new map from Pitsu

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 29 Oct 2006, 14:44

*spoiler*

Walk the hero who carries the axe close to the trees blocking your way to north. After picking the axe a new objective appeared "cut down the trees in the north" or somesuch, didn't it?

Cristian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cristian » 18 Nov 2006, 01:37

Mr. Pitsu, I would like to congratulate you. Your map is brilliant... 'till one point. I tried to play the 0.9 version but got stuck because of the many crashes, and after your intervension at the maps4heroes.com I found out that there is an update to it at this site. So I downloaded it and tried to finish the 1.1 version.

This time, the map didn't crash at all, but as I tried to finish it, I got myself into a dilemma... I got to the point where there is no one else but me and the blue player on the map... you know, the south neighbour... It's month 4, week 3, day 7 and after I own myself four similar castles almost completely built and one with a tear of asha inside I have to make a decision, whether to pick up about 750 death knights or 570 phoenixes... and previous to this, the game tells me that it may be an opportunity in which both the death knight and the phoenixes join me...

I consider myself an experienced Heroes 2, 3, 4 and maybe 5 player so I decided to play this map on the expert level... I chose academy and Ihora as my hero... I managed to learn arcane omniscience at the 29th level so my hero knows every spell possible... including blind, frenzy, puppet master and other very useful spells for a battle... now Ihora is on level 32 with 17, 17, 30, 35 at her skills with artifacts... my opponent is Nicolai, level 26, 10, 11, 15, 10 with the following army... 500 black dragons, 1800 grim raiders, 3000 blood furies and 3000 assasins... there is also another opponent hero with the same amount of army except the blood furies I think...

My dilemma is how am I going to beat them? By waiting as a fool for another 3-4 months and gather also a tromendous army or maybe there is anothet ,,secret" that can make me have both the phoenixes and the death knights? I will try to beat Nicolai with spells, and with only phoenixes or deathknigts, but my hero's turn in the battle comes AFTER Nicolai and I can't understand why since Ihora has as a specialization windspeaker, so her turn comes quicker in battle with her level... So my chances are rather poor...

In my opinion maybe the best heroes map ever was ruined at this final stage... Maybe if there were more phoenixes... or death knights...

Please help me Mr. Pitsu. I would like to finish this map, as I've also told you at maps4heroes.com, but this final stage seems rather stupid... or maybe there is another puzzle that I didn't find...

Once again, beautiful concept, scenario idea and implementation untill this final stage... or not? Please help me finish this map in another way... not in this boring manner... Or maybe I should't consider myself such an experienced player and try it on the standard or easy level... PLEASE HELP!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 18 Nov 2006, 09:25

The final battles are hard. That is what they should be right?

Ok, there is not secret way to get both phoenixes and knights.

The fights are probably easier when you take phoenixes as deadly strike is luck dependent and knights have weaker stats. Additionally phoenix rebirth means that you in fact have double amount of the birds than the actual number you see. You can let them die once without any worry to lose them.

Additionally, you should have frenzy scroll. If you on some reason managed to lose it, you can check you magic guilds for mind affecting spells and rise a dark magican. For casting from scroll you of course can use any hero. There is an arena/garnison in desert which renews armies and that can be used to gain quick level-ups for new heroes if needed. With phoenixes these fights are easy there. Hence, if you cannot take the final enemies straight, use some heroes to soften them up. Engage fight with 7 small stacks, cast frenzy or some such spell that causes him large damage and run or die. If you use frenzy scroll, you should run of course. IIRC No hero has shackles of war equipped by default.

Additionally, you may try to sit in a castle and lure him to attack you. The wall and larger field may keep the grim riders and furies unable to attack you until you have dealt with blackies. Despite of huge number of low levels I think the black dragons are still the most dangerous enemies. A good stack of phoenickes and some retalization absorbers can do quick work with low stat creatures.

Remember that quickcombat does not consider phoenix rebirth and therfore flees very early. If you have only few phoenixes left from initial stak, I would recommend to use it only for absorbing a damage from a strong opponent stack. They will only take as much damage as needed to kill them, but retalitate after rebirth with the full original stack. Good timing of rebirth can decide the battle some times.

I hope these advices help you to design a successfull war plan.

Cristian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cristian » 19 Nov 2006, 18:29

Nevermind my previous post. The finish was easy since I realized that I could cast phantom forces on my 577 phoenixes. I don't understand why, as the phoenix is a very high level creature and in another situations, although I had expert summoning magic on other heroes, I wasn't able to do this. Probably I'm wrong. I finished this map in 125 days but if I go back to my previous saves I'm sure I can finish it in less then 110. My score was only 1733 although I played it on hard level.

But if enyone decides to play this map, take into account my advice... academy and Ihora with the goal arcane omniscience is very suitable for this map... many knowledge trees makes this goal not so hard to achieve. If you like other castles, then do take summonong magic and maybe dark magic for the frenzy spell on your hero. Phoenixes are the only choice.

I would like to pay my respects for the great work of Mr. Pitsu in buiding this excelent single-player map. I'm a fan of the scenario plot behind any map, and the one in this game is the best I found so far in a heroes map. The finising lines, with an old wizard that made our hero to take the desert journey is like the cherry on top of the cake.

CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH, PITSU!!!!!!!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 20 Nov 2006, 08:57

Great to hear that you managed it and the final impression of the map wasn't disappointing.
Thank you for feedback.

Cristian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cristian » 08 Aug 2011, 09:43

5 years later, after playing the King's bounty series I can say I'm a different player. And waiting for Heroes 6, I decided I missed playing Heroes 5. And what else to spend several hours than your map? :)

This time Heroic, ToE 3.1, 105 days, 2367 score, Ihora, Arcane Omniscience. :)

Sorry for digging up this old thread, I just wanted to say once again I love your map. ;)

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”