Heroes V Legends of the Ancients

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Heroes V Legends of the Ancients

Unread postby Marzhin » 19 Oct 2006, 14:50

Hello all,

As I already hinted in various topics, I'm currently working on a four-parts campaign for heroes V taking place in the old universe (Axeoth). I have seen so many beautiful maps made by you, the other mapmakers here on CH, and I'm considering the opportunity of using your talents in my project (if you're interested, that is). In other words...

I Need You !

If you want to apply for one or more maps, I'll send you :

- All the texts (objectives, message boxes, quest huts, rumours, etc) for the map.
- The basic level-design elements (what the goals and the concept of the map are)
- In what kind of region the scenario is taking place, with maybe a sketch of how I imagine the map to look like (up to you to follow it or propose something better ;))

So, my final question : would you be interested in participating to this project ?
Last edited by Marzhin on 09 May 2007, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 24 Oct 2006, 09:10

I'll also need maptesters (at least 2 of them), if you're interested, send me a PM. There will be 6 maps in total for the first chapter.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 02 Nov 2006, 16:55

Here are some "work in progress" screenshots. Lots of stuff are not done yet (some of the heroes portraits for instance.)

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Nov 2006, 17:09

Wow!Lysander looks marvelous.What model did you use?Though the portrait doesnt fit it.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 02 Nov 2006, 17:12

DaemianLucifer wrote:Wow!Lysander looks marvelous.What model did you use?Though the portrait doesnt fit it.
It is based on the model of Godric. The portrait isn't finished yet. By the way, the "runes" on the blade are erathian letters (from MM7 manual) and they mean... no, I won't tell, you can try to decipher it if you wish ;)

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 11 Nov 2006, 19:17

Well, let’s see…

That one closest to the hilt is a G,
The one next to it is an R
Y

O
The one closest to the point is an I or an N…

I can’t make out the last two, but based on the rest I’d guess they’re P and H respectively, and it says ‘GRYPHON’.

Oh and Marzhin, you probably already know this but your letters are backwards. But excellent work in any case. :)

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 11 Nov 2006, 20:30

Looking great Marzhin :hoo:

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 12 Nov 2006, 18:59

Looks terrific :) .

What 'help' are you exactly after? I might not be a good tester (I'm not a very good player), but I'd love to contribute with whatever I can offer.

Mozared

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 13 Nov 2006, 09:41

Kareeah Indaga wrote:Oh and Marzhin, you probably already know this but your letters are backwards. But excellent work in any case. :)
Thanks ;) I thought I had corrected this, but I realized the letters are good on one side of the sword and reversed on the other side. Meh.
Mozared wrote:What 'help' are you exactly after? I might not be a good tester (I'm not a very good player), but I'd love to contribute with whatever I can offer.
Right now I'm mainly looking for testers.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 13 Nov 2006, 15:06

I guess I can't help you then, shamefully, best I could do is scroll over the map and point out things =P.

Mozared

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 13 Nov 2006, 17:28

I can’t either unfortunately, at least not now; my copy of HV is about two hours away and doesn’t function well on this computer. I might be able to do a little bit over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks though, if that would help.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 22 Nov 2006, 11:38

I need your opinion on something. I thought of renaming the Red Haven units from Hammers of Fate to make them "Chedian". (Chedian is the celtic/norse land in which MM9 was taking place.)

So for the moment I changed their names (and descriptions, even if what you can read below isn't the actual descriptions) to :

Enforcer > Clansman

The idea is, in the northern lands of Axeoth where barbarian raids are frequent, the men of any community or village are trained to use a weapon to defend their clan in case of need.

Crossbowman > Sharpshooter (I'm not really convinced by this one)

The elite archers of Mendossus, and the very reason why no barbarians ever took the capital city of Farndale :D

Vindicator > Mercenary

Half-orcs soldiers of fortune, fierce and brutal, and never jobless in these regions.

Battle Griffin > Battle Griffin

No specific reason to change this one. I thought they could be griffins trained to fight in arenas.

Zealot > Monk

Priest-warriors of Krohn, the king of the Gods.

Champion > Jouster

Once a year, there is a great festival called the Thing, during which tournaments are taking place. Jousters from all over the land come to the festival to fight for fame and glory.

Fallen Angel > Walkyrie

The messengers of Krohn.

If you have any ideas or suggestions on this matter, they are gladly welcomed ;)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 22 Nov 2006, 18:31

I've just one thing to say. Okay, angels can be asexual. But Walkyries are definitely female. So we have another genie/rakshasa type of thing going on here.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 23 Nov 2006, 09:33

theLuckyDragon wrote:I've just one thing to say. Okay, angels can be asexual. But Walkyries are definitely female. So we have another genie/rakshasa type of thing going on here.
Not exactly. Renegades units may be alternatives for the Haven upgrades, you can't upgrade your regular troops into Renegades. If you see what I mean. So they are really independant troops.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 23 Nov 2006, 09:36

Whoops, sorry :ashamed:
I thought the ">" meant "upgrades to", but it just indicated the name change you proposed.
:ashamed:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 21 Dec 2006, 18:05

Mmm, now I'm sory to say that my computer isn't up for the challenge of HoMM V... :S

So I can't be of any help, though I'd like to help out if I could...
Grah!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Dec 2006, 18:27

Battle Griffin > Battle Griffin

No specific reason to change this one. I thought they could be griffins trained to fight in arenas.
What about Arena Griffin? ;)

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 22 Dec 2006, 02:52

Since this is a sequel to Heroes IV, wouldn't you want to put a lot of emphasis on story?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 22 Dec 2006, 09:40

vicheron wrote:Since this is a sequel to Heroes IV, wouldn't you want to put a lot of emphasis on story?
Yes, but I don't want to spoil it either :P
Here is the short summary I gave soem time ago in another thread (I upadated it a bit) :
Chapter 1 will follow the civil war raging (again) in Nekros, where Malustar, self-proclaimed demon king, tries to seize power from Gauldoth and his necromancers. In the meantime, Great Arcan and Palaedra are having some border incidents, which may very well turn into war...

Chapter 2 will take you to Aranorn, where you'll witness the escape and the following "adventures" of the traitor, Lord Harke, trying to redeem himself for his past crimes...

Chapter 3 will take place in Hanndl's Grasp (Chedian, Framon...) where the forgotten prince of a forgotten world will meet his fate, fight thousand terrors and become a true hero.

Chapter 4 will show the power struggle between the immortal king of Channon, Mysterio the Magnificient, and the mysterious magister Alamar...

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 22 Dec 2006, 16:50

Interesting.

However, I never imagined Gauldoth to wear armour. Sometimes during reading of his story he seemed like having physical problems (undead body and all).

BTW, so Mysterio conquered Channon? Interesting.

Looking forward to this project :)
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”