Editor tips for H5

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Caravans

Unread postby rdeford » 20 Jan 2010, 16:50

love2winalot wrote:Hiya. How do you all prevent, "custom made maps" the pc from getting so many caravans that they block his own entry/exit from his castle? A human has to downgrade creatures, allow caravan to put them in the full castle, and then re upgrade them. But when a pc castle is full an upgraded, their caravans are stuck at the castle entry. What to do?
Unfortunately there is no "good" answer to your question because the H5 developers did not put enough intelligence into the AI to handle caravans properly. While you might be able to add that intelligence by scripting, it would be a very complex script and I would not suggest that you even try.

Your best bet is to ensure that there is a LOT of empty space in front of the AI castles so that there is room for the piled up caravans to spread out. I've had to do this design in all of my maps. It is not a perfect solution, but it usually mitigates the problem to the point where the AI can still function.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

love2winalot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

# of heroes

Unread postby love2winalot » 21 Jan 2010, 05:54

Hiya. Does anyone Know how many, "Total" Heroes the AI can have between them? In Heroes 4, i think it was 20, or something like that, based on the difficulity level of the map. If the AI had more than that, they could not hire any more.

I was down to about 14 AI Heroes, 8 factions, on a huge map, at hard difficulity, and the AI Heroe would run away in battle, "surrender", but would NOT re hire that Heroe from his tavern. Why?

modofit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby modofit » 07 Mar 2011, 06:13

Ummm i was wondering how do you open map editor in heroes 5?

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 07 Mar 2011, 15:03

modofit wrote:Ummm i was wondering how do you open map editor in heroes 5?
Go to your installation folder.

Example path: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East

Double-click H5_MapEditor.exe

Also, read: HOMM5_Editor_Practical_Guide.pdf

Example path: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East\Editor Documentation
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 12 Dec 2014, 08:27

I have a simple question :
if I create a map with a hill fort, the default for it is "on this map it is forbidden to re-upgrade units", my question is how do I change it to allow re-upgrading?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 27 Dec 2014, 06:26

Where are you seeing that statement and what version of the game?

Also, what do you mean by RE-upgrade?

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 03 Jan 2015, 07:36

markkur wrote:Where are you seeing that statement and what version of the game?

When you have an already upgraded unit and try to re-upgrade to the other version (for example : goblin trapper to witch doctor or the other way around)
that is the message you get at the Hill-Fort.
Version is TOE 3.1.
Another question: if I put multiple "Arcane Library" (the one that sell spells)
on the map all of them have exactly the same spells and the spells never change even if you play for a very long time, so how do I make them to renew the spells more frequently? and how to make it so they don't all sell
exactly the same spells?

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Editor tips for H5

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 22 Feb 2015, 10:39

Pitsu wrote:How to change a singleplayer map to multiplayer or vice versa

All you need to do is to rename a directory inside the *.h5m file. h5m files are renamed zip archives with a typical structure Maps/maptype/mapname/map_files

maptype is either SingleMissions or Multiplayer.

1. Unpack your *.h5m file. if not possible otherwise, rename it first to a zip file
2. Change the directory to the map type you want
3. Pack it back to a zip file. Be sure to keep the original directories structure and not pack only the subdirectories
4. Rename the obtained zip to h5m

Has anyone tried this, does it work?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 13 Mar 2015, 10:39

c1a1 wrote:
markkur wrote:Where are you seeing that statement and what version of the game?

When you have an already upgraded unit and try to re-upgrade to the other version (for example : goblin trapper to witch doctor or the other way around)
that is the message you get at the Hill-Fort.
Version is TOE 3.1.
Another question: if I put multiple "Arcane Library" (the one that sell spells)
on the map all of them have exactly the same spells and the spells never change even if you play for a very long time, so how do I make them to renew the spells more frequently? and how to make it so they don't all sell
exactly the same spells?
Sorry for the slow response. RU able to change the unit in town?

For the A-Library you might try setting the "AllowMultipleActivations line to True. I seldom use those so I never tested but this does reset D-Utopias and "some" of the treasure buildings.

Also fyi the next line is; AllowMultipleCompletions; setting this to True allows a Team to both get the Victory message. Everything is SP by default.

@Milos Gajic

As far as "Renaming" Use 7zip and open the map "Open inside" until you get either SingleMissions or Multiplayer and "rename" the other way for the desired change. That's it. Btw, SP for scripting; MP is very problematic and also the Editor errors a lot when testing scripts...so I understand anyway.

c1a1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby c1a1 » 30 Sep 2019, 14:39

Need a little help with the editor, ver.3.1, everything is working except the search function , need help to make it work.

Loise Griffin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Loise Griffin » 22 Mar 2022, 11:04

Recovering removed objects from the editor is very easy. Check this out https://www.celestialheavens.com/f... and you'll know how to do it.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”