Here are official H5 maps converted to .h5m

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
alavris
Scout
Scout

Here are official H5 maps converted to .h5m

Unread postby alavris » 25 Sep 2006, 16:32

While searching through many HoMM fan-sites and forums, I realized that there wasn't any official H5 maps in .h5m format. I also found many opinions that it's impossible to make them openable in the editor. So I decided to... make it ;) Here is result of my over 2 hours long work. All 20 multiplayer maps and 10 single missions which I converted to .h5m format can be downloaded from here:

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1017848/Hero ... s.zip.html

These maps are from Polish Collector Edition, so all ingame texts are in Polish of course :)

Enjoy!

hiv
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Here are official H5 maps converted to .h5m

Unread postby hiv » 27 Sep 2006, 06:50

alavris wrote:While searching through many HoMM fan-sites and forums, I realized that there wasn't any official H5 maps in .h5m format. I also found many opinions that it's impossible to make them openable in the editor. So I decided to... make it ;) Here is result of my over 2 hours long work. All 20 multiplayer maps and 10 single missions which I converted to .h5m format can be downloaded from here:

These maps are from Polish Collector Edition, so all ingame texts are in Polish of course :)

Enjoy!
You can give me the list of these Polish fan sites?

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 27 Sep 2006, 08:09

hiv wrote:You can give me the list of these Polish fan sites?
I was searching mainly through international sites, but there are also polish places in the net. Here are listed, which I know:

http://jaskiniabehemota.net/
http://acidcave.com/
http://homm5.gram.pl/
http://nic-nac-project.de/~moonman/phpBB2/index.php
http://www.legendyheroes.webd.pl/

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby margie414 » 01 Oct 2006, 21:00

alavris wrote:While searching through many HoMM fan-sites and forums, I realized that there wasn't any official H5 maps in .h5m format. I also found many opinions that it's impossible to make them openable in the editor. So I decided to... make it ;) Here is result of my over 2 hours long work. All 20 multiplayer maps and 10 single missions which I converted to .h5m format can be downloaded from here:

Enjoy!
When I clicked on the link above it sent me to this url:

http://d.turboupload.com/de/1017848/sn12tazpn8.html

WHY?

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 02 Oct 2006, 07:48

On this page, there's green text frame. In this frame there's text:
You have requested the file with ID 1017848 (on next page you`ll see more info about requested file)
Below this text are some Google ads. Below them is time counter, which shows you number of seconds left to generate dowload link. After 30 seconds, instead of this counter will show up this text:
Download file

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby margie414 » 02 Oct 2006, 14:20

alavris wrote:On this page, there's green text frame. In this frame there's text:
You have requested the file with ID 1017848 (on next page you`ll see more info about requested file)
Below this text are some Google ads. Below them is time counter, which shows you number of seconds left to generate dowload link. After 30 seconds, instead of this counter will show up this text:
Download file
Thanks! It worked fine. I saw all of that before but was hesitant to click on download file when I wasn't sure what I was downloading. THe site isn't very clear for that. I appreicate all your help.

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby margie414 » 08 Oct 2006, 12:38

margie414 wrote:
alavris wrote:On this page, there's green text frame. In this frame there's text:
Download file
Thanks! It worked fine. I saw all of that before but was hesitant to click on download file when I wasn't sure what I was downloading. THe site isn't very clear for that. I appreicate all your help.
Ok, I d/l and upzipped the files to the maps folder in the main dir but I found 2 of them do not show up on the custom games list. They are; L1.(Siedem Jezior.h5m) and XL2: Wyspa Po¿¹dania. So I moved all the polish map files temporarily so only these 2 would be the only polish language files on the list, but still didn't see them. I checked : "include multi maps" so all files would list. No luck. I was able to open the file L1.(Siedem Jezior.h5m)in the map editor to check map and it said there were more than 8 towns (could this cause a problem not being able to see it in the custom game list?) Will keep you updated and Thanks again for all your help. :-D

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 08 Oct 2006, 13:12

That's strange... These two maps are not visible even when there are no h5m files in "Maps" folder !!! That could mean they are some kind of hidden maps, not playable... 8| I really don't know what this is all about...
Maybe it's special error in Polish Collector Edition ;)

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby margie414 » 08 Oct 2006, 15:40

alavris wrote:That's strange... These two maps are not visible even when there are no h5m files in "Maps" folder !!! That could mean they are some kind of hidden maps, not playable... 8| I really don't know what this is all about...
Maybe it's special error in Polish Collector Edition ;)
Can you answer 2nd part of my question?
(check map and it said there were more than 8 towns (could this cause a problem not being able to see it in the custom game list?)

BTW, Just finished writing a new Topic Map not seen on ingame list
viewtopic.php?t=4166&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 08 Oct 2006, 17:51

margie414 wrote:Can you answer 2nd part of my question?
(check map and it said there were more than 8 towns (could this cause a problem not being able to see it in the custom game list?)
Yes, it could cause the problem. It's been said by Nival that there can be only 8 towns on the map, but I've heard somewhere (I don't remember where) that the map doesn't always crash when there are more than 8 towns on it. That's all I know...

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Oct 2006, 20:31

alavris wrote:
margie414 wrote:Can you answer 2nd part of my question?
Yes, it could cause the problem. It's been said by Nival that there can be only 8 towns on the map, but I've heard somewhere (I don't remember where) that the map doesn't always crash when there are more than 8 towns on it. That's all I know...
I'm currently playtesting my map and it has more than 8 towns. I've not done a complete playthrough yet but I played 6-8 weeks today for one of the factions and had no crashes.

You get a warning in the editor about more than 8 towns but I have seen no problem whatsoever with having more.

Edit:
Can you answer 2nd part of my question?
If you can't see your map double check how you have your player properties and towns set up. I am willing to bet that is where the problem lies.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 13 Oct 2006, 14:12

Margie414 asked me about convertion from .pak to .h5m, so here I present in 10 steps how to do this:

1) In your Heroes V data folder, extract all .pak files to the same directory.
2) In this example we will convert multiplayer map named "M10", so firstly open extracted "\Maps\Multiplayer\M10\" folder.
3) Change the name of M10.xdb file to map.xdb.
4) In third line of map-tag.xdb file, change "M10.xdb" to "map.xdb" so the line looks like this:

Code: Select all

<AdvMapDesc href="/map.xdb#xpointer(/AdvMapDesc)"/>
5) Now in some other place create this folder structure: "\Maps\Multiplayer\M10\".
6) Copy all the map files to this folder structure.
7) Pack this structure into ZIP archive. (not RAR or any other!)
8) Change name of the file from .zip to .h5m.
9) copy this .h5m file to your Heroes V Maps directory.
10) Now you can open this map in the editor :)
Last edited by alavris on 16 Oct 2006, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

JagoBC
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JagoBC » 13 Oct 2006, 22:34

I downloaded the "Too Large for You" fan map called "The Cresent", and it has more than 8 towns and so far works fine. Of course, I am playing the allied version, so maybe the problem only arises when a single player owns more than 8 towns.

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

convertion from .pak to .h5m instructions

Unread postby margie414 » 14 Oct 2006, 12:22

Can't Thank You enough for all your help and I want you know it is very much appreciated. :D I am hoping to learn a lot about scripts from these maps.

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby margie414 » 14 Oct 2006, 13:58

alavris wrote:
I am unclear to some of the instructions;

1) In your Heroes V data folder, extract all .pak files to the same directory.
QUESTION: Do I need to change ALL .pak files to zip and extract All to original Data folder or create a new dir for these files? Wouldn't it be enough just to unpak the Map Folder from the Texts.pak file?

4) In third line of map-tag.xdb file, change "M10.xdb" to "map.xdb" so the line looks like this:

Code: Select all

<AdvMapDesc href="/map.xdb#xpointer(/AdvMapDesc)"/>
QUESTION: how do I open a file with .xdb ext if I don't have the database? Maybe you would be so kind & send me the map-tag.xdb that you changed? email to: margie414@worldnet.net
5) Now in some other place create this folder structure: "\Maps\Multiplayer\M10".

QUESTION: According to to the above instructions would this zip which I change to h5m hold all of the maps or just the one?

7) Pack this structure into ZIP archive. (not RAR or any other!)

8) Change name of the file from .zip to .h5m.
9) copy this .h5m file to your Heroes V Maps directory.
10) Now you can open this map in the editor :)
Hope I don't sound like an idiot, but I'm trying. I thought as long as I can access each map individually from the unzipped texts.pak file(they each have their own structrure)that this would be sufficient.

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 14 Oct 2006, 19:47

Do I need to change ALL .pak files to zip and extract All to original Data folder or create a new dir for these files? Wouldn't it be enough just to unpak the Map Folder from the Texts.pak file?
All .pak files must be extracted, because in each of these files, there are only parts of all files that makes a whole map. You don't have to unpack them to data folder, but it's the easiest way :)
how do I open a file with .xdb
I opened it in WordPad :) You can use any text editor.
According to to the above instructions would this zip which I change to h5m hold all of the maps or just the one?
Only one.
Hope I don't sound like an idiot
You don't. :) There are no stupid questions, maybe only stupid answers...
I thought as long as I can access each map individually from the unzipped texts.pak file(they each have their own structrure)that this would be sufficient.
In texts.pak, there are only .txt files of maps.

I hope, everything is more clear now...

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

unclear to some of the instructions

Unread postby margie414 » 15 Oct 2006, 22:23

2) In this example we will convert multiplayer map named "L1", so firstly open extracted "\Maps\Multiplayer\M10\" folder.

Question
example for "L1" but extracting "M10" folder? Are we actually creating a h5m map file for "M10" and not "L1"?

Also,
Just want to understand. When you say.

5) Now in some other place create this folder structure: "\Maps\Multiplayer\M10\".

Question; You really mean copy M10 file you convert and and Not to copy "All the map files" Right? I am so confused, :| ;)

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 16 Oct 2006, 16:46

Question
example for "L1" but extracting "M10" folder? Are we actually creating a h5m map file for "M10" and not "L1"?
Sorry for the mistake... it should be M10 in both places. I've already changed it.
Question; You really mean copy M10 file you convert and and Not to copy "All the map files" Right? I am so confused,
I mean "all the map files of M10 map" :)

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby margie414 » 16 Oct 2006, 22:06

OK! I'm beginning to see the light!

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 18 Oct 2006, 22:08

[quote="alavris"]While searching through many HoMM fan-sites and forums, I realized that there wasn't any official H5 maps in .h5m format. I also found many opinions that it's impossible to make them openable in the editor. So I decided to... make it ;) Here is result of my over 2 hours long work. All 20 multiplayer maps and 10 single missions which I converted to .h5m format can be downloaded from here:

[url]http://d.turboupload.com/d/1017848/Hero ... s.zip.html[/url]

Enjoy!
.[/quote]

Are these maps usable on the North American version of H5?
ransomdl
Warlock

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”