Here are official H5 maps converted to .h5m

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
LoneChinchilla
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LoneChinchilla » 02 Jan 2007, 17:36

alavris, thanks for the help. Let's try the M5 scenario. I unzipped *all* the pak files, then I looked only inside the \Maps\Multiplayer\M5 folder. (Am I supposed to be gathering files from other places also? I notice your version has more files in it.) Here are the files I find in the extracted-then-1-filename-modified \Maps\Multiplayer\M5 folder:

GroundTerrain.bin
map.xdb
MapScript.lua
map-tag.xdb
mM5.xdb
mM5_2_pic.dds
mM5_2_pic.xdb
mM5_3_pic.dds
mM5_3_pic.xdb
mM5_4_pic.dds
mM5_4_pic.xdb
mM5_pic.dds
mM5_pic.xdb
UndergroundTerrain.bin

As listed above, I renamed the appropriate file "map.xdb". I also changed the appropriate line in the map-tag.xdb file. Then I zipped my folder \Maps\Multiplayer\M5 into a file called M5.zip. I changed the name of M5.zip to M5.h5m. When I try to open this file in the editor, it doesn't work.

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 02 Jan 2007, 18:27

Hmmm.... in my M5 folder, there are 41 files and "Objectives" folder with another 3 files. I extracted them from these files in "data" folder:
  • data.pak
    sound.pak
    p0-data.pak
    texts.pak
    p0-texts.pak
    p1-data.pak
    p1-texts.pak
    p2-texts.pak
    p2-data.pak
    p3-texts.pak
    p3c-data.pak
What version of the games do you have? Hammers of Fate installed? I've not installed the expansion yet, so maybe problem is here?

Let's make an experiment :) Send me (alavris@wp.pl) your whole M5 directory and I'll check if I am able to convert it to h5m.

LoneChinchilla
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LoneChinchilla » 02 Jan 2007, 22:23

OK, a little progress. Maybe.

1. I had mistakenly not extracted one of the pak files in the data folder. Once I did this, I was only missing two of the 41 + 3 files.

2. I have HoF. In order to get those two missing files, I also had to extract from the HoF dataa1 directory.

...but it still doesn't work. I'm emailing you the files now to see if it works for you.

Another question...there are lots of duplicate files in the various folders. When extracting, I have been saying "yes to all" to the overwrite option. Most of the files I checked have the same size but different dates. The M5.xdb file (which we rename) does have some small size differences from .pak to .pak, though. Any thoughts on this? Which version should be used, or does it matter?

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 03 Jan 2007, 12:07

I've got your e-mail. I unzipped the file and then zipped it again to .h5m. There were no problems to open it in the editor. However, I found out that the map must be loaded from the editor, not from the explorer. So firstly open the editor, then the map.
Which version should be used, or does it matter?
I think it doesn't matter, but newer version of the file should be better than the older one :)
My Heroes V map: Tales of Silentia

LoneChinchilla
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LoneChinchilla » 03 Jan 2007, 14:47

Strange, it doesn't open in my editor (trying to load it from my editor, not from explorer). What software are you using to zip?

Could you send me the h5m file from your zip, and I'll try to open it?

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 03 Jan 2007, 15:17

I've just sent you an e-mail.

I use: http://www.7-zip.org/
My Heroes V map: Tales of Silentia

LoneChinchilla
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LoneChinchilla » 03 Jan 2007, 16:13

OK, we got it!

It looks like my problem had to do with my zip software. It seems that if you're not careful, your zip software does not preserve the folder structure. The map editor seems to need the zip file to have the entire Maps\Multiplayer\M10\ folder substructure intact. Details on the zip software:

1. I couldn't make Powerarchiver work at all.

2. Winzip works if you drag and drop the Maps folder into the Winzip window. I selected both "save full path info" and "include subfolders", but I'm not sure which of these is necessary. With those selected, the drag and drop works. However, if you go down and select all the individual files, the folder tree is of course destroyed, and the map editor can't read the resulting file.

3. 7-zip drag and drop of the Maps folder works too. Maybe this one is the nicest option.

Thanks for all the help alavris!

LoneChinchilla
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

English Map Names

Unread postby LoneChinchilla » 03 Jan 2007, 19:58

Here is an English list of the files for the original Nival maps:

L1 = Seven Lakes/Blood Lakes
L2 = Warlords
L3 = Battle of the Sexes
L4 = Rise to Power
M1 = Mystic's Vale
M2 = Allies
M3 = Windrose
M4 = Heritage
M5 = Divided Loyalties
M6 = Dragon Pass
M7 = Master of the Seas
M8 = Subterranean Treasures
M9 = No Man's Land
M10 = Last Hope
S1 = The Land of Outcasts
S2 = Neighbors
S3 = School of Sword and Magic
S4 = Peninsula
XL1 = War of Worlds
XL2 = Island of Desire

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes MMV-Tribes of the East

Unread postby ransomdl » 01 Feb 2008, 20:05

Has anyone tried to extract the maps from Tribes of the East to use in the Editor?

I have unzipped the data.pak file and found the text files for the maps all in one file, but cannot find the maps themselves. There are text files for a total of 17 maps for the Scenarios, 5 for the SingleMissions and 40 for the Multiplayer; but no map folders or files.
ransomdl
Warlock

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”