H5 editor performance

Maps and the art of mapmaking.

How do you rate the UI performance of the Heroes V editor?

Great, works smoothly even on larger maps with lots of objects.
3%
OK, with some lags on crowded large maps.
28%
Good on smaller maps, untried on larger.
14%
Acceptable on smaller maps, very laggy on larger.
41%
Poor performance even on smaller maps.
14%

Total votes: 29

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

H5 editor performance

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 15 Sep 2006, 22:06

I wonder how do you rate the performance (speed) of the user interface of the map editor. To add value to this poll you may put down the CPU, RAM and graphic adapter of your comp.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 15 Sep 2006, 22:08

My vote: acceptable on smaller maps only.
Comp: P4 2.4, 1.5GB RAM, GF5200(128MB)
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 17 Sep 2006, 10:47

I'm just starting to play with the editor so I really can't vote yet. My question is can the editor handle placing lots of objects in the new "too big for you size" or do we need to keep decoration down to a minimum?

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 17 Sep 2006, 21:14

Ururam Tururam wrote:My vote: acceptable on smaller maps only.
Comp: P4 2.4, 1.5GB RAM, GF5200(128MB)
My comp specs are similar to yours and, yes, it does lag quite a bit on larger maps.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 19 Sep 2006, 18:02

I voted "acceptable on smaller maps, very laggy on larger" and my system specs are a Pentium D, 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, & 256 MB ATI Radeon x600 card.

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 21 Sep 2006, 23:45

im at the point of almost getting fed up with the editor. its so laggy, choppy and slow when you make "too big for you" maps and start to have alot of objects.
even things like loading the map, and saving the map take time.

im about 75 percent done now, and have placed alot of objects now. The lag is so bad, in order to edit or change terrain, i have to use Ctrl-H to hide all the objects so i can move the camera angles around.

zooming out and viewing the map from high up, or trying to view all the map with objects visable is impossible.

simple tasks that should be quick take much too long, you know that button you can press in top tool bar that displays the AI pathing, shows the red blocked areas? when i press the button, it takes about 20 seconds to calculate and show the unblocked paths. im serious, i timed it.
its impossible to work with the feature active, i have to click to turn it on....wait....wait....view it, then click off, then move to the next object/area, click AI pathing on...wait 20 seconds....repeat.

selecting objects and moving them, which should be just click and drag, are lag and drag instead.

the only thing to keep my sanity is playing music now while i edit so at least i can listen to a song while im waiting.

sorry for the big rant, but im just getting frustrated how slow going it is now making my map.
i have a standard 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram, 256 mb video card computer, there is no reason the editor should be this slow.

they really need to make an "animations off" and "animations off" button.
im sure this would help alot.

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

Hey i'm not sure if you are aware of this but..

Unread postby nevermindspy » 22 Sep 2006, 10:13

Its massive trees placing that makes the map the slowest i suggest avoiding placing trees as much as you can or you can also just place the trees after map is finished .. would help the slowness alot..

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 22 Sep 2006, 17:17

its not just the trees, its the animations of every object.

trees may be the worst, but they are not the only problem. i made the first half of the map the desert and lava area, and i still had the same slowness i have now. i only recently added trees.
the problem mainly occurs with the placing of objects. when i moved to the undeveloped areas, with bare terrain, i was able to do things quicker, but as soon as objects were placed, things start to lag down.
being able to turn animations off of all objects i think would make a big improvement.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 26 Sep 2006, 20:49

I voted topmost, it runs smoothly for me 99% of the time.
myythryyn wrote:you know that button you can press in top tool bar that displays the AI pathing, shows the red blocked areas? when i press the button, it takes about 20 seconds to calculate and show the unblocked paths. im serious, i timed it.
its impossible to work with the feature active, i have to click to turn it on....wait....wait....view it, then click off, then move to the next object/area, click AI pathing on...wait 20 seconds....repeat.
I have to agree with that, that function is SLOW even in small maps; it tends to be less laggy underground though (might just be because there are less objects and open spots there).

CPU: 2.21 GHz, 1 gig of ram, and GeForce 7600 GT (256 Mb).

Mozared

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 27 Sep 2006, 09:14

Voted: "Acceptable on smaller maps, very laggy on larger".

Athlon 2800+, 1024 DDRAM, Geforce 6600GT AGP.

Really a pity, finished two small maps and was quite surprised when the performance dropped dramatically while working on my first large map.

As mentioned before, turning of animations as an option (like in H4ed?) is A MUST!!!!

edit: typo
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

MER
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MER » 27 Sep 2006, 10:48

Acceptable on smaller maps, very laggy on larger.

That's why when I have to change only text files often (script, names etc.) I use winrar and not the editor.

margie414
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby margie414 » 01 Oct 2006, 21:26

[quote="myythryyn"]im at the point of almost getting fed up with the editor. its so laggy, choppy and slow when you make "too big for you" maps and start to have alot of objects.
even things like loading the map, and saving the map take time.

zooming out and viewing the map from high up, or trying to view all the map with objects visable is impossible.

selecting objects and moving them, which should be just click and drag, are lag and drag instead.

quote]

Why is there no scroll bar to scroll from left to right to view the map like there is in the H4 editor? How do you go to a different area on the map without the scroll bars?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 01 Oct 2006, 22:24

margie414 wrote: Why is there no scroll bar to scroll from left to right to view the map like there is in the H4 editor? How do you go to a different area on the map without the scroll bars?
Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move up, down, or to the sides. You can also left click in the minimap.

I voted:
OK, with some lags on crowded large maps.
The map editor has been fine for me. Yes, it lags if you try to get a high view of everything on a "too big for you" map, but I think that is to be expected with all the animation. There is an option to hide some stuff if you really need that high up view that should help with any lag problems you have.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 03 Oct 2006, 23:17

so i got to see the major difference in the editor's performance due to map size.

im making a map on small setting.

first off, on small maps, i can save and load(in game, and in editor) maps alot faster, making testing easier. i used to dread testing my big map, having to wait for it to load.

you can also place objects and do things with the AI path feature on, something you cannot do without hiding almost everything on big maps. which defeats the purpose of checking blocked paths when everything is hidden.

placing objects, dragging and moving them, again, no problems on small. no more lag and drop.
i basically could only work with camera top down angle on large maps, with small maps, i can move around the camera with hardly any lag, except some angles.

now that i know how quick, easy and lag free map making can be, i really dont know if ill ever make another too big for you map. making maps on that size is really is a test of patience.

and again, Nival make an animations on and off button
do this now!!!! .....please....
;)

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”