[H5 EDITOR] Troubleshooting topic

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 09 Mar 2008, 20:48

(rdeford quote)
Try it and keep me posted. Don't worry about pestering me. It is one of my passions to have more people doing scripted H5 maps. My reward will be seeing you post a new map to the CH archives.[/quote]

rdeford,

I compledted two scripts on a map. If I only use the first one, the map is OK, but when adding the second script I am getting an error message as follows:
(Script)ERROR: expected;
last token read `,' at line 19 in string "DoString script"
Script failed, unknown error

The script is as follows:

Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "day1");

function day1()
if(GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 3) then
GiveExp("Shadwyn", 30000);
Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, nil);
end;
end;

Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "day2");

function day2()
if(GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 5)then
car=(CARAVAN..GetDate(DAY);
CreateCaravan(car,Player_1,GROUND,93,73,GROUND,73,62);
sleep(2);
SetObjectRotation(car),180);
AddObjectCreatures(car,CREATURE_ASSASSIN, 100);
end;
end;

Can you tell me what the error message means and what do I need to do to do a "DoString script" as the error message suggest. Secondly, what is wrong with the script as it is written?
ransomdl
Warlock

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 10 Mar 2008, 07:23

ransomdl wrote:

Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "day1");

function day1()
if(GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 3) then
end;
end;

Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "day2");

function day2()
if(GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 5)then
CreateCaravan(car,Player_1,GROUND,93,73,GROUND,73,62);
sleep(2);
end;
end;

?
First, you cannot have two trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, " ")s

second, look carefully at these odd lines:

Code: Select all

So I would suggest:

Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "days");

function days()
day1;
day2;
end;

function day1()
     if GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 3  then
     end;
end;

function day2()
     if GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 5 then
          car=("CARAVAN"..GetDate(DAY));
          CreateCaravan(car,PLAYER_1,GROUND,93,73,GROUND,73,62);
          sleep(2);
          SetObjectRotation(car,180);
     end;
end;

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 10 Mar 2008, 21:50

[quote="Pitsu"][quote="ransomdl"]

?[/quote]

So I would suggest:
[code]

function days()
day1;
day2;
end;

function day1()
if GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 3 then
end;
end;

function day2()
sleep(2);
end;
end;
[/code][/quote]

I wrote the Script as you suggested and got the following Error message in the console when I started the game:

"Script Error: `=' expected;
last token read: `;' at line 4 in string "DoString script"
Script failed, unnown error

The Script did not activate. Not sure what the error message means and I don't know what to do about "DoString Script", as I have not found this command in your Script Guide, the Practical Editor Manual or in the literature on the "lua" website. The line 4 in the script is the line script reference [day1;].

Any thoughts?
ransomdl
Warlock

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 11 Mar 2008, 06:29

ransomdl wrote:
The Script did not activate. Not sure what the error message means and I don't know what to do about "DoString Script", as I have not found this command in your Script Guide, the Practical Editor Manual or in the literature on the "lua" website. The line 4 in the script is the line script reference [day1;].

Any thoughts?
My fault, the first function should be:

function days()
day1();
day2();
end; 
Hope, it works better.

"DoString" refers to the action where the script file is read by computer. The error message you got means: "Could not make any sensible command out of line 4. Last character that was read is ';', but for the line to make sense, it should be '='. "
It expects '=', because it saw day1 as a variable not as a command.

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 11 Mar 2008, 14:37

Pitsu wrote:
My fault, the first function should be:

function days()
day1();
day2();
end; 
Pitsu,

Re-configured code to read as follows:

function days()
day1;
day2;
end;

function day1()
	if GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 3) then
	end;
end;

function day2()
		sleep(2);
	end;
end;
I now get the following error message in the console:

(Script)ERROR: `=' expected;
last token read: `;' at line 2 in string "DoString script"

The line 2 reference is "day1();"

If I undestand your information of "DoString script" it is expecting an `=' sign after line 2, but that doesn't make sense as compared to the way your script for Ruinsindesert did for "function day1()". Any other thoughts on the way the script may be improperly structured?

Additionally, why when I enter the code in the message setup to you, does it utilize the tabbed spacing from the copied and pasted script, but shows up in the final posted message without the tab structure?
ransomdl
Warlock

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 11 Mar 2008, 18:06

ransomdl wrote:
(Script)ERROR: `=' expected;
last token read: `;' at line 2 in string "DoString script"

The line 2 reference is "day1();"
Is line two day1(); or day1; ? In the code that you provided you still have the day1;
If I undestand your information of "DoString script" it is expecting an `=' sign after line 2, but that doesn't make sense as compared to the way your script for Ruinsindesert did for "function day1()". Any other thoughts on the way the script may be improperly structured?
day1 - is understood as a variable and it wants you to give it a value like day1 = 777
day() - is understood as a callup for a function. This version you should use in current case
Additionally, why when I enter the code in the message setup to you, does it utilize the tabbed spacing from the copied and pasted script, but shows up in the final posted message without the tab structure?
You had BBCode disabled. Check your profile to see whether it is disabled there. But when you write a message, right below the textbox are several checkboxes. Make sure the first one is unchecked.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 15 Mar 2008, 20:57

@ ransomdl

From what I can see in the code you posted, Pitsu is exactly correct when he tells you:
day1 - is understood as a variable and it wants you to give it a value like day1 = 777
day() - is understood as a callup for a function. This version you should use in current case

In other words, when using a function name as a command, as you are doing in line 2, you must have the () as in day1(). Without the () the compiler thinks it is a variable and expects you to be assigning a value to it with the = assignment operator.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 16 Mar 2008, 21:09

Pitsu,
rdeford,

Thank you both for your input. I corrected the Script as suggested and in testing the script, it worked properly. I have played with how to close the function with a given date and finally resolved this part of the script.

Now I am working on a script function that will give resources to a specific Player, but have not been successful in using "SetPlayerResources" to achieve this objective.

Any suggestion of how to give a Player specific resources at a given time?
ransomdl
Warlock

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 16 Mar 2008, 22:18

ransomdl wrote: Now I am working on a script function that will give resources to a specific Player, but have not been successful in using "SetPlayerResources" to achieve this objective.

Any suggestion of how to give a Player specific resources at a given time?
Here are actual working functions from the script of the map I'm currently working on.

First here is a function that uses SetPlayerResource():

function payGold(amt)
	local pGold = GetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1, GOLD);
	pGold = pGold - amt;
	if pGold >= 0 then
		SetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1, GOLD, pGold);
		Play2DSound( "/Sounds/_(Sound)/Interface/Ingame/Buy.xdb#xpointer(/Sound)");	
	  else
		MessageBox(path.."notEnoughGold.txt", "");
	end;	
end;
Second, if you wish to trigger a function periodically, then trigger a function with the NEW_DAY_TRIGGER that calls a set of other functions, each of which has a test to see if it is time for it to operate. For example, here is a large function that gets triggered every day:

function dawn()
	replinishTraders();	-- replenish trader resource amounts
	shutDownMinesNW(); 	-- shutdown mines with no workers
	shutDownFeedersND();-- shutdown feeders when no days of service remain
	attackFeedersNI(); 	-- attack a feeder if no insurance policy is in force
	shutDownMinesNF();	-- shutdowm mines when there arn't enough active feeders
	generateWorkers();	-- generate workers in Union Hall based on active feeders
	setInsuranceAmt();	-- ratchet premiums upwards
	checkInsurance();	-- inform player when policy expires
	sabotageMinesAI();	-- AI players sabotage mines periodically to make things fun
	attackMinesAI();	-- AI players send claim jumpers periodically to make things fun
	lowerMoral();		-- worker moral deteriorates daily
	holdFestival();		-- raise worker moral if festival has been purchased
	workerTurnover();	-- workers quit because of low moral
	bankIntrestCk();	-- see if player earns any intrest
	getP1BestHeroLevel();	-- save player's best hero level
	upgradeAIheroes();	-- level up the best AI hero for each AI player to approach P1 best hero level
end;
  Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "dawn");
Third, here is one of those functions. Notice that it operates only on day 2 of each week:

function getP1BestHeroLevel() 

local day = GetDate(DAY_OF_WEEK) 	
	local p1Heroes = GetPlayerHeroes(PLAYER_1);
	local idx = length(p1Heroes) - 1;
	local hLevel = 0;
	local hName = "";
	local bestLevel =0;
	local bestName = "";

if day == 2 then
		for i=0, idx do 
			hName = hName..p1Heroes[i];
			hLevel = GetHeroLevel(hName);
			if hLevel > bestLevel then
				bestLevel = hLevel;
				bestName = hName;
			end
			hName = "";
		end
		if bestLevel > bestP1HeroLevel then
			bestP1HeroLevel = bestLevel;
			bestP1HeroName = bestName;
		end;
	end;
end;
OK, now you should be able to study these functions to see how they each do part of what you desire. Then, armed with that knowledge you should be able to create a script that does what you desire.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 18 Mar 2008, 01:04

rdeford,

I was researching some of the scripts from the TotE maps and found this script function used and tried the concept in my own map script and it worked better than anything I had tried and it is pretty simple. Thought I would share it with you.

function day3()
	if GetDate( DAY_OF_WEEK ) == 6 then
	     SetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1,GOLD,GetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1,GOLD)+10000);
	     SetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1,CRYSTAL,GetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1,CRYSTAL)+10);
	     SetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1,SULFUR,GetPlayerResource(PLAYER_1,SULFUR)+10);
	end;
end;	
The script runs for two weeks and then I 'nil' the function and it stops.

Thanks for your help and your samples scripts. I am sure I will be able to make use of them as I am learning the scripting process.

Is there a simple way to script a "Message" that will play on the screen after a function is completed without having to develop a separate text in wordpad. Then inserting the .txt file into the map file before zipping the file and converting it to .h5m and then putting back into the maps folder?
ransomdl
Warlock

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 18 Mar 2008, 02:47

ransomdl wrote: Is there a simple way to script a "Message" that will play on the screen after a function is completed without having to develop a separate text in wordpad. Then inserting the .txt file into the map file before zipping the file and converting it to .h5m and then putting back into the maps folder?
No, you have to have a text resource file in order to display a message box. But, it sounds like you are creating resource files the hard way. Download the new version 2 of the H5 Scripting guide that we just made available. It tells you the correct method of creating a text resource file, which is easier than you have been doing with NotePad. It also covers how to display variables in your text files, and I know you will like to do that once you learn how.

BTW my maps often have 80, 90, or 100+ resource text files. I can do them in my sleep nowadays.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 18 Mar 2008, 14:28

rdeford,

Thank you for your reply. I just downloaded Version 2.0 of the Scripting Guide and at first look, you have made a lot of changes that I am anxious to review, specifically the section on creating and referring to text files.

The fans of Heroes MM V should be very greatfull for yours and Pitsu contributions to this Scripting Guide.
ransomdl
Warlock

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

TotE Map Editing

Unread postby ransomdl » 01 Apr 2008, 16:27

rdeford,

Nov 08, 2007, Apocalypse responded to your posting for converting maps into .h5m format. The posting was a proceedure to change the profile of the editor_a1.cfg file and then,how to open the editor to view the original game maps.

I have followed the process and have opened up the original maps from TotE. After making changes to the maps, I have saved the maps under the "Resource" tab using the "Save All" command. Then when I open the map in the TotE game play the changes are not there. Reopening the Map Editor and opening the map that I save the edited changes, the changes are still in the map, but don't show up in the game.

Any thoughts on this? I have extracted the map files from other versions of Heroes MM V and configured them to .h5m format and then edited them in the Editor then converted them back to the original format and re-zipped them into the data.pak files to play with the edited changes in the game. But, in the TotE version of the downloaded game, when the data.pak file is extracted with zip, the Map folders with the map files are not visible. So I am not able to find the TotE original maps even when extracted.
ransomdl
Warlock

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 01 Apr 2008, 23:27

@ ransomdl

I did not ever use the procedure. Instead, I downloaded the maps from the site where they were posted. (I forget the location, but it's given in that thread where you got the procedure.)

While I don't actually know the answer to your question, I suspect that the original map is still in the game storage directory and that the game opens it instead of your modified map. I have a hunch that you will have to delete the original map or put it into a different directory.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 02 Apr 2008, 15:49

rdeford wrote:@ ransomdl

I did not ever use the procedure. Instead, I downloaded the maps from the site where they were posted. (I forget the location, but it's given in that thread where you got the procedure.)

While I don't actually know the answer to your question, I suspect that the original map is still in the game storage directory and that the game opens it instead of your modified map. I have a hunch that you will have to delete the original map or put it into a different directory.
rdeford,

I looked in the Game Save Folder and only the saves are there for games played. This particular campaign map from TotE for "A Murder of Crow's" has not been played yet. I am unable to delete the original map because unlike other versions of Heroes, when you unzip the "data.pak" files and extracted the files, the files for the maps were put into a folder for the different type of maps; ie. Scenario Maps, Multiplayer Maps and SingleMission Maps.

With the TotE version, when you unzip the "data.pak" files and extract the files, there are no folders for the different type maps and no map files are visible. The Map Editor shows the routing for the Campaign Map A2C0M0 which is known as "A Murder of Crow's" as follows: AdvMapDesc:/Maps/Scenarios/A2C0M0/Map.xdb#xpointer(/AdvMapDesc)

I have done a search and can not find any reference to "AdvMapDesc" on the hard drive including a search of all hidden folders which I have marked to be shown at all times as well as file extensions.

I am baffeled at this point of where to find the maps or whether you can use Editor to actually modify the game maps that are not in the Map folder with an .h5m extension.

If you have any ideas or know of someone in the Heroes Round Table, I would appreciate the help. I also downloaded the maps from the site your mentioned and have no problem opening those files with .h5m extension and making changes. These can be done within the Maps folder and opened within the game. The issue is the original maps opened in Editor and why the changes to these maps do not show the changes in the Game play.
ransomdl
Warlock

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 02 Apr 2008, 17:40

OK, I did not express myself very well, namely because I don't know enough. But, I was not referring the the Saved games directory. Instead I was referring to the internal H5 maps. Basically, I think you will have to unpack the Data folder in the H5 TOTE directory to get at the original maps. On my computer, that director is located here:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East\data

It is a packed directory so that's why you couldn't find the map with the Windows search facility. The map you modified is actually located a little deeper:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East\data\Maps\Scenario

Again, I'm too ignorant to be giving the advice that follows, and I have NOT tried it out on my computer, so take it with that proviso.

I would try renaming the packed data file, "packedData" for example. Then unpack it and rename the unpacked directory "data". Then, remove the original map from that directory and then repack it. The result should be a new packed "data" directory without the original map, and an unchanged packed directory named packedData. Then, place your modified map in the regular Maps directory where you place other custom maps. Launch the game, which should ignore the directory you renamed "packedData", and you should see your custom map from the Maps directory. (It appears to be a Scenario map, by the way, so take that into account.)

Anyway, if this procedure doesn't work, you have the original directory as a backup. Simply delete the new "data" directory, and rename the "packedData" directory as "data" and you will be back where you started.

Calling all Experts -- please help. I am not worthy.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

ransomdl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ransomdl » 07 Apr 2008, 16:30

rdeford,

After your response, I went back and set aanother copy of the original data.pak, text.pak, sound.pak and soundfx.pak files on a separate drive.

After extracting each of the .pak files into seperate folders on the separate drive with winzip, as I have done with all previous versions of Heroes V and Heroes V Hof, I examined all of the folders specifically the data files.

In the extracted data files, there previously have been a series of folders of which one was named "Maps" and within that folder were a number of folders such as:
Multiplayer, Scenario and SingleMission
Within each of these folders were a series of folders such as in Scenario:
A1C1M1, A1C1M2, A1C1M3, A1C1M4 and A1C1M5 of which held files including map.xdb and map-tag.xdb which were the map and the reference to the map for that particular scenario (mission).

But in TotE data.pak, there are no folder "Maps" and therefore there are no additional folders for "Multiplayer, Scenario and SingleMission". So the maps are not visible even unpacked.

While we can see the Map structure in the Editor after activating the "AdvMapDesc" feature in the Editor and can make changes in a selected Map and even save the changes, the changes are not visible in the Game.

While I have unpacked the "Maps" in other versions of Heroes V, I am at a loss to understand what Ubisoft has done with the Map folders when the data.pak file is unpacked and extracted.

I am hopeful that someone can help with this problem.
ransomdl
Warlock

Cyanight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cyanight » 27 Apr 2008, 18:49

alavris wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:
Pitsu wrote: Should work. I would double check that the "TestScript" function itself is correct. And the syntax everywhere...
Hmmm . . . can someone provide an example of a function that works when capturing a town so I can compare?
I can try. Firstly open object properties tree (of the town which will be captured). To do this, mark by the cursor the town on the map. When it's red, press CTRL+SPACE. Now, add name of the town in this tree. It's important to do it here, because done in town properties window will not work. Now in map properties window paste the example code:

function fun1()
	MessageBox("Maps/Multiplayer/Alavris 1/wiad1.txt");
end;

Trigger(OBJECT_CAPTURE_TRIGGER, "TestTown", "fun1");
It's all simple, but the trap is when we have to name the town. Remember to do it in right place.
Im using this script with a "School of Magic" object and I cannot get it to trigger. The script works with a dwelling but not the "School of Magic" object.

Can anyone help please?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 27 Apr 2008, 20:36

Cyanight wrote: Im using this script with a "School of Magic" object and I cannot get it to trigger. The script works with a dwelling but not the "School of Magic" object.

Can anyone help please?
You don't capture things like schools of magic. You'll need to use an OBJECT_TOUCH_TRIGGER. For example, here is one of the touch triggers in my Shadow Dreams map. This touch script is activated when the Player 1 touches a particular prison.
function CyrusRescued()
if GetCurrentPlayer () == whoishuman and GetCurrentPlayer () == PLAYER_1 and academyprison == 0 then
MessageBox(path.."Academy Heroe Rescued.txt");
GiveExp ("Tan", 8000);
humansecondaryheroe = "Tan";
academyprison = 1;
SetObjectiveState ("Rescue Cyrus", OBJECTIVE_COMPLETED,PLAYER_1);
end;
Trigger (OBJECT_TOUCH_TRIGGER, "Cyrus's Prison", nil );
end;
Trigger (OBJECT_TOUCH_TRIGGER, "Cyrus's Prison", "CyrusRescued" );
If you can get your script to work after trying the on touch trigger post your script and tell us exactly what you are trying to get it to do and what it is actually doing.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Cyanight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cyanight » 29 Apr 2008, 16:06

Thanks Grumpy Old Wizard.

Thats exactly what my problem was. I did not know the triggers were so specific. Sill learning the script language. Thank you

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”