[H5 EDITOR] Troubleshooting topic

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

[H5 EDITOR] Troubleshooting topic

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Sep 2006, 08:29

There needed to be one of those, so here it is ^^

Here you can ask questions about problems you encountered in the editor, and hopefully some other mapmaker will be able to answer it ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------

- I tried to make a little scenario, but I can't test it. When I try to launch it in Heroes V, the "Start game" button (on the "Create" screen) stays grayed... ???

- Each time I try to put a Necropolis town on the map, the map checking gives me a "Intersection between object and craig" error...

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 14 Sep 2006, 09:08

ad1: Save the map and run the game.
ad2: Don't worry.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Sep 2006, 09:12

Ururam Tururam wrote:ad1: Save the map and run the game.
Very funny. Read carefully what I wrote : "When I try to launch it in Heroes V, the "Start game" button (on the "Create" screen) stays grayed" : the create screen is the scree you have AFTER having selecting the map in the list and clicked on "Create". This is the screen where you can choose the type of town, starting hero, and so on. Actually being a scenario you can't change any options. But you can't start the game either : the button is inactive and I can't find any reasons why.

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 14 Sep 2006, 09:32

I've never had any problems with that...
The only thing that comes into my mind is checking if there is one human-playable player slot.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Sep 2006, 09:44

Ururam Tururam wrote:I've never had any problems with that...
The only thing that comes into my mind is checking if there is one human-playable player slot.
Player 1 is human. Player 2 is computer. That's the first thing I checked too. Player 1 starts with one town and one hero... Player 2 has five towns and one hero is generated in his main town. Really I can't find what's wrong.

Silence
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Silence » 14 Sep 2006, 13:52

Marzhin wrote: Player 1 is human. Player 2 is computer. That's the first thing I checked too. Player 1 starts with one town and one hero... Player 2 has five towns and one hero is generated in his main town. Really I can't find what's wrong.
Check the teams tab. Your both players may acidentially be allies and have therefore automatically won before the map starts. Do it in the editor or when running the game, the numbers on players flags should not be identical.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Sep 2006, 14:00

Silence wrote:
Marzhin wrote: Player 1 is human. Player 2 is computer. That's the first thing I checked too. Player 1 starts with one town and one hero... Player 2 has five towns and one hero is generated in his main town. Really I can't find what's wrong.
Check the teams tab. Your both players may acidentially be allies and have therefore automatically won before the map starts. Do it in the editor or when running the game, the numbers on players flags should not be identical.
Ooooh, I didn't think about the teams... I'll check this this evening, thanks to both of you ;)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Sep 2006, 17:29

Silence wrote: Check the teams tab. Your both players may acidentially be allies and have therefore automatically won before the map starts. Do it in the editor or when running the game, the numbers on players flags should not be identical.
Isnt there the turn off regular victory conditions button?

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Sep 2006, 18:21

I think a general word of advice would be suitable for future questions:

Read the Documentation

Seriously.

There are two different manuals. One is a tutorial and the other a general guide.

Both are worth it. The english is rough, but the general concepts come across.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

goodrix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby goodrix » 14 Sep 2006, 19:29

Marzhin wrote:
Silence wrote:
Ooooh, I didn't think about the teams... I'll check this this evening, thanks to both of you ;)
I had the exact same problem (the start game button was grayed). I solved it by assigning different teams for the human and the computer player. By default the teams box is unchecked and all the players are in team 1. I found that if I left the box unchecked I couldn't start the game so I manyally assigned team numbers and it worked.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 15 Sep 2006, 08:38

Changing the team did the trick.

Ok, now I'm trying to go into scripting. I wanted to do something rather simple : make a Message Box appear on a specific day. How can I do that ?

First of all, the MessageBox calls a '.txt' file which must be included in the map archive. According to the Theoric Manual, this file can be defined in the "map resources", I thought it could be in the Map Properties list but I couldn't find it. The only way I found so far is to manually add the .txt in the .h5m using Winrar... Is there any other solutions I may have missed ?

Second, how can I call it to pop up on , say, day eight and never again ? I tried creating a

function Message ()
if getDate(DAY) == 8 then
messageBox('day8.txt');
end;
end;

Then call the function using Trigger (NEW_DAY_TRIGGER), but that doesn't work... I'm not a programmer or anything so I may miss a simpler solution.
Bandobras Took wrote:I think a general word of advice would be suitable for future questions:

Read the Documentation

Seriously.
I have the Practical, Theoric and Scripting guides open while I'm working on the editor :)

Silence
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Silence » 15 Sep 2006, 10:00

Marzhin wrote: Then call the function using Trigger (NEW_DAY_TRIGGER), but that doesn't work...
The function name should be listed as well IIRC. Thus:

Trigger (NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "Message")

If you have more than one new_day_trigger and it triggers only the first one, then you need to make it a bit more tricky, but since it possibly isn't a problem for you, I won't talk about it now.

edit: doublecheck getDate vs GetDate and messageBox vs MessageBox ?

edit2: if the syntax is correct, but it does not work then: add the very same Trigger (NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "Message") into script itself. Between the two "end;"s or before the first "end;" as "else trigger... . Just in case it triggers it only for day1 and forgets later. You can also try other commands instead of MessageBox to see whether it cannot show the message (wrong destination) or it does not trigger the timed event at all.
Last edited by Silence on 15 Sep 2006, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 15 Sep 2006, 10:21

Silence wrote:
Marzhin wrote: Then call the function using Trigger (NEW_DAY_TRIGGER), but that doesn't work...
The function name should be listed as well IIRC. Thus:

Trigger (NEW_DAY_TRIGGER, "Message")

If you have more than one new_day_trigger and it triggers only the first one, then you need to make it a bit more tricky, but since it possibly isn't a problem for you, I won't talk about it now.

edit: doublecheck getDate vs GetDate and messageBox vs MessageBox ?
I'll check that, thanks. As I said, I'm not a programmer so I may make tons of silly mistakes.

Silence
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Silence » 15 Sep 2006, 10:27

I just did and edit2 to my last post while you posted, you can check these ideas up as well...

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 15 Sep 2006, 10:44

Does anybody know if it is possible to open official (Ubisoft-made) maps in the editor? If yes, then how do you do this?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 15 Sep 2006, 13:54

alavris wrote:Does anybody know if it is possible to open official (Ubisoft-made) maps in the editor? If yes, then how do you do this?
It has been answered in this thread : viewtopic.php?t=3785

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 15 Sep 2006, 14:50

I made a map, it is being saved correctly, it has no problems with teams or etc. but the map does not appear at all in the game, when I select custom maps. What could be the reasons?
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 15 Sep 2006, 14:53

Logan Warbringer wrote:I made a map, it is being saved correctly, it has no problems with teams or etc. but the map does not appear at all in the game, when I select custom maps. What could be the reasons?
Is it a scenario or multiplayer map ? If the latter, did you check "show multiplayer maps" in the scenario choice screen ?

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 15 Sep 2006, 15:00

It's a singleplayer map (one human one AI), and YES, I checked it:)

Perhaps it's the 1.2 game.exe file I have to use because there is no standalone .exe file for 1.3 yet? I had the same problem with running the game after updating as many others and so I used 1.2 cracked file.
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 15 Sep 2006, 15:23

Logan Warbringer wrote:It's a singleplayer map (one human one AI), and YES, I checked it:)

Perhaps it's the 1.2 game.exe file I have to use because there is no standalone .exe file for 1.3 yet? I had the same problem with running the game after updating as many others and so I used 1.2 cracked file.
I guess the fanmade map can only be played with Heroes 5 1.3.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”