H-V Map Editor, "Now that I've played much of the game&

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 10 Aug 2006, 11:36

Well, certainly a map with no story is bad. But having text windows and the task system known from H5 campaigns the mapmakers will be able to build interesting stories.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Silence
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Silence » 10 Aug 2006, 11:56

Ururam Tururam wrote:But having text windows and the task system known from H5 campaigns the mapmakers will be able to build interesting stories.
You mean the objectives description and dialogue log (or whatever it was called) windows? They are comfortably large, but uncomfortable to access for every story piece. Or you meant something else?

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 10 Aug 2006, 12:40

Silence wrote:You mean the objectives description and dialogue log (or whatever it was called) windows?
Those plus text boxes when you can put the story. The boxes are significantly smaller than the full screen, but they have scroller for longer texts and are small enough to discourage people from writting multichapter novels inside the messages...
Hoc est opus!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Aug 2006, 13:30

Ururam Tururam wrote:Those plus text boxes when you can put the story. The boxes are significantly smaller than the full screen, but they have scroller for longer texts and are small enough to discourage people from writting multichapter novels inside the messages...
If I can't get my multichapter stories, they're too small and should be increased. Right now, I think the only story which would fit without scrolling is "Your neighbour has insulted your mom. Now you have to kill him.".
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 13 Aug 2006, 09:07

Ururam Tururam wrote:
Thelonious wrote:As in: make your own scripts? That would go a little far woldn't it?
Why? For sure it's easier than to make cutscenes.
I didn't meant that it would be hard, I said it would go far. But it would be nice indeed. The only thing is: in what language the scripts would have to be made? And the next question would be will the still be scripts (as we knew the from HoMM IV) but will they be built by mapmakers in the scriptmaking language.

As for the cinamatics - it shouldn't be really hard, I've seen simple to use cinamatics tools in mapeditors before. To really let the cinamatics shine you'd have to use advanced feature though. But the bsic cutscene from the HoMM V Campaign would be easely made with those cinamatics editors.
Ururam Tururam wrote: Well, don't worry guys, judging from the beta (as you know for one of previous POTDs I have seen it) we will get a powerful tool.
:devious: Yes and I like it. Yet it will strain me from ever finishing my HoMM IV campaign...
Grah!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 13 Aug 2006, 10:01

Thelonious wrote: I didn't meant that it would be hard, I said it would go far. But it would be nice indeed. The only thing is: in what language the scripts would have to be made? And the next question would be will the still be scripts (as we knew the from HoMM IV) but will they be built by mapmakers in the scriptmaking language.
The language is lua based, as you can see in existing map script files (you can start learning commands from there). AFAIK the scripting won't be based on (sub)windows and dropdown menus like in H4, but more txt editor "type in yourself". Sure, it will have some helpful tools.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 15 Aug 2006, 13:29

maybe 2 different map editors?

HOMM III map editor was less powerful than HOMM IV, but it took 5 times less time to make a detailed map. in HOMM IV, eg placing trees was a routine pain. trees should already have premade groups, elseway it takes forever.

that(too time-needing) is probably the main reason(besides that it is newer) why there are so few HOMM4 maps compared to HOMM3.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 15 Aug 2006, 13:53

vhilhu wrote:maybe 2 different map editors?

HOMM III map editor was less powerful than HOMM IV, but it took 5 times less time to make a detailed map. in HOMM IV, eg placing trees was a routine pain. trees should already have premade groups, elseway it takes forever.

that(too time-needing) is probably the main reason(besides that it is newer) why there are so few HOMM4 maps compared to HOMM3.
In the HOMM4 editor you could make your own brushes to solve that problem. Several mapmakers have made their brushes available for download here.

GOW

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 15 Aug 2006, 16:05

You do need an expansion, but here is a link.

Anyway, it seems like we're in for a treat with the editor (if the script editor is any good), when it finally comes. I do hope I can still focus on my HoMM IV map though.
Grah!

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 15 Aug 2006, 16:58

i havent got any expansion :(
but homm3WOG and homm5 are both better than homm4 anyway.
ill keep making my wog map.

but i can hope some brushes will be built-in by ubi. i hate seeking patches and fanmade tools over the internet. lazy me.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 16 Aug 2006, 17:09

Well that's the end of that idea then.

Anyhow, when will it come? probably soon TM
Grah!

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 20 Aug 2006, 16:53

Free Masons by Ururam Tururam could be the first fan-made map for H5. The preview looks nice and I'm really looking forward to playing it...! :-D

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 22 Aug 2006, 09:17

Mmm, looking good. I wonder if UT was in for a challenge with the AI...
Grah!

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 22 Aug 2006, 12:48

Thelonious wrote:Mmm, looking good. I wonder if UT was in for a challenge with the AI...
My first two or three maps will be MP, as they are easier to produce and I have to get used to the tool. In fact this will also give some time for the developers to finish the AI.
Hoc est opus!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 30 Aug 2006, 08:53

Mmm, ok.

Well good luck with the map making then!

Added:

By the way, will your maps (or those of other mapmaker beta's) be inclueded in the patch (or aren't you allowed to talk about that?)
Grah!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 30 Aug 2006, 09:40

Thelonious wrote: By the way, will your maps (or those of other mapmaker beta's) be inclueded in the patch (or aren't you allowed to talk about that?)
AFAIK they are not planned as a part of the patch.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 30 Aug 2006, 11:50

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to change heroes portraits, special skills, etc in the editor ?

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 30 Aug 2006, 18:35

Looks like we'll get a 'not quite finished' map editor... Seeing as the add-on will provide us with an ímproved' version.
Grah!

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 31 Aug 2006, 20:13

"Cutscenes

If you have played the HoMM5 campaign, you might have seen many script-based movies. In the Objects tab, you can also see some objects that are designed for designing the script-based movies’ arenas. But creating script-based movies is not a process intended for an unprepared user. That is why this manual does not include any description of such work."

Now, that's rich.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 20:21

So,the famos manual creating skills of nival return :devil:

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”