HOMM 5 Multiplayer maps

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

HOMM 5 Multiplayer maps

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 22 Feb 2015, 14:10

1. If you create a multiplayer map and write scripts for it, and then play it as a single player map in the game will the scripts work?

I tried to convert multiplayer map I've made into singlemissions via unzipping and renaming the folder but it just tells me the new map is corrupted no matter how many times I try... So this type of conversion doesn't work.

2. Has anybody tried to covert maps like that and has anybody had their map actually converted?

3. What is the difference between map scripts and combat scripts? I read that only map scripts could be run in multiplayer maps (don't know if that is meant only multiplayer maps played as multiplayer or multyplayer maps played even as a single player. Can someone clarify this?

4. I wanted to write some scripts (which I am not goo at) for adding quests, text boxes with different info on the buildings than what they actually are, for adding or subtracting army from a hero when he enters a region, etc... will this work in multiplayer map played as a single player?

Thanks in advance

magnomagus
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby magnomagus » 22 Feb 2015, 17:45

Hi,

Since Toe multiplayer maps and rmg maps can run scripts, i think you just need to activate the console and debug your script?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 12 May 2015, 10:40

Milos Gajic have you taken your map and used 7zip to change it from MP to SP? Fyi, I've read for years that Scripts work best in SP and many will not run correctly in MP if at all.

As far as the Editor debug...it is not dependable. Verifying in game is the only certain check.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Yeah I did that a while ago and...

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 12 May 2015, 14:25

markkur wrote:have you taken your map and used 7zip ...
I did that a while ago and I succeeded in creating single player map, debugger works fine (when it does :) ). I have made great progress with my map - I made like 20 working quests (objectives) that work, I figured out how to write time depending quests (in X days fails), I created custom objects, both interactable and static... There's lot more to learn and I am doing it bit by bit on my own (mostly) and with the help of some older posts from here.

Now I'm stuck with preventing random creature weeks from occurring. I don't know how to do it, I asked some people but it seems that it's not possible to manipulate types of weeks, so I'm trying to find a way around it.

Etc.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Re: Yeah I did that a while ago and...

Unread postby markkur » 25 May 2015, 10:51

Milos Gajic wrote:...There's lot more to learn and I am doing it bit by bit on my own (mostly) and with the help of some older posts from here.

Now I'm stuck with preventing random creature weeks from occurring. I don't know how to do it, I asked some people but it seems that it's not possible to manipulate types of weeks, so I'm trying to find a way around it.
I'm moving rather slow these days. Anyway, about working alone; that happened to me at the forums 5 years ago, so I know how hard it is to learn the more difficult H5 Editor. When I began learning H5 mapmaking there were a few that "thought it a waste" but it was a great ride any many ways.

I really Just logged-on to say; Good job...you are progressing well.

About the Weeks, Quantomas in his "J" was able to change the number of creatures generated...you might investigate that.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 26 May 2015, 18:39

markkur wrote: I really Just logged-on to say; Good job...you are progressing well.
Thanks
markkur wrote: About the Weeks, Quantomas in his "J" was able to change the number of creatures generated...you might investigate that.
I found out how to do this. It was actually very easy - there was a box in the editor that should be checked as false or something like that. Pitsu helped with that.

Do you know is there a way to change textures of an object, or a character, or a hero (whatever) but to affect only that character/object/hero?

I tried and I hought I suceeded in doing this by altering the texture of one of the models of the creature (there are usualy two) that doesn't have LOD in their name. For example, I copied a texture of an iron golem over the texture of Flame Lord (Thane) to make it look like a statue. And when I placed another of those creatures on the map it wasn't affected by texture change, YET when I started the map and entered a battle with said creature the texture was changed. So it appears that by changing the LOD model texture you alter the adventure map appearance and by changing the other model texture you alter how the creature looks during battles.

Now this is not that big of a problem since I can just leave those types of creatures from my map and use them just as static objects, but I was planing on making a map that wouldn't alter other maps in the folder and thus spoil them. And that will happen if I upload my map on maps4heroes or here for download.

Also to note what many other have noted:

The editor and the in game console are far too touchy on the matter of capital letters and misspelings - which is good, but it would also be good that they made the debugging process a bit more easy. Instead of debugger saying last read ")" in the line 1234 it should have be able to highlight the misspeled word or something.
Also, sometimes the debugger (in game) doesn't return errors but errors still exist which is frustrating.
Last time I spent two days tracking an error I made (which turned up to be a spelling error - I shifted the position of two letters in the name of the function but left it right in the trigger), and the worst thing is I couldn't find it so I had to copy entire script into a notepad, then delete those parts of the script that worked and leave only 'suspicious' functions. And only then the console returned an error and I was able to fix it.

I remembered another thing to ask:
-Should I or shouldn't I place all of the threads I have writen for my script under one thread or leave it separate? Is there a plus side to any of those choices? Also, when placing NEW DAY triggers and functions, should I unite them all under one function or write them separately?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 27 May 2015, 11:03

Milos Gajic wrote: Do you know is there a way to change textures of an object, or a character, or a hero (whatever) but to affect only that character/object/hero?
I'm no Guru but as I recall, folks would just copy said folder and rename it, if they wanted zero headaches. iirc, it's when people kept the original file name that every instance is affected. Some guys didn't care because they were only interested in one map. It was when they shared that map with others that games got messy. I remember someone put WYngaal on a green dragon and I got that map. Since I was new to the game I didn't know the maps folder is like a soup and the more you add the more comes into play according to the last thing added. So I was like wth? Why is Wyngaal always on a Dragon now. Then came Hrunting. <L>

Milos Gajic wrote: Now this is not that big of a problem since I can just leave those types of creatures from my map and use them just as static objects, but I was planing on making a map that wouldn't alter other maps in the folder and thus spoil them. And that will happen if I upload my map on maps4heroes or here for download.
I just had a Deja Vu. A very, very recent one. <S> (decided to read and answer)

Milos Gajic wrote: Also, sometimes the debugger (in game) doesn't return errors but errors still exist which is frustrating.
Yeah, been lots of complaints on that. No way to be sure but play/test. By just working with maps I soon discovered the file structure of this game could not be any worse; well, and still work. What the fans got in the way of an Editor was NOT a fan-editor but what Nival had thrown-together in-house to finish the game. Take ambient lighting for example, there are not names for the lights but files that have little rhyme or reason. Some of my favorites have test in the tree. :D Another example is the spelling of names or the names themselves. How a checker of any sort could accurately navigate the quagmire is beyond me. And I don't script.

Milos Gajic wrote:Last time I spent two days tracking an error I made (which turned up to be a spelling error - I shifted the position of two letters in the name of the function but left it right in the trigger), and the worst thing is I couldn't find it so I had to copy entire script into a notepad, then delete those parts of the script that worked and leave only 'suspicious' fun ctions. And only then the console returned an error and I was able to fix it.
Clever and resourceful you are.

Milos Gajic wrote:I remembered another thing to ask:
-Should I or shouldn't I place all of the threads I have writen for my script under one thread or leave it separate? Is there a plus side to any of those choices? Also, when placing NEW DAY triggers and functions, should I unite them all under one function or write them separately?

Did you ask Pitsu? I could only guess so I won't.

I'll ask you something. how does a guy get the full up and down "surface-screens" that I see at map4heroes? Is that a console function? I can get screens in the editor but not those complete level shots.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 27 May 2015, 15:32

markkur wrote:I'll ask you something. how does a guy get the full up and down "surface-screens" that I see at map4heroes? Is that a console function? I can get screens in the editor but not those complete level shots.
You mean the screen shot of the whole map? If that, then I don't know, but when I uploaded few of my maps (that had no scripts and were just simple kill em all or based on real geographic regions - since I have masters degree in geography :D ) and if those maps were not impossible sized the screen shot always appeared showing full map. But when I uploaded my 'Balkan' map which was impossible sizedm if I recall well, the screen shot only showed the central region. And again, it is them that make those screen shots not me, and I don't know how they do it.
markkur wrote:I'm no Guru but as I recall, folks would just copy said folder and rename it, if they wanted zero headaches
What exactly do you mean by this 'copy said folder'? Which folder? Folder with the object, the model, the texture, all of them...?

What I did was create new object - for static objects put academy arena stuff and then 'new', etc, etc,... and for active object I'd put Star Axis or Idol of Fortune and do the same. So in any case, I modified only that object in its newly created folder and in all other cases except texture modifying nothing else was affected - only those object that I was modifying. But with textures it's not the same. Idk if it's meant to be that way or am I doing something wrong but the texture change affects all of the objects either on the adventure map or during the combat.

Also, if you still play H5 try some of my maps at Maps4Heroes, I recomend And The Test Is Upon You (for two human players), Balkan (for multiplayer), Fallen Angel (single player)... those are my best maps; East Thrace (another geographic map), Ecuador (for multiplayer, also geographic)... - these look good but are not anything to brag about and the rest of the maps under my name are early works and are really bad.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 28 May 2015, 10:35

I remembered another thing to ask:

Did you ask Pitsu? I could only guess so I won't.

I have no good answer. Think how do you find it easier to keep your script ordered and how it is more comfortable to debug for you. With new day event i see no general reason why one complex function or several less complex should be preferred. With threads I would have them running as few as possible. So if there is a possibility to replace a thread with other timed or placed event, i'd go this way. Multiple threads in parallel are probably more likely to cause lags in weaker computers, but if you can start the threads at separate times it may be more economic to have them separated. And you always can play with the sleep parameter in threads.
So, in conclusion, do as it work better for you :)

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 28 May 2015, 11:22

Pitsu wrote: I have no good answer.
That was a good one in my book. :D
Milos Gajic wrote:What exactly do you mean by this 'copy said folder'? Which folder? Folder with the object, the model, the texture, all of them...?
Why not do the easy test first and just copy the main folder and rename it. If I understand file structures, (and I'm not saying I do in this game) but I can't see how there could be a clash or override if you use a name that the game will never call. I'm just using logic so it may not apply.
:D

Again using logic, if that new file changes originals anywhere, than I'd "Guess" each file in your new file-tree would need to point-to the new Hero name. Since you already probably know every file-instance for existing Heroes, I'd just make a checklist of those and comply with the same distribution of all needed files for your new hero. But hopefully you can just call the main-folder/s something new and everything works w/o conflict.

You know since Haven has by far the most Heroes I think I would use "Red-Haven" (or Heaven? in the files) Heroes for any research. And then make a Sylvan since there are so few and you should not bump into any ceiling-limit. <LOL>

I am an expert at knowing nothing. Good luck.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 01 Jun 2015, 13:20

Pitsu wrote:Multiple threads in parallel are probably more likely to cause lags in weaker computers, but if you can start the threads at separate times it may be more economic to have them separated. And you always can play with the sleep parameter in threads.
That's exactly why I asked! I have a computer that's at least 10 yrs old and sometimes the game lags too much so I put greater sleep values in the threads. Also I am not sure how to write the code for the script other then "while 1 do", I tried once something like "while X == 5 do" where X is a global variable but it didn't work for some reason so I never tried it again. I'd apreciate some help for writing those threads that only run for a given time :) .

I have several threads in my script, one of them, for example, checks if hero has certain type of army and transforms it into another type imediately. For that thread I couldn't put sleep value to be very high so that when hero obtains army (usualy by means of necromancy) those creatures are almost imediately transformed.

And for new day triggers, I have one function writen for an objective that runs every day until certain parameters are fullfiled and for that time my game lags a lot, and I think that it would lag on any computer and this is why:

MAP SPOILERS
-The objective concerns a mage requesting wolf cubs to be delivered to him from the hero player controls
-Hero in his searching for the wolf den and the cubs runs into some characters that tell him the wolves have a certain pattern and that hero should use peasants corpse to lure the cubs out of the den while mother wolf is away hunting.
-Without this hint player will probably be unable to solve this objective correctly
-Player takes the peasants corpse (which location he already knows) and then has a choice to place it closer or further from the den.
-But this choice matters only if player observed the pattern of the wolves behavior!
MAJOR MAP SPOILERS
-The wolves behavior is such that on a given day mother wolf goes away hunting and an animation is played for that every such day (for example every monday) until the objective is either failed or completed. Every next day she returns to the cubs, and on another day of the week she is apparently absent from the den but is actualy in the den.

-Now while these animations of mother wolf appearing and disapearing (walking away and coming) are being played, player cannot do anything and the game appears to lag.

This is not practical nor pretty but it serves a purpose and gives a certain difficulty to the objective.

Pitsu wrote:So, in conclusion, do as it work better for you
What is better for me is one thing since my computer is 10yrs old, the other thing entirely is what's best for those who will play the map (other than me). Will those big sleep values affect their gameplay or not and so on...

markkur wrote:Why not do the easy test first and just copy the main folder and rename it. If I understand file structures, (and I'm not saying I do in this game) but I can't see how there could be a clash or override if you use a name that the game will never call. I'm just using logic so it may not apply.
I was away from my computer for a few days so I haven't tryed this, I will in coming days and will report what happened :).
markkur wrote:I am an expert at knowing nothing. Good luck.
That's me, too, but trial and error does wonders.

Cheers!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 04 Jun 2015, 06:13

Milos Gajic wrote: Also I am not sure how to write the code for the script other then "while 1 do", I tried once something like "while X == 5 do" where X is a global variable but it didn't work for some reason so I never tried it again. I'd apreciate some help for writing those threads that only run for a given time :) .
I have not tried global variables (my map editor crashes at least half of the times i open it), but for instance "while GetDate(DAY_OF_WEEK) == 3 do" would make the thread to run only on 3rd day of every week. The start of a thread can be triggered in a new day or placed event so it is not taking memory before the time is right or the player reaches certain location. A thread that is not needed for the entire duration of game can be stopped (at least in theory) by the while...do condition.
I have several threads in my script, one of them, for example, checks if hero has certain type of army and transforms it into another type imediately.
This may be tricky to do economically, especially if it has to apply to all creatures not only a few types. You are making a Tribes of the East map right? I will try some day.
And for new day triggers, I have one function writen for an objective that runs every day until certain parameters are fullfiled and for that time my game lags a lot, and I think that it would lag on any computer and this is why:
I am not very familiar with cutscenes or animation manipulations, maybe there is some memory leaks with those, but otherwise new day triggers should not cause any lags AFAIK.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 04 Jun 2015, 07:44

Pitsu wrote: I have not tried global variables (my map editor crashes at least half of the times i open it), but for instance "while GetDate(DAY_OF_WEEK) == 3 do" would make the thread to run only on 3rd day of every week.
Well this doesn't work for me, I wanted to write a thread that will work only while certain objective is active, or until it's complete (not the same in the editor). So maybe it could be writen like this:

while GetObjectiveState("objective1") == 2 do

but I am not sure if that makes any difference in comparison to if X == 5 I mentioned earlier.
Pitsu wrote:This may be tricky to do economically, especially if it has to apply to all creatures not only a few types. You are making a Tribes of the East map right? I will try some day.
Well this works well for me, there's a little lag when the actual conversion takes place but it's very minute even on my computer. And no, I am not converting all of the creatures, only one race into one type of creature. So 1st level monster, 2nd level, 3rd, and so on get changed into a given monster type.

Yes it is TOTE map, but with 3.0 editor, I wanted to downlad the 3.1 or whichever is latest but I already started making this map so I didn't know if anything would happen to what I already did and because of that I just wen't on with 3.0.

Don't know what you meant by "I will try some day", if you meant to write monster changing function then I can send you mine.
Pitsu wrote:I am not very familiar with cutscenes or animation manipulations, maybe there is some memory leaks with those, but otherwise new day triggers should not cause any lags AFAIK.
Lol, not cutscenes. When you click on animation of any creature or object in the editor (that has an animation) there are several kinds of animation, idle00, attack00, hit, death, move, and so on. I just changed my custom object to have (on certain days) move animation playing as ONESHOT_STILL (meaning plays only once and then freezes) and after that I added the line SetObjectPosition("objectX", x, y); so that it looks like the creature has run away. (The wolf starts moving and before it's animation freezes it is transported to anothrer secluded position on the map thus making it look like it disappeared into the woods or so).

The map lags because when the function is triggered (every day after the coresponding objective is set to active) those animations (wolf runing away, wolf returning, wolf getting in the den, etc) have to be played and those objects have to be moved around. IDK, maybe it's because of my centuries old computer or something...

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

markkur was very busy

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 04 Jun 2015, 07:57

By the way markkur was very busy these days, I checked maps4heroes.com and he's got like 20 maps that I think are new. And he's most downloaded so far, so NICE WORK markkur!!!

Oh, and Pitsu, you're Estonian? I checked under your name on maps4heroes and there's only Ruins in the desert map, then I saw Estonia under your name. Always thought you were from West Europe...

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Map corrupted during the game, how?

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 05 Jun 2015, 18:57

I was making a multiplayer map in parallel with this singleplayer map that I ask questions here for. I almost finished it and during the testing the game froze, I had to restart my computer, and when I tried to open that map with the editor after the restart it said it was corrupted.

Has this happened to any of you? I knew that map could get corrupted if it's opened in the editor and power goes out, but for a map to get corrupted during playing!!! I've never seen that nor heard about such case.

I played it for about a month (in game time, lol) and then it just froze during army hiring in a dwarven town, now the map can't be opened with the editor nor is it appearing in the map list when I start the game.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to repair the file or something.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 05 Jun 2015, 19:50

It doesn't help anymore, but one should always make backup copies... I do not have experiences with crashed maps, so i am of limited help. Perhaps you can try to open the file with zip archiver and see whether you get access to at least some of the files? As far as i remember the map is in fact an XML type text file.
Well this doesn't work for me, I wanted to write a thread that will work only while certain objective is active, or until it's complete
The following script (starts at day 3 and ends at day) worked for me, but I realized that maybe if you have several functions going in parallel they start to hinder each other.

Code: Select all

skells = 0
function montrans()
	while GetObjectiveState("Obj1",PLAYER_1)==OBJECTIVE_ACTIVE do
		skells = GetHeroCreatures("Astral",29)
			if skells >= 1 then
			RemoveHeroCreatures("Astral", 29, skells)
			AddHeroCreatures("Astral", 113, skells)
			end;
		sleep(5)
	end;
end;
Trigger(NEW_DAY_TRIGGER,"tue")
function tue()
	if GetDate(DAY)==3 then
		startThread(montrans) 
	end;
	if GetDate(DAY)==14 then
		SetObjectiveState("Obj1", OBJECTIVE_COMPLETED, PLAYER_1)
	end;
end;

Oh, and Pitsu, you're Estonian? I checked under your name on maps4heroes and there's only Ruins in the desert map, then I saw Estonia under your name. Always thought you were from West Europe...
Estonian, male, 37 years old. I have done very few maps and too lazy to ever updated them. :? Ruins in desert map was in fact editor beta-testing result. When H5 was developed I had access to some closed beta events and could also test the editor. Not everything on the map works anymore as intended or as it worked in the very first game version.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 06 Jun 2015, 08:49

Pitsu wrote:It doesn't help anymore, but one should always make backup copies... I do not have experiences with crashed maps, so i am of limited help. Perhaps you can try to open the file with zip archiver and see whether you get access to at least some of the files? As far as i remember the map is in fact an XML type text file.
When I try opening it with 7zip or winrar it opens it without trouble and I see the file structure present, but when I try to extract it it reports 4 errors:

1. E:\Ubisoft\HOMMVTOTE\Maps\MultiplayerMap.h5m

(I don't see why the path to the file is reported as an error...)

2. Headers Error, Unconfirmed start of archive

3. Warnings: There are some data after the end of the payload data

4. CRC failed: Maps\Multiplayer\MultiplayerMap\windcust\housedesc.txt

(this is the path to the txt description file of a custom object, and I am not sure why is it an error)

EDIT:
Ok I extracted and tried to open this housedesc.txt file and it appears to be corrupted. Don't know why though but it doesn't matter. What matters is how can I remove this file from the archive (h5m file) without extracting and repacking (since when I do that editor just crashes and refuses to open the new h5m file). I tried opening the archive with 7zip but it won't allow me to delete this file or rename it or anything actually.

It occured to me to copy the files from within this map into a new of the same size but I don't know if it would work.

EDIT:
This doesn't work, since to be able to this I'd have to extract the archive and repack it with new files and that appears to not work.

If you have any idea of what could be tried and done I could e-mail you the map file (since I am not an expert in manipulating the map structure files).

-------------
-------------

EDIT2:

I fixed it!!!

So for anyone with the same problem:

1. I opened the .h5m archive with 7zip and clicked test, it showed the said .txt file that was corrupted.

2. I rightclicked on .h5m file and opened it with winrar, then wen't back one step and clicked on the archive and then repair in winrar.

3. First time I tried with repair as RAR file (one of the two options) and it said it was repaired but it wasn't. My editor stopped responding when I tried to open the new file.

4. I tried then again but wit repair as ZIP file, and still the result was a failure - I opened the new file with 7zip and tested it and it reported corruption

5. Finally I tried again the RAR option and I don't know why or how but this time it worked. 7zip reported no corruption, I then found the file that caused problems and deleted it. Map editor now opens my map (new repaired file), the relief is there, objects, some scripts, etc etc. Didn't playtested it yet but I think it's all ok. And for that file I deleted I just made a new one with diferent name and text within it.

------------
------------
The following script (starts at day 3 and ends at day) worked for me, but I realized that maybe if you have several functions going in parallel they start to hinder each other.
I'll try this.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Re: markkur was very busy

Unread postby markkur » 08 Jun 2015, 13:53

Milos Gajic wrote:By the way markkur was very busy these days, I checked maps4heroes.com and he's got like 20 maps that I think are new. And he's most downloaded so far, so NICE WORK markkur!!!
Well, TY but it was a morning's work. I am retired now. Like you, I came to H5 when the brave few (like Pitsu, Franzy, Rdeford and others) had already moved on. So I became an expert at landscape.<LOL>

Since I did not know scripting and the community was pretty dead I remained within a single avenue of thought. I approached making a map in the mode of play and design, play and design. One of my favorite features of a good HoMM game was the simplicity of letting the factions do there thing and to set down no hoops or hurdles. Don't get me wrong, I love that stuff but mostly see them as a campaign consideration. Basically I just wanted the battles and then to impact strategies by the layout of the land, what was available etc. Nothing grand.

Where I did go Grand-investing was in crafting the terrains.

As for my uploading maps now; I never did before (as Kalah probably recalls) was because I had a self-imposed ban on distributing my efforts until I knew what would happen with EE. Right or wrong. I considered my "strong-suit" to be the detailed terrain and atmospheres that I gave most every map I created and therefore "might" be a plus to any effort Q made.

Well, that site went down and after being contacted a few times, for posterity I thought I should put them at the spot where most folks go for an HoMM map. I know I did. So, in part it was also in payment for the service rendered to me. :)

About corruption. In no order and off the top of my head. Could be from the middle...not sure. <sly-grin>

1. I always kept all folders empty except for the map in question, whether game or editor. (Saves too)

This also meant the "HoMM Mod folder" inside the Editor. You probably know this but every time you open the Editor it will create a new folder for that map. So, I deleted it every time, so when I came back a "new folder" would be created. This move stopped a lot of weird things from happening to my work. Like coming back and finding the last session was not saved etc.

2. Another thing I think important is to make a back-up of the game (fresh install w/ needed updates is best) Because, any time I saw anything strange happen while working with the editor. I deleted the Editor and pasted from the Back-up. Of course, this works for the game too.

3. Every game map was duplicated and if a editor-map...triplicated. Protecting the protection is a fundamental safety measure, not the madness of a nutcase.<S>

H5 is one leaky-faucet but these measures prevented many corruptions and erased any problem.

About gaming, if you're not doing this, I'd start. If you want to reload, never go to the main screen, always exit entirely and restart. Then you can get back to the last save that is not corrupted and get going again. Ofc, CTD's are their own monster. But that is <imo> "generally a memory issue" A problem that occurred more often as I made larger and larger maps, 1.5 MB etc.

Make it great!

ps...Since I've been all sentimental in this post...about my "Make it great"; here in the States, it became a fad to say "have a nice day" After being abused <LOL> by that powerful sentiment, as if anyone else was going to be fueled by the idea of handing markkur a nice day. I decided maybe I'd start saying what we should be doing ourselves. Instead of my waiting for something nice to fall into my lap, that maybe I should set out to create good things and improve my chances of making a good day. :D

Dang it! pss...I keep forgetting to type; Anyone that enjoys my efforts, can use those maps for any purpose. Few of the maps had the "team-effort" I desired, so if it comes along later...that's good too.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 08 Jun 2015, 16:26

markkur wrote:About corruption.
I fixed my corrupted map!
It is uploaded here for maptesting but I sent two versions, the first had a bug and I don't know if staff uploaded the other one I had sent. If you want to try it and tell me your opinion download it on maps4heroes - it is called Something different, because as you will notice there are some things that differ so much from the original game (talking about objects) so if you want to try it go ahead. Just one thing, it is meant to be played by 4 human players since AI can't understand the meaning of some scripted objects and never visits them. So if you download it and don't have someone to play with at the moment start it in a way that you control all of the players just to see the map design and when you are able to play it with some friends you can try it that way too.

Regarding the texture changing topic we discused before - I tried copying entire folders and ended up not being able to do anything different again. IDK, maybe I did something wrong because I really don't understand (maybe I'm stupid lol) which folder to copy and where to copy it exactly. Either way, when I copied the objects folder in the editor from the main tree into my map section and tried editing the texture it still afected every object of the same type, so I gave up on that and decided to make object the old way - they affect the game - so what, I'll put a disclaimer that will notify the players about it and that they need to remove it from map folder when they want to play another map.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jun 2015, 17:02

Milos Gajic wrote:I sent two versions, the first had a bug and I don't know if staff uploaded the other one I had sent.
I did. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”