HOMM 5 map conversion

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

HOMM 5 map conversion

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 18 Feb 2015, 21:36

Hi,
I'm new to this site and I'm here searching for an answer, if there is no such answer I'll kill myself smile

So
I've been making this impossible sized map for days now, building relief, adding structures, heroes, vegetation, etc, etc... and after that I decided to try to write some scripts into the map but then I found out that I forgot to check 'Single Player' box when I started making it and scripts can only be written/run in Single Player maps. The question is: is there a way to convert Multiplayer map into a Single player map?

If I have to start over from scratch I'll throw my computer out of the window smile

Thanks in advance

Maciek
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Maciek » 19 Feb 2015, 11:03

Hi, try unpacking your map with winrar/winzip/7zip/tar or something similar, then rename Maps/Multiplayer to Maps/SingleMissions and repack.
As far as I remember, that's all you need to do to convert your map from multiplayer to singleplayer.

Oh, and remember to make backup copies of your map. I've heard h5 maps sometimes get corrupted and you'll want to have an earlier version of your map to go back to in case that happens.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

I tried that

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 21 Feb 2015, 10:26

I tried that but when I packed it up again and changed to .h5m and tried to open it with the editor it returned a message that it was corrupted and /or wrongly installed. I have a backup file of the map and I'll try again but I don't think it'll work.

Another question: If I write scripts in a multiplayer map and then play it as single player map in the game would those scripts be run or not? Does it matter how the map is played or how it was made?

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 23 Feb 2015, 13:49

Not been active mapmaker for very long, but a fast test suggested that it should work. Are you sure that you are not compressing it to a wrong format? IIRC it must be zip archive. If your computer is hidding file name extensions, that may be a problem too. But 7-zip and possibly other programs allow you to open the map without any renaming or unpacking of the original file. Edit Multiplayer catalogue name inside the file to "SingleMissions" (check spelling!), close archiver, and try to open in editor.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

I'm not that kind of rookey

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 26 Feb 2015, 07:23

My computer IS hiding the extensions;
I click on 'show known extensions' in folders menu;
It shows that all the maps are .h5m format, I change it to .rar or .zip format - it doesn't matter
Then I open it with WinRar and extract it somewhere
I open the folders that have been created by previous action and rename the Multiplayer folder into SingleMissions
I select the folder and rar it again to get .rar file which has the same structure as the previous one with only the name changed
I replace .rar extension with .h5m extension
I try to open it with editor and it says it's corrupt, or wrong format or in wrong folder and it's neither of that except maybe corrupt by the process

Don't know, maybe it works from single to multiplayer, haven't tried that but for me this doesn't work.

You may check it yourself, make a backup copy of some MP map and try to convert it like this and tell me the what happened.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 26 Feb 2015, 17:15

There are different compression options for rar and zip files. H5 editor requires these to be in its own specific way. What you may try is to right-click on the h5m and choose "open with..." and select winrar or winzip or whatever archiver utility you have. (You may even have direct link to it under right click and not needing the "open with" part). Change the directory name directly in the archive explorer that opens. Do not unpack/repack anything. Close the archiver and try to open the map in editor or game. Works nicely for me.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

This did it but not at first

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 02 Mar 2015, 10:31

Pitsu wrote:What you may try is to right-click on the h5m and choose "open with..."
I tried this with winrar but there was no rename option in my version, so I downloaded 7zip ad it worked. As you said the .h5m file had been linked with 7zip even without "open with".

Thank you for this! Now, if I could do scripts as good as I can do cartography :)

I'll try to find some tutorials or manuals or whatever (I'm not looking for something complicated), if I can't find that I'll be sure to check this site again...

Maybe even you can help me :D

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 02 Mar 2015, 12:54

If you need help with getting started with scripting then there is "The Basics of Heroes V Scripting ver. 2.01 for H5, HOF, & ToTE" on our downloads page, if you haven´t noticed already.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”