H5 - "Object & Crag intersection" error

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Tyber Zann
Peasant
Peasant

H5 - "Object & Crag intersection" error

Unread postby Tyber Zann » 09 Sep 2013, 19:14

I'm sure many people have seen this when making a Heroes 5 map. When saving/using the check map function, I see several notifications saying

"Object & Crag intersection (#,#) (location of intersection)

Basically, iv got a few of these and can't seem to fix them.

The locations of these intersections are where all the garrisons are on my map. Where the garrison meets an adjacent wall or terrain obstacle. Some garrisons can meet their adjacent wall without overlap, but others, such as the dwarven garrison, must overlap to visually connect to its walls. I'm guessing the error refers to objects intersecting one another. Like, part of the wall is on the same tile as part of the garrison.

I always use the grid to check my object placement. Using the "obstacle" grid as well, the one that shows you red squares covering blocked tiles and green squares over objects activation spots (the tile u must step on to use the object).

Iv made this entire map from scratch, no random map, no imported sections, nothing. Iv placed everything myself and double checked all the squares. Each base on this map has one entrance guarded by an empty garrison, and the garrisons overlap their adjacent walls by one square, because it looks better (otherwise there's a distinct gap between the gate and the wall). Iv tested them by running through each one in game, and they all work as a garrison should, yet, the map editor still tells me

"Object & Crag intersection (#-#)"

So, I'm wondering if this warning will impact the performance of the map, and if so, how to fix it without having big gaps in all the base entrance walls.

As iv said, the garrisons work, its just technically flawed because the walls overlap the garrisons.

Will this make my map unnacceptable for online use / disqualify it from sites or tournaments or any thing else?

If anyone knows anything about the details of this
Object & intersection message I would appreciate anything u can tell me, for myself, and anyone else struggling to solve this issue.

Thank you for reading.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 10 Sep 2013, 18:28

The thing to watch for is how the "base" of an Object...looks. i.e. if a "corner of an object, overlaps that spot (or even another object or terrain object); it will look bad. Also. that error message will show when no objects are placed yet. Fyi, I will not see any of those errors...if I create the land "without using the "raise" brush/tool". I usually go "bulk" all the way to whatever z-height and then will "plateau" from my different heights to take it around the map.

Tyber Zann
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tyber Zann » 12 Sep 2013, 00:18

To quote Will Smith, "Aaah, hell na!"

The map is flat, no hills or elevation, but, there are cliffs. In a few different places, and water, and an underground, all of which I created with "raise/lower" functions. The cliffs all look proper, but I guess there's a few objects touching the base of the cliffs.

I also thought it was odd because I used mountains and forest chunks to wall off most of the bases (a couple have actual walls, and a couple r underground). Most of the mountains overlap each other to create a tight fit, and the map checker didn't care at all. But, it doesn't like a garrison nestled between 2 sides of a cliff. Looks like ill have some tinkering to do.

Thanks again man. Iv got all the essential buildings and terrain put down. I'm currently in the creature/treasure/artifact placing phase, then after some decorating itll be about finished. Of coarse then comes testing (beyond the simple tests iv done, I actually gotta beat the map and make sure each base is functional and accessible).

If u want a copy of the map as it is now, just terrain, towns, and essential buildings, let me know. Ud probly be able.to spot flaws faster than me. (When I first tested the haven base there was a big gap in the walls I missed. That would have been bad)

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 12 Sep 2013, 15:10

Tyber Zann wrote:If u want a copy of the map as it is now, just terrain, towns, and essential buildings, let me know. Ud probly be able.to spot flaws faster than me. (When I first tested the haven base there was a big gap in the walls I missed. That would have been bad)
I'd be happy to assist you. In RL I audited many times, so I know that the old adage is true; "two heads are better than one" or in this case "four eyes are better than two"<L>

Send it to me when you are "finished."

I would also suggest asking Kalah to put your map up for "testing" here at CH. A very good idea since even "four eyes" can miss things. It could also be good for comments about more than passability.

Tyber Zann
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tyber Zann » 13 Sep 2013, 14:30

Excellent. Yeah, if people have suggestions for the bases or neutral ground in between that'd be good. Im putting quite a few guarded treasures n such, dragon utopia, that kinda thing. If people want more, I can put more, just trying to keep it mostly even.
Thanks again

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”