Unleashing the bloodthirsty

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unleashing the bloodthirsty

Unread postby Artas1984 » 28 Feb 2013, 13:57

You wana talk about one of most sophisticated maps that Heroes 3 has got - you can not miss this map! I absolutely admire the long planing and dedication of the author in this map. I very rarely play campaign or single player maps, so when i do, i expect these maps not wasting my time, and i was lucky to try out this map. It's a bit too linear, there is not much freedom of movement, that's why i give it 9/10, but other than that the map surely has surpassed my expectations and took me to a new level of understanding strategy.

But i am not here to talk about how good or bad it is. I have a problem with computer getting stuck and doing nothing!

Actually i have beaten this map by defending my keep against that warlock Geon and his legions of dragons and getting the orb of inhibition into the town. But then i thought that i do not want to finish the game like this... What i really wanted to do is to beat the orange dungeon AI which had by far the biggest army! I did not even get the grail!

So, the orange AI (dungeon) get's stuck at some point (month 20+) and the game crashes. Anyone else on this?
Heroes franchise was not about the free actions of Heroes or monsters, it was not about 3D of shiny graphics either, it was about diversity and balance, simplicity of gameplay and realistic picture, strategy in it's purest form. That's why Heroes 3 will be the greatest game of all, because only Heroes 3 has all those qualities together, no matter which one you personally like more. This statement is unquestionable, uncriticized and undeniable .

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 02 Mar 2013, 13:27

Most maps are not made with no time limit in mind, therefore if you hang too long, game will freeze for various reasons, one of them being AI resources going into negative after reaching the limit. Unleashing should be done before this happens, probably earlier than 12th month, to be bug-free. It is a common issue.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”