HoMM6 Map Editor Post

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
malgor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM6 Map Editor Post

Unread postby malgor » 14 Oct 2011, 02:51

Figured I would start an HoMM6 map editor post.

Right now as of the first day in the USA after digital downloads went live (those that bought it in the store have had it since the 11th) there is no manual for the map editor which is hidden in your ubisoft/homm6 folder and simply called "editor".

I fooled around with it for about an hour and gave up. It's pretty complicated since you don't know what all the features do and I couldn't get it to do something simple such as tilt the map so it was laying flat so I could look at it from above.

Seems like it will be powerful once people get used to how to use the editor. Unlike when SC2 came out and there were maps the made and up the first few hours after it went live, this one will take awhile before we get some results and maps from users.

Post what you discover and please post if someone finds a manual somewhere!

Thanks,

Mal

ZanBon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ZanBon » 15 Oct 2011, 21:48

Yeap, totally agree.
The editor seems so bufling to me right now, a manual would come in handy.
Once we get to it though, legendary maps will be created :D

Happy mapmaking mapmakers!

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 21 Oct 2011, 14:57

Camera functions are confusing as heck, but they are there.

Pushing 'C' or clicking the 'Zoom factor' in the bottom left corner should give you standard RTS camera. From that point on, you can scroll and move as you were used to in the previous editors, it's just that all these functions have different hotkeys. Check the bottom right corner - there's a 6 of six buttons there that allow you to perform all camera functions. Hovering over a button will give you the hotkey, and that should allow you to turn, zoom and scroll around.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Oct 2011, 16:22

Search the forum, there's first part of official manual posted by Marzhin.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 22 Oct 2011, 00:11

It just gave me bad déjà vu, reminding me of H5 Map Editor. Steep learning curve and interface seems very clumsy. I don't expect lot of excellent maps from this. And those few we get, are likely more like mods than maps, making them very awkward.

Nothing like editors in H2-H4. Learning curve is worse than for Ms Access.

But those are just my first impressions.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Oct 2011, 08:09

Published here by Marzhin.

Direct link to download Editor_Quickstart_Guide.pdf
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”