HoMM3 won't find my map.

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
WarlordChampion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM3 won't find my map.

Unread postby WarlordChampion » 23 Jul 2011, 14:33

Here's the deal. I have made a map for HoMM3. I saved it in the Map folder. But when I try to play the map. I can't find it. It isn't there, it isn't among the other maps. I am certain it has been a topic here before, so a link would be great. This forum is huge so I doesn't manage to find it. When I load my map, it got a padlock as sign, but the other maps do not. When I loaded and resaved another map (one of the original HoMM3 maps), it got a padlock too and I couldn't play it either, even though I only resaved It. Can someone Help me? I am not a User here, maybe after today i will become one, i needed to become one, so now I am, but plz contact me on blaalb321@gmail.com.

Sry for my not so good english and repeating myself a lot. Hope someone is kind enough too help me.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Sep 2011, 05:11

(Maybe a little late for you, but...)

Yeah I just had (and solved) this problem myself. Has to do with Windows Vista/7. If your game folder is in the Program Files directory, any file you save with the editor (i.e., map files) aren't actually saved in the Program Files directory. They're stored in a hidden, impossible-to-find virtual directory elsewhere on your drive. This is a security "feature" of Windows to prevent you from saving bad files in the Program Files directory and screwing up windows. Though you've got to wonder what the value is in a system that completely destroys any semblance of logical file and directory structure.

Anyway, you can find your files by clicking on the little "Compatibility Files" tab that's very easy to miss. I have a figure showing where it is located here:

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=36151

Of course, that doesn't tell you where the file actually IS, mind you. But you CAN access it that way.

As to a fix, what suggest is to copy your map files (after clicking on "compatibility files" in the map directory) into a separate directory whose location you know and which is NOT in the program files directory (or doing it through the editor by SAVING AS a new file name). E.g., the desktop was a good temporary place for me.

Then I suggest moving the whole 3DO folder, with H3, into a directory that is NOT in the Program Files directory (this still seems to do some strange things with the directory structure as viewed from inside the editor, because W7 doesn't like you to move stuff out of Program File, either). Then move your copied maps into the new H3 directory where they belong. As long as the H3 program folder and all associated directory are not anywhere in the Program Files directory, you should be able to save and load your maps normally.

Basically, installing the game in the Program Files directory does some strange things, so you're best avoiding that if possible. Absolute best solution is probably to uninstall the game and reinstall not in Program Files.. but I was too lazy to do that.

Hope that helps.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 03 Sep 2011, 05:50

Corribus wrote:(Maybe a little late for you, but...) Absolute best solution is probably to uninstall the game and reinstall not in Program Files.. but I was too lazy to do that.
You know you can just copy/paste the entire folder elsewhere :)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Jul 2012, 20:10

I recall having a problem when I tried to do that. The compatibility files didn't move along with the directory or some such. Uninstalling and reinstalling (or doing what I described above) works every time.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Jul 2012, 20:49

Corribus wrote:Yeah I just had (and solved) this problem myself. Has to do with Windows Vista/7. If your game folder is in the Program Files directory, any file you save with the editor (i.e., map files) aren't actually saved in the Program Files directory. They're stored in a hidden, impossible-to-find virtual directory elsewhere on your drive. This is a security "feature" of Windows to prevent you from saving bad files in the Program Files directory and screwing up windows. Though you've got to wonder what the value is in a system that completely destroys any semblance of logical file and directory structure.
I'm pretty sure you can do away with this by disabling the blight that is UAC.

I never really understood what the point of UAC was to begin with. It's not security, it's annoyance. If you want security, run a limited account and elevate whatever you trust, not run an administrator account with such stupid "security" measures that don't really prevent viruses to begin with...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Jul 2012, 21:07

Maybe that would work, but I have a feeling it's something more fundamental about the way Win7 handles file structure. Usually if it's UAC related you at least get a prompt or warning. This just happens automatically when creating files in the Program Files directory.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 29 Jul 2012, 06:33

I always have it off, and nothing like that ever happens. I'm fairly certain that it's just UAC being idiotic and not showing you that everything in Program Files is being sandboxed. As a matter of fact, that wouldn't even help prevent real viruses, as they could install themselves in areas other than Program Files just as well. Like I said, it's a lot better to disable it and use a Limited account for a lot better security and a lot less annoyance. That's how Linux has handled security ever since its beginning, and it works a lot better than UAC ever did.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 29 Jul 2012, 08:19

Corribus wrote:Maybe that would work, but I have a feeling it's something more fundamental about the way Win7 handles file structure. Usually if it's UAC related you at least get a prompt or warning. This just happens automatically when creating files in the Program Files directory.
It doesn't happened to me when I installed H3C from GoG. But I never install games under Program Files.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 30 Jul 2012, 12:26

Pol, is your UAC still set to high-security? I thought that W7 users had to install older games under Program Files_X86? So, that's not true?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Jul 2012, 19:58

markkur wrote:So, that's not true?
Not true. Program Files (x86) is simply the default folder. They can actually be installed anywhere you wish. Hence protecting Program Files doesn't do a whole lot, with viruses also being able to install themselves anywhere else. It does protect programs inside Program Files from tampering, but then so does a Limited account, and in a lot better way (UAC puts things into a hidden volume either way, Limited accounts ask for a password and proceed when it's given).

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Jul 2012, 21:04

markkur wrote:Pol, is your UAC still set to high-security? I thought that W7 users had to install older games under Program Files_X86? So, that's not true?
Different program than UAC is taking care about my security. Licensed firewall solution. So, no UAC, in my case.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”