Humor?

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Mar 2006, 07:12

cherko wrote:Maybe the best thing is to put those jokes that are hard to get or even notice, because those who do get it will find it funny.
Like the ones from WoT?Yes,subtle humor is nice,but blunt one is also good.It depends on the ocasion.

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 10 Mar 2006, 18:07

DaemianLucifer wrote:
cherko wrote:Maybe the best thing is to put those jokes that are hard to get or even notice, because those who do get it will find it funny.
Like the ones from WoT?Yes,subtle humor is nice,but blunt one is also good.It depends on the ocasion.
I think the WoT humor is far from subtle. It is so obvious and funny.
I'm back!!!

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 10 Mar 2006, 19:41

How about: you meet a talking donkey who informs you that his friends want to join your forces - and you receive two ogres and a red dragon...
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 10 Mar 2006, 22:04

Come on fellow mapmakers. Lets be honest with ourselves. We are just flat-out boring people whose continuous and miserable attempts at being funny have failed. Always. At best they've made some zit-faced youngster, who had taken some helium, cocain, heroin, alcohol, pepsi cola, fruitful spam and other stuff we better not mention, to smirk a little.

Just look at Ururam's new ideas in this post if you don't realize it/believe me.

;)

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 11 Mar 2006, 08:58

Humakt wrote:Just look at Ururam's new ideas in this post if you don't realize it/believe me.
In fact the last idea is very old, I used it in H3 times. It's miserable I don'th ave anything new... :D
Hoc est opus!

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 11 Mar 2006, 17:25

I am actually the class clown in school, but it doesn't help me in mapmaking when people laugh at me when I... Uhh, it's not in the dictionary, and I dunno what it's called in english...
I'm back!!!

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 11 Mar 2006, 20:34

Taken from a quest hut in one of my yet-to-be-finished maps:
You get an eerie feeling as you enter the strange dark shrine. The place seems haunted, you think as you walk among the piles of large ribs, backbones and other parts of long dead animals. Suddenly a terrible shriek crosses the air and echoes throughout the valley. You feel a horrible smell coming from somewhere to your right... no, make that your left... heck, it's everywhere! As you run out looking for fresh air, the ghost of a Behemoth appears in front of you.

"Boo!" it says. You trip on a bone of some sort and fall flat on your face in front of it. "Oh, really now!" it says "That's really too much. I mean I DID expect you to scream hysterically and run like crazy, but... bowing down...?!"

You finally get up and run towards the exit as the smell gets worse and worse. "Wait!" the creature speaks "You can't just run off like that!" You unwillingly stop and pray the Behemoth says what it has to say fast.

"There's a desert out there, honey!" it continues "Running like crazy, although flattering to my ego, won't do you any good. You should find a way out of here, you know! If these were better times, I would allow you passage through my secret... well, passage."

Thinking the thing might actually help you in your quest, you hold on to your nose heroically and ask the Behemoth if it can help you.

"Oh, I can, honey, sure I can! It's just that my passage has been sealed by that stupid warlock-mage-wizard person that lives to the north. You'll have to go the long way... through Twinbridge Land. But that place is protected, honey. You'll need one of my potions to get to the Gate of Twinbridge and the Hill of Decisions..."

Images start swirling in your head as you feel death by... Behemoth odor coming to claim you... Seconds pass as you can't even hear the ghost's words clearly...

"Well, what are you waiting for?" the Behemoth yells "Take the special Eye Holder and go get me the Last Eye of Many, or you'll never get out of here!"

You rush outside, thanking every god that you remember for finally getting away from the Behemoth. Minutes later, as you leave the valley, you remember the ghost saying something about some Evil Eyes to the west, on a hill, and about some eyes that have to be destroyed to weaken them.
I, for one, find it very funny! :D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 11 Mar 2006, 20:50

And from what map is the quotation:
- How can I kill the mummies?
- Youu can't. They are already dead.
:idea:
Hoc est opus!

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Mar 2006, 01:38

ScarlettP wrote:One of my favorite old Heroes 2 maps (can't remember the name) had a very vain hero who was always looking in the mirror. A timed event said "Some ents show up at your door and offer their services. You tell them to report to the back of the castle. Gain 10 Wood." The same map had 2 or 3 references to a bartender with a 3rd hand sticking out of the top of his head. If I could get that old map to load, I would probably re-make it as an H4 map because I loved it so much.
Scarlett, when I first read this, I was like, "Hmm, I think I remember playing that map, too!"

And then I realized why I thought it was familiar - that's MY map! LOL. The map's name was Ludicrosity (suitably enough). It was the first map I ever made (well, the first one I ever released publically), and also my only attempt at a comedy. I find tragedies easier to write.

Anyway, if you want a copy of it I still have it here on my HD. I read through it and I have to admit I chuckled a few times...

EDIT: Actually I take that back. I made two comedies. My other one, which ironically enough was my LAST H2 map, was called the Cabal. It was something of a dark comedy about a bunch of Necromancers and loosely based on a bunch of "evil" members of the Quill. They had a tournament team. I don't think their website is up anymore... but they were a bunch of bumbling necros if you ever saw one (quite unlike our own resident walking corpse, of course) and the map does them justice, if I do say so myself.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 12 Mar 2006, 08:45

I suggest you, to get a copy of Melvin Helitzer's "Comedy Writing Secrets". It might be useful if you want to create funny maps.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 12 Mar 2006, 17:58

I played trapped inside the beast lately (and I think that quote is from there, ururam) and when I tried to solve every quest in the underground, I encountered several humorous messages. Can't remember them now...

Where do you get that copy, Vel?
I'm back!!!

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 14 Mar 2006, 12:00

Ururam Tururam wrote:And from what map is the quotation:
- How can I kill the mummies?
- Youu can't. They are already dead.
:idea:
Argh! Such a pegleg joke. I'm glad it's not actually on the map but in the help file.

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 14 Mar 2006, 17:31

The map itself was really funny, though.
I'm back!!!

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 14 Mar 2006, 19:40

Humakt wrote:Argh! Such a pegleg joke.
Yet it made me fall off my chair laughing!
Hoc est opus!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 15 Mar 2006, 08:47

A well, tastes vary...
Grah!

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”