H4: Multiplayer Maps & Multiplayer Variables

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Hippotaur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H4: Multiplayer Maps & Multiplayer Variables

Unread postby Hippotaur » 19 Nov 2009, 07:38

On my most recent Heroes IV map, "Terrak", I put in some lockpicking guild questhuts in order to give players the pseudo-ability of lockpicking, which is then utilized when opening the Pandora's Boxes.

I soon realized because this is a multiplayer map that one "LockpickingSkill" variable would not suffice - for once one player spent the exorbinant amounts of gold to get the skill, then automatically any human player would have the skill as well.

So I made a complex script with different LockpickingSkill variables for each colour.

But that got me to thinking...how many other types of situations would require "multiplayer variables"?

Since many variables are set and reset during the running of a particular script, probably those kind wouldn't.

Perhaps only variables that "float" out there during the game would need this sort of thing...but then also only ones that would affect different players differently. For instance, a variable for the use of "this place has already been pillaged and used up - don't activate it any more, instead display a 'sorry we're not home' message" wouldn't need to have six different versions of it.

Any thoughts on this subject? Have any/many of you mapmakers dealt with this sort of thing?
"Well, we did do the nose."

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”