Map Testers Wanted for Great and detailed Map

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Map Testers Wanted for Great and detailed Map

Unread postby dark raider » 12 Aug 2009, 09:59

Hey guys & Girls

I am Finally done with my map...and have played it 1 time myself without crashes...cool...now I need you guys to test it before i can submit it in here....

so any one who likes to try out a very cool and detailed map???

it is a TOE map.
Large SIze

Best played with the turn based time of 5-6 min.
and the difficulty of Hard.

thanks again.

Dark Raider

El Chita
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby El Chita » 12 Aug 2009, 18:55

YEs, me ! :-D

Just gimme a download link and I will try this out ^^

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 12 Aug 2009, 20:46

how do i put it in as a download link?

El Chita
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby El Chita » 13 Aug 2009, 09:11

Well, use this server:
http://www7.zippyshare.com/

Zip or rare it, browse it and give me the link so that I can test it.
Are there any specific things you want me to watch for ?

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 13 Aug 2009, 10:44

ok here is the lnik...

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/10000208/file.html

just look for small errors...or things you may think is out of balance on the map. also make sure to check if the high level dwelling is as normal...I made sure that the lvl. 4,5 & 7 creatures should be in all of the dwellings..

I also Removed the Instant Travel Spell because the computer used it a lot of places to cheat he's way into an opponent.

thanks again for testing hope you enjoy this map. and please read the readme file...

Dark Raider. B-)

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 13 Aug 2009, 11:15

Oops had to edit the link....it was the wrong map i linked...

El Chita
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby El Chita » 13 Aug 2009, 18:59

Ok, I got it. I started with Sylvan, but I had to stop, because after one week, I still didn't got my sawmill and wasn't able to build the hunters building. I was so angry that I opened the editor and placed a sawmill near my town :P

I just wanted to say that, because I'm sure that most other players will dislike this, too :)

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 13 Aug 2009, 19:58

as sylvan the sawmill is very close...it is down int the south east corner...it would take 2 maybe 3 days to get there...

El Chita
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby El Chita » 14 Aug 2009, 16:41

Ok, I started again playing the Orcs, they are the only ones who have a really good start. No problems on the map, everything worked fine and Grumsh knocked out all enemies :D

The only thing I still dislike is the thing with the mines. Ore and Wood are necessary for every faction, and this two mines shouldn't be more than one day's journey away from the town...

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 14 Aug 2009, 21:13

I played through the Academy's starting area as Nur on heroic difficulty. I "cleaned the plate" (killed everything and accessed all objects) so threre are no blocked paths there. I think the balance in the area is nice. I missed the travel boots on my first pass through because I didn't turn the camerea in that area. But on my second pass through to finish the area I found them. I don't know if that was a random artifact or if you placed the boots there.

I don't know if I'll be able to play this weekend but I'll send the save game to you if you would like. Nur is level 21 and ready to upgrade her troops and head out for conquest.

Oh, I do have a suggestion. Move the elemental conflux out of the area where you have it so it could be useful for creeping. The guard was strong enough that by the time I accessed the area the elementals were no longer useful to me. Maybe that is not the case on "hard" difficulty though, and you said that is what you designed the map for.

Oh, and what I've seen so far is a nice looking map too. Looks like you put a lot of work into it.

Edit: I played through the Sylvan starting position on heroic with Ossir. The one suggestion I have is to move the lumber mill slightly closer. I went straight for the lumber mill and was able to fight the guardians on day 2 but didn't have enough movement points to capture the mill. That one day difference cost me building the hunter's guild in week one but I got it one day 1 week 2. But the area plays just fine. The area is a little larger than the Academy's area and so took me a little longer to clear.

Edit 2:
I tried Fortress on heroic but abandoned the game.

The paths are narrow, which is fine, but some of your site guardians are blocking the main paths so multiple stacks may have to be fought to reach further guarded objects. You may want to rotate some of the objects and moved the site guardians so the player can get by them if he can't fight a particular stack to fight one he can.

The previous two positions I had played were nicely open so a scout could go around exploring and picking up loose resources.

I could not get to the Dwarven storehouse to help me with my ore problems because of the stack guarding the magic shrine was blocking the path and was too strong. After that stack the stack guarding the war machine factory was also blocking the path. I would advise you to move that guardian as well as the war machine guardian so if one is too strong the player can still get to the storehouse. And bear in mind that the storehouse guardians will likely be too strong for the first week troops the player has so you can't really expect the player to get his first week ore from there.

I broke through the stacks guarding the War Academy and Shield Barracks and was able to get a scout in the river. The planetarium guardian blocks the path that continues on towards the ore mine. The player has to break through too many stacks to get to the ore mine. And the ore mine is at least a four day ride from the player's castle even if he is able to fight non-stop through all the stacks to get to it. Mayber you should exchange places with the Dwarven strorehouse and the ore mine or something to get the mine closer to the player.

Oh, here is a tip for you. If you turn on th grid it will help you see the "zone of control" of a monster stack so it is easier to see if it is blocking a path you want open.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 15 Aug 2009, 12:06

I thank you for your help.

I have done some modification according to your requests... now it should be better.you can see the changes in the final readme file. now i think it is time to post the map.

If other ideas should come up..don't hesitate to give me a hint..

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”