Need help with fixing map crashes!!!

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Need help with fixing map crashes!!!

Unread postby dark raider » 12 Jul 2009, 12:34

Hello Guys... I have made a heroes map for H5 TOE. it took me 2 years to finish it but i am done with it....

how ever i have a problem...

This is where i need your help guys....

Whenever i play it it crashes at some point in the game...and always at a new location... So this is what i would like from you guys...

Can someone try my map...(i can send it to you in a mail)... se if you can find the problem in the map and fix it....and the reward is: the one that finds the problem and get it fixed...will be allowed to be written as the Co-author of the map....

So I really hope that someone will help me out here...because i think it is a very cool map...and everyone should try it out.....

thanks

Dark Raider :devil:

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 12 Jul 2009, 14:29

a) Is your map Huge in size?
b) Do you use arena objects a lot?

If either is true, your map will tend to crush, and nothing can be done about it.

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 12 Jul 2009, 16:23

I must Say yes to both...

hmm...what a shame ubisoft has f''ked the game up that much...what is the point in allowing a huge map size if it crashes.... from now on ubisoft will be known to me as ubif''k..... since it is not the first game they have made that keeps crashing...

Franzy
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Franzy » 12 Jul 2009, 17:51

Nival never intended to allow Huge maps, but Ubisoft insisted, well, in the end the feature was not fully implemented. Till now AI doesn't function correctly without a special mod on Huge maps. And the saves sometimes just don't load. So I personally avoid playing huge maps.

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 16 Jul 2009, 12:58

Actually I just found out...my map is only a Large map....so it is not that big.... so it should not be crashing because of the size i guess...

but then what...

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 18 Jul 2009, 11:09

if it is large it should not crash right? and i do not think it is too detailed...not more than other maps i've seen and they work...so anyone who knows what the reason might be? i have the map ready so just tell me and i will send it to You and have a look....

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby dark raider » 18 Jul 2009, 13:47

Now Yet another thing has shown itself.... when im in the map editor...with my map...and I push the check map button...the map editor crashes...i have an idea that the problem that makes the editor crash is also the problem that makes it crash in game...but how can i find out what the problem is when the check map is not possible to use.... I really need some help with this one....

Can ayone help??? some ideas???

I am Desperate... :( :tired: ;|

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 20 Jul 2009, 01:00

A friend of mine made a map where heroes visiting an obolisk caused a crash. The solution to that would be to make a small region around each obolisk and make it only accessible by a human player. Oh, there is also a bug with the "tomb of the warrior" that can cause the game to crash. So you may need to do the region limitation thing for it too.

Here is a code that will clear the fog of war so you can observe the computer. during playtesting. That should help you determine the cause of the crash.
-- Clear fog of war
for i= 0,GetMaxFloor() do
OpenCircleFog (0, 0, i, 9999, GetCurrentPlayer())
end;
Edit: Oh, "Check Map" really does nothing for you. Use View---> "Show AI Passability" to check your pathing.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”