Legendary maps - what is the secret? :)

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 05 Mar 2006, 22:30

I thought it was great. Glad to know it's a real place. I was thinking it looked like something off the coast of Norway. :D

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 06 Mar 2006, 17:54

Ururam Tururam wrote:
cherko wrote:I honestly didn't like that minimap. Looked so... weird.
Oh, the real author of this shape is God Allmighty who created the island of Newfoundland which this minimap is quite a detailed image. :D
What I mean is, it doesn't look might & magic.
I'm back!!!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Mar 2006, 09:40

cherko wrote:
Ururam Tururam wrote:
cherko wrote:I honestly didn't like that minimap. Looked so... weird.
Oh, the real author of this shape is God Allmighty who created the island of Newfoundland which this minimap is quite a detailed image. :D
What I mean is, it doesn't look might & magic.
It looked more like earth & nature :devil:

But why doesnt it look like M&M?Because its not little candy-like? :devil:

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 08 Mar 2006, 20:17

It looks simply too real. If you want virtual reality, why don't you just play the sims?
I'm back!!!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 09 Mar 2006, 19:27

DaemianLucifer wrote:It looked more like earth & nature :devil:
Yeah, and that's the sort of thing I like to see in a minimap.
Grah!

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 09 Mar 2006, 20:58

Everyone's against me! Whatever, everyone's allowed to have their own personal taste.
I'm back!!!

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 09 Mar 2006, 23:38

Yep, it all boils down to personal taste. The types of maps I enjoy and think are the greatest you may not like at all.

And I am not always in the mood to play the same type of map every time so it is nice that mapmakers each have their own style instead of trying to imitate each other.

GOW

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Mar 2006, 07:31

cherko wrote:It looks simply too real. If you want virtual reality, why don't you just play the sims?
Because I like strategies.And just because its fantazy,doesnt mean it should negate all natural laws,just have its own natural laws.So the more real it looks,the better for me.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Mar 2006, 11:12

ScarlettP wrote: then he came up with some other lame reason why he couldn't play it.
Hey! My PC broke down! What was I supposed to do, get a loan and buy a new one? Anyway, I've got a new one now, and I'll play it this weekend...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 10 Mar 2006, 18:29

Women are so hard to please...
Grah!

TheOffspring
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheOffspring » 25 Dec 2009, 22:58

my favourites are (all for homm 3, not wog):
-The Empire of the world I-II
-Astrogonia
-The Lone Knight
-The Pen and the Sword
-Wings of Heaven
-Astrogonia
-The beginning of the end (only problem is that u can get the spellbinder's hat, that shouldn't be on map, makes it too ez to go around and explore(dimension door, fly...))

El Chita
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby El Chita » 26 Dec 2009, 09:45

This is an interesting thread, could someone plz tell some H5-maps which are just good designed like Elysium ?

thx :)

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 25 Jan 2010, 12:19

Hello all
Amazing to see this forum still is somewhat alife.
I'm an veteran player of Heroes, must have spend well over 100 hours just on HoMM3.
I had to make an agreement with my wife not to buy HoMM5 when it came out. But this christmas she bought the gold edition for me (I must have done something right after all).
Anyway, I have now finished all the campagnes and was looking after some really good player made maps from you guys.
I mean maps like the "Pride" series (still the best ever IMO) or "Empires of the World" or "Lone Knight". Maps that must have taken months to make.

I like eye-candy and some good story but so far I have only seen a few HoMM5 (standart, HoF, TotE) that has that, and I must have downloaded almost 100 in different sizes.

So, can any of you recomment some maps?, I havent played that many and surely missed out on some great ones, so far only maps from "Grumpy old wizard" has been good...
Cheers..

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 29 Jan 2010, 09:02

El Chita wrote:This is an interesting thread, could someone plz tell some H5-maps which are just good designed like Elysium ? thx :)
Well, maybe this forum is more or less dead afterall :(
I tried the Elysium, good designed but after a while the AI took way to long on its turns IMO. I hate waiting 5 mins between every turn.

I have only got 2 TotE custom campains to work but both are sylvan style and no my liking atm.

I can recomment "Lucio Dreams", havent finished it yet though. For standard HoMM5 the map "BK-school" is good aswell.

Other than that I'm still looking hard for enjoyable custom maps to play.

love2winalot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby love2winalot » 29 Jan 2010, 22:59

Hiya: The AI taking to long? In a way i agree. But then i did this. I took MY turn, with 5 heroes, and timed it. Then i timed all the AI Heroes, and even though it took over 10 minutes total, the time divided by the number of Heroes, was actually a little less than mine.

If you keep going thru gates an whirlepools to get where you actually want to be, so will the AI.

There is nothing like making , and then playing, a Map you made yourself. With all the info here, and in the guides, of what can go wrong, and what works, it is no longer trial an error. Play other peoples Maps, and inbetween make your own map. Even without scripting, it can become really good.

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 30 Jan 2010, 08:07

Well, even though I take 10 minutes a turn, with fighting, running, buying and selling, the AI is suppose to do all that in quick modes, its still very long for me to just sit and look at colored bars for 10 minutes.

Anyway, I agree it can be very fulfilling to make ones own maps, These months I'm way too busy in real life to even beginn to understand the map editor though.

10 years back I did made this map for some millenium competition:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/search ... mit=Search

It didnt do well, but I tell you, it took me months and its perfect within its limits.

Anyway thanks for the reply..

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”