Dark Forest map

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Dark Forest map

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Feb 2006, 20:09

Ok I have begun making a medium sized map with only spooky trees making up a enormous forest with only thight paths and some hills dotted around, the map also have terrain like dry grass, dirt with moss, dirt, shallow and deep swamp areas.

You start with two heroes (green team) at the bottom left corner of the map.

So I wonder if you guys have any Idea to events or and fitting creatures?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Feb 2006, 20:18

Well isnt it obvius that undead should be plentiful :devil:

Some sort of a weird cult comes to mind.And hydras as well.Also the evil eyes,trolls and troglodytes fit there as well.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Feb 2006, 20:41

DaemianLucifer wrote:Well isnt it obvius that undead should be plentiful :devil:

Some sort of a weird cult comes to mind.And hydras as well.Also the evil eyes,trolls and troglodytes fit there as well.
Hmm yes I'll keep them in mind, trogs and hydras in the swamp part, and maybe add a evil sorceress tower on top of a hill ;|

Oh and I have thought out a bit scary event sequence.....a shame I may spoil it if im gonna upload that map, as shit. After traveling along the way, a message may pop up and say :

"You hear som fotsteps behind you, you turn around but nothing there. Wondering whatever it was it could be just some animals playing cat and mouse"

second message

"Again you hear some sounds behind you but this time it is not like the ones before, they sounds like hooves. Terrified you slowly turn around and see a Dark Champion, you yell at your companion to get to arms, fast! "

This will, since its only one dark champion be in the beginning of the game, but since you also begin as level 4 this may turn into a moderat hard battle.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 22 Feb 2006, 23:16

This is a H4 right? Don't forget Hexus's tower. Those are pretty creepy looking.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 23 Feb 2006, 06:56

Yep its a H4 map, but eh what is Hexus tower? I it only in the EQ mod if so I cant include that one.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Dark Forest map

Unread postby Thelonious » 23 Feb 2006, 15:31

Hey, my campaign begins in a forest aswell. Those are cool!
Orfinn wrote:So I wonder if you guys have any Idea to events or and fitting creatures?
Bandits -> and the events (these might be hard to make but if you can't make 'em your self I'll help you)

Bandits robbing you, undead attacking from nowhere etc. all randomized so you have a chance of no combat - a chance of a robbery and a chance of undead attacking you etc.

That'd be cool.
Grah!

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 23 Feb 2006, 17:23

In my campaign Planeswalker II the entire underground of map 5 is practically an entire graveyard mixed with black forest. You 're welcome to check it out and see if something cathces your eye.

You'll get the best preview if you extract the map and replace the carryover hero with a 'normal' hero. Start the game and load the map, then type nwcprometheus and you can watch the entire map. (When you want the shroud of darkness to return, just type nwcproemtheus again.)

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 23 Feb 2006, 17:53

Might creatures fit in everywhere. And you DON'T need EQ for Hexis' Tower. Just go to Tools>Customize>Object Palettes and add that freaking castle to yer palette groups. What kinda map is this? RPG or just normal?
I'm back!!!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 23 Feb 2006, 18:51

Thanks for the tips folks ;)

Well I think Im gonna make an RPG single map, but im unsure if you can choose faction type when the hero placeholders are random, or does it only count for towns?

One thing Im sure of Im gonna put in creatures that are euthentic to the map here are some creatures I have planned:

Dark Champion
Ghost
Skeletons (at bony fields or thight places)
Zombies (same as skeletons, maybe at swamps to)
Gargoyles (around rocky places)
Evil Sorceress
Bandits
Nightmare (a must, sice they come from a dwelling named dark forest ;))
Bone and Black Dragon but few of them.

and maybe a few other creatures.....

This is gonna be my first RPG map and it may take all from 2 months to half a year to make.

Oh and the two heroes are not going to start with any armies! :devious:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 23 Feb 2006, 19:27

Oh and another thing, you said the heroes aren't of an alignment right? If you want them to find a town later on, you could best link it - that's under properties.
Grah!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 23 Feb 2006, 19:50

Thelonious wrote:Oh and another thing, you said the heroes aren't of an alignment right? If you want them to find a town later on, you could best link it - that's under properties.
So you mean if I place a green player random town somewhere it will be a nature town if I choose nature heroes (green player) at the beginning?

Anyway I'll keep that in mind ;)

Since its all random, you will begin with random heroes, quite obvios, I have checked on all heroes and all artifacts so you may even get Erutan Revol at the beginning if you choose nature as your alignment that is B-)

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 23 Feb 2006, 23:19

Yeah, check out planeswalker, it has some sweet terrain. My map, my brother's keeper, also has a section of very deep, black forest which you might like as well as some evil-themed swamp. A good way to make a forest look foreboding is to have normal (green etc.) trees with black trees underneath and poking out from them. Makes it look a bit sinister. Have deep, dark, ground covering too. And random steam vents. [strike]And whales[/strike] :).

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 24 Feb 2006, 10:17

Some normal trees with dark ones among them? Hmm yeah that may be a good idea, if so I gotta have them at the start of the map or where the terrain is lushier, fresher and greener.

The only terrain that is dark enough for me is the lava grounds, but for me they dont fit so well for my map, I may go for the cold lavagrounds though and maybe add some hot, boiling lava grounds near the volcanic mountain range.

Map UPDATE:

-I have added a weid mix of vegetation, lol its mostly greenish, bright green or green which dosent fit so well together with the dark tress but to compensate the weird mix I have made a nice background story for the vegetation, they have a protective magical aura themself that keeps them healthy and avoids getting corrupted by the evil aura of the dark forest, so only the trees have been affected by the evil.

-I may also create a nice small conflict between the two heroes about trust and feelings, it will be a small challenge to make the conversations neutral which will say that there will be no love or she or hes in there.

-Have changed the starting level of the heroes from lvl 7 to 1 creating a broader freedom in skill choices, dont worry the first part of this chaotic forest wont be THAT hard.

-Have placed some structures here and there, not going to reveal which ones, well I can only say that there will be very few good aligned dwellings and structures, overall there will be a low-moderate amount of buildings in the forest.

-Added a great mountain range almost splitting the map in half contains volcanic mountains and some swampy, norther forest ones. Yes there will be some volcanic terrain elements on the map but not too much of it.

-Added two free backpacks, a medicine wagon and some free treasure chests (with a good reason, you will know it soon enough) dotted at the start of the map, so choose wisely between gold and experience you may need the m both ;)

I will keep you folks updated after completing more and more of the map or when I feel for it ;)
And I apologize for my not too good english, its easy to get stuck with spellings, words and sentences with other languages than your own you know :cantsee:

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 24 Feb 2006, 17:41

I've had it with all these lightly scripted RPG's. This doesn't mean I won't like yours, if it has something new to offer I'll probably like it. Oh, and I'm all into unrealistic terrains (gotta post some screenies from Day of the Thief...)
I'm back!!!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 24 Feb 2006, 17:54

Orfinn wrote:So you mean if I place a green player random town somewhere it will be a nature town if I choose nature heroes (green player) at the beginning?
No, I mean to say that if you put a random town on the map (the big blue box thing) and look at it's properties, you can link the alignment to a player. You can also do this with random dwellings, altars and shrines.
Grah!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 24 Feb 2006, 19:53

I'll keep that in mind :)

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 25 Feb 2006, 13:05

Oh if you I could send you the first map of my campaign - though not finished it's got the forest allready. If you'd like I could put in a script or two that give random attackers (what I was gonna do anyway)
Grah!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Feb 2006, 17:26

Thelonious wrote:Oh if you I could send you the first map of my campaign - though not finished it's got the forest allready. If you'd like I could put in a script or two that give random attackers (what I was gonna do anyway)
Not necessary...yet, I'll contact you if I want to take a look at your map and maybe give you some ideas if you want.

About the change owner with script at dwellings, after I have added "change owner to Green player", should I add a "remove script" too?

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 26 Feb 2006, 16:22

Yeah - that is if it should be permanently green. If you don't use a remove script there no matter what the AI will do, the dwelling will allways be flagged green each new day. (this could be a way to lure the AI into an area though I think)

But there is 1 exception, say the dwelling should only be green if the player owns a certain town; then if the town isn't owned anymore the dwelling would be neutral again (scripted). But if green captures the town again the dwelling becomes green once more.

Shortly said scripts that will have to work the whole time the player plays the map don't need a remove script.
Grah!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 27 Feb 2006, 06:56

I see, this will make some interesting events when it comes to town and dwelling capture :D

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”