Cost of might level 4 creatures?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 29 Apr 2006, 11:00

Actually they're the main offense, since they deal so much damage.

The big problem is, they're the main offense that's not getting anywhere. They excel at face-to-face melee, but it's not that they're going to get within range.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 Apr 2006, 16:09

Banedon wrote: The big problem is, they're the main offense that's not getting anywhere. They excel at face-to-face melee, but it's not that they're going to get within range.
But then we must also look to the opponent's point of view. If the opposing side (let's say a might-only army) has behemoths in their army, army 1 will be a bit more wary about sending their fliers or even their own melee units over, so as not to be decimated by the behemoths. This can give something of an advantage to the army with behemoths, don't you think?

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 29 Apr 2006, 16:30

the behemoth is not that bad... they are cheap and come in good numbers. statisitcally, they are second toughest lv4 hireable in town. you just need to know it's limitations. ppl keep saying they are easiest lv4 to beat as neutrals, and you can cast slow on them and say good bye. while this is all true we need to remeber that all neutrals are easier to deal with.

when playing against a human with either high level tactics, speed, haste or teleport, and 1.5 times the number of behemoths as your own lv4 stack, you'll regret underestimating these deadly beasts.
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Apr 2006, 17:45

Im not saying that behemots are bad.But,compared to other lvl4s,they are weak(price versus stats and specials).Thunderbirds are cheaper and more numerous,considering their stats and specials.And it is highly unlikely to meat a barbarian with lots of spells.Speed,maybe.But he wont be able to cast it a lot.While youll surely have mass slow.Even quicksand is enough to criple the behemots.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 30 Apr 2006, 01:10

Metathron wrote:But then we must also look to the opponent's point of view. If the opposing side (let's say a might-only army) has behemoths in their army, army 1 will be a bit more wary about sending their fliers or even their own melee units over, so as not to be decimated by the behemoths. This can give something of an advantage to the army with behemoths, don't you think?
Not really. For that to be effective the Might army has to hold the advantage in Ranged combat and, more importantly, blessings. Many armies would have little problems here, and there are ways to neutralize the Behemoths:

1. Life - cast Sanctuary and advance.
2. Nature - Summon some Melee unit, steal the Behemoth's retaliation and give them 4 unretaliated attacks from the Phoenixes and Mantises.
3. Order - cast Teleport on any vulnerable target and annihilate it.
4. Death - Hand of Death :D Fatigue and Sorrow would be devastating too.
5. Chaos - Cloud of Confusion and advance.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 30 Apr 2006, 15:52

@ ppl who thinks the behemoth is too weak: if you say it like that then surely the hydra is not that much better than the behemoth, yet it costs a lot more, why itsn't anyone complainig about them?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Apr 2006, 15:59

BenchBreaker wrote:@ ppl who thinks the behemoth is too weak: if you say it like that then surely the hydra is not that much better than the behemoth, yet it costs a lot more, why itsn't anyone complainig about them?
Who says they arent?I always said hydras need a speed boost and regeneration.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 30 Apr 2006, 16:05

yeah, the regenereation would make perfect sense, even nival got that one right ;)

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 30 Apr 2006, 16:32

In my opinion, the hydra already has specials that are powerful (and deadly) enough.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Apr 2006, 17:03

Yes they are deadly.But most of the time hydras dont have a chance of using them.So either a boost in speed,or 50hp regeneration(like dark champions)would be a nice addition to them.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 30 Apr 2006, 17:10

I don't know if their speed has been upped by Equilibris, but they seem fast enough to me. They are no flyers so people shouldn't expect them to attack the very first turn. Put them in the first army spot and they'll attack as soon as their second turn. Geez. :devious:

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 30 Apr 2006, 17:11

why would the hydra be deadly and the behemoth not, behemoth has almost double the damage of hydra, which compensates for no retal, as for area attack, it would be useless if you can't attack anyone, also against a human player, you rarely have the chance to attack more than one target.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 30 Apr 2006, 17:12

Exactly. Why make a big fuss about the inadequacies of some creatures but choose not to see the pros at the same time?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Apr 2006, 17:20

Both hydra and behemot have great strenght and damage.But they lack a lot in speed.You can attack in your second turn with hydra only with a tactician or if you both have spread tactics.And behemot is even slower.And they should be slow,but they need just a bit more strenght then.More defense would be nice,or the specialties I suggested.

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 02 May 2006, 09:38

I don't catch why do you want to uberchange hydra...
Of course it's not super-useful unit, but such radikal things like Regeneration would be far too much...

dmg- varied, and sometimes it's weakness to deal only 28, but that's all chaos units feature, btw. with tactican or bless spell you can fix it;)
att- not bad
def- here's hydra weak, 250HP isn't IMO perfect compensation
speed/initiative/mov- equal to behemoth's

abilities are good: area melee att, no retal + combined with chaos spells like Cat Relfex make h. devastating

And as for difficulty to kill they're equal to behemoths so those who were for b. were right. B. aren't the weaker. They are both with hydras ;)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 02 May 2006, 13:07

The Hydra question's a little skewed. Most people who've used Hydras have been able to buff them (Chaos Magic has a few buffs), while the same is not significantly true of the Behemoth. Opinions are likely to be slanted towards the Hydra for that reason.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby TheUnknown » 14 May 2006, 18:50

Behemoths are good but they are better on defence which is rarely needed for might becose the cyclops can be disabled with diferent spells. But if you can protect the cyclops from such spells (if you have anti magic or similar) then no unit can protect them like behemoths.
I think might usualy goes on offense so thunderbirds are lot better here, teamed with the mighty ogre magi they are prety tough also cyclops aren't bad with them everything depends on how you play the game.
Same goes for hydras they are good like hell on defense (no retaliation is not a joke), on offense think of army with hydras, GM tacticsian Mass Misfortune on your enemy and you teleport the hydras(if you can get that is) or cast massSpeed. Chaos too usualy goes on offence thatswhy BDragons are better, they can go anywhere without being slowed or weakened by spells.
The price on might creatures is lower becose they grow more and they grow more becose they have no magic they have MIGHT :devil:

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 15 May 2006, 09:22

TheUnknown wrote: The price on might creatures is lower becose they grow more and they grow more becose they have no magic they have MIGHT :devil:
Assuming you have the Breeding Pens :D
If you don't the growth is poor..
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Heroes I-IV”