Cost of might level 4 creatures?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Cost of might level 4 creatures?

Unread postby Metathron » 18 Feb 2006, 21:43

Aren't they too cheap? I'm talking especially about the behemoths, who cost only 2750 gold plus two crystal, whereas other lvl 4 creatures with a weekly growth of 2 all cost 4000 gold plus whatever resource.

Or is this another of those added Might kicks to help compensate for the lack of magic?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Feb 2006, 21:56

The behemots are weak they way they are,so making them more expensive would make them even weaker.Howerever,thunderbirds are just fine.They are strong enough,and their cost suits them.The added population of 50% from breeding pens compensates for the lack of magic,but it is very expensive,so units should be cheaper than the rest.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 19 Feb 2006, 00:00

The behemoths weak? I don't think so:

240 HP
36 Attack
34 Defense
55-80 Damage

Their attack, defense and damage values are pretty much better than any other 2/week lvl 4 creatures.

Like I said, I suspect the low cost is there to give an added boost to a town with no magic.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 19 Feb 2006, 00:16

Metathron wrote:The behemoths weak? I don't think so:

240 HP
36 Attack
34 Defense
55-80 Damage

Their attack, defense and damage values are pretty much better than any other 2/week lvl 4 creatures.

Like I said, I suspect the low cost is there to give an added boost to a town with no magic.
However, we must consider that a dead turtle moves faster than Behemoths. The main difficulty is not the punch they pack per se, it's that maneuvering them into usefulness is more often an exercise in futility.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 19 Feb 2006, 13:15

Metathron wrote:The behemoths weak? I don't think so:
240 HP
36 Attack
34 Defense
55-80 Damage
They aren't weak but if you present the stats, don't forget about:

initiative (speed)- 6
haste (moves)- 9
adv. map movement- 24
and no special ability (forget about stength)

it's much easier to defeat bhemoths than most of other 4th lev units.
Further more, this IS the Might style: cheap units (compare also the cost of 1-3lev.) and numeroes units (better growth+breeding pens+grail).
This compensates lack of magic.

Btw. Might-Tank gnasher costs 4k+2C but it's far better than behemoth so behemoths aren't too cheap.

Personally I prefer T-birds, which cost only 1,8k for really great unit. So rising the cost ov average behemoth is IMO unlogical...

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 19 Feb 2006, 13:58

MIght level 4's cost the same as the other towns if we include breeding pens.
Most level 4's cost the same per week, even...

For example
Behemoths: 3*2700 = 8100
Black Dragons: 1*8000
Angels: 2*4000
Champions: 4*2000

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 24 Apr 2006, 07:52

I feel this way: Behemoths are the same as champions (only champions move faster). They cost very little which means I can get alot of them. More creatures means more punch. Behemoths are not weak. If you don't want them to participate in a battle they can always just act as a buffer ;) Taking blows from the enemies. I have found champions and behemoths more useful than other lvl 4 creatures because they aren't weak. The loss of them is quickly forgotten since they are so cheap.
As for the lack of quickness: they are big and fat and lazy and besides I think they make up for it (and not just in statistics).
:D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 24 Apr 2006, 09:18

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:They cost very little which means I can get alot of them.
Price is rarely a problem in Heroes. Time (creature growth) is. It won't matter much if I have two million GP instead of one if I can only buy four behemots.
If you don't want them to participate in a battle they can always just act as a buffer ;)
However, you will run into serious trouble if you DO want them to participate in battle.
The loss of them is quickly forgotten since they are so cheap.
I still think it is far cheaper not to lose any creatures than to lose cheap ones.

The only thing I like about behemots is that they are very easy to defeat if they are my opponents :-). Oh, and they are cute, too.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 24 Apr 2006, 10:14

behemoths are slow an have no good special ability
thunderbirds are fragile - they die in enormous numbers
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 24 Apr 2006, 10:28

Behemoths are underrated, true they're a little slow, but they're pretty useful in a Might army. They're certainly not the best units in the game, but I can live with them. Cheap, deals alot of damage, and you can get more than usual Level 4s with the Breeding Pens and/or Nobility...

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 24 Apr 2006, 17:40

and they defend your cyclopes alright

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 Apr 2006, 07:15

pepak wrote:
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:They cost very little which means I can get alot of them.
Price is rarely a problem in Heroes. Time (creature growth) is. It won't matter much if I have two million GP instead of one if I can only buy four behemots.
If you don't want them to participate in a battle they can always just act as a buffer ;)
However, you will run into serious trouble if you DO want them to participate in battle.
The loss of them is quickly forgotten since they are so cheap.
I still think it is far cheaper not to lose any creatures than to lose cheap ones.

The only thing I like about behemots is that they are very easy to defeat if they are my opponents :-). Oh, and they are cute, too.
I don't think their disadvantage is a big deal when in battle. I've never been in serious trouble when having these.
I think price is a problem very often. I usually have problems with money in heroes. And if you have so much money then just buy a breeding pen and pace it up. Or get some creature dwellings outside of the castle or attack and conquer another castle. Plenty of opportunities :)

I understand what you mean when you say that it is cheaper not to lose any creatures but I'm not an extremely experienced player and therefore I lose my creatures. Hence I like to have the cheap ones since I'm bound to lose them.... :devious:

But you're right: They're cute little monkeys.. :lol:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Apr 2006, 13:49

pepak wrote:
Oh I beg to differ. In early and mid-stages of the game, especially on harder difficulties, it's exactly the amount of money in your treasury that'll prevent you from stocking up your army with your whole town's supply.

And I still persist in valueing behemoths as good level 4 creatures. :proud:

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 25 Apr 2006, 17:56

every other faction apart from chaos have skills to get free units, nature has summoning, death has necomancy, life has resurrection and order has charm, diplomacy had nobility, now apart from nobility & diplomacy all these skills give you free units, so it's only natural that might creatures should be cheaper, even if they are no weaker (in fact the lv4's are little weaker, but they still give more bang for your buck). the cheapness combined with breeding pen is basically like might's special skill to get free units.

so here's the question, why doesn't chaos have a skill to get free units?
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 25 Apr 2006, 18:01

oh yeah, forgot to ask, can anyone explain exactly what does strength do? Is the behemoth's damage output of 55-80 pre or after strength modification?

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 25 Apr 2006, 18:27

I'm not 100% sure, but "Strenght" means that behemoth deals 55-80 dmg (instead ~40-55 like most of other 4th) That's all...

55-80 multiplated with 36Att stat is 3rd melee-DMG rate in heroes4 if I correctly counted...

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 25 Apr 2006, 18:50

so basically just like insubstancial and toughness, in other words a dummy ability that does nothing but modify some stats, is it really that difficult to come up with at least one ability for each creature?

obvious ones they overlooked: ignore no retal, retalliate twice, double strike on retal, ignore LoS, pierce armor, carry through damage.. just a few that came to the top of my head

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Apr 2006, 07:02

Behemoths are highly underestimated and I'm glad to see that other people do actually like them. And you get a certain amount of them every week that will match the cost of one lvl 4 creature in any other town.
- Dragon Age Origins

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Apr 2006, 07:47

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Behemoths are highly underestimated and I'm glad to see that other people do actually like them. And you get a certain amount of them every week that will match the cost of one lvl 4 creature in any other town.
Except for thunderbirds.They kick behemots a$$es :devil:

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Apr 2006, 07:56

You think so? :disagree:

I seem to lose my thunderbirds really easily when I'm duelling...And if they're on the enemy team they seem to be invincible...Funny ha?
Behemoths I don't lose as easily. Perhaps I should try the thunderbirds next time. Figure out why I lose them ;)
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Heroes I-IV”