Which game from the Heroes Series to play next?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Feb 2006, 14:55

Ethric wrote: Seeing as many others seems inclined to disagree with this, I'd say it's best to try H2 and make up your own mind (I for one thinks H3 takes away more than it adds in terms of quality).
Seconded. H3 improves in H2 in a few ways (mostly related to convenience and "size") - but in the ways that count, H2 is a superior game IMO.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

LordScimitar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordScimitar » 18 Feb 2006, 14:58

I also must suggest the Heroes 2 Expansion Pack. I forget what it was called. But man did it have some hard campaigns! There is one that's called Isle of Wizards or something. You start off on an island with one Wizard Castle on it that is, while not impossible to take, is very difficult. Meanwhile, everyone else has 2-3 castles and you're on the center of the map, thus, have the biggest target on your head. I can't remember if I ever beat this map or not. I must say, other than maps that just have enemies with HUGE starting armies that attack you far sooner than you'd reasonably be prepared for, its the hardest map I've ever played.

Basically, its the hardest "fair" map I've ever played. Yikes! And the few new artifacts and stuff really add to the game. I loved it.
Gunnar>all.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 18 Feb 2006, 23:05

LordScimitar wrote:I also must suggest the Heroes 2 Expansion Pack. I forget what it was called.
The Price of Loyalty.

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 19 Feb 2006, 13:30

I'd strongly recommend H2 (with PoL, but don't recruit ghosts- it will kill the satisfaction of playing). Despite many opinions tha it's a step back, it's charmful graphic, castles, atmosphere, ect. are worth seeing&playing.

Than I'd suggest H4 (WoW) with instant Equilibris as DaemienLucifer said. It's a great game, and worth playing to compare big step forward in H5 which soon will be in the shops.

As for H3 expansions I've played too little to reecommend them or not.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 19 Feb 2006, 16:46

Black Ghost wrote:I'd strongly recommend H2 (with PoL, but don't recruit ghosts- it will kill the satisfaction of playing). Despite many opinions tha it's a step back, it's charmful graphic, castles, atmosphere, ect. are worth seeing&playing.

Than I'd suggest H4 (WoW) with instant Equilibris as DaemienLucifer said. It's a great game, and worth playing to compare big step forward in H5 which soon will be in the shops.

As for H3 expansions I've played too little to reecommend them or not.
I also think that HOMM2 is a good one to play before HOMM4 since I think they are close cousins as far as town allignments are concerned.

I disagree with csarmi and would say that HOMM3 is more watered down. They put so many creatures and town types and objects into the game and included upgrades for every single game so that it actually seams bland since you can find creatures that almost identical throughout the game. HOMM2 offers more dynamic which should allow for great replay value (I still play it on occasion).
Last edited by Anonymous on 19 Feb 2006, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Feb 2006, 21:20

So, Vepeli - have you decided yet?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

vepeli
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vepeli » 20 Feb 2006, 08:09

Helloo Adventurers!
Glunk..!

Thanks a lot everyone for good recommendations! Its very nice that this got so many replys.
Yep, I have decided now. I have decided to go like so many already said to start Heroes II.
I started first this Roland Ironfist campaigns, and just played first scenario. Well, as usual (in any M&M game) I am hooked to it. Seems very very good game!
I like the gameplay, towns, creatures, storyline, graphics, well all, everything works 100% in this game. Also this magic casting spell point system is first time along in Heroes Series which is good. Although in battles it don't have wait or defent option, but I do not mind. Now I will be busy with this and someday when I have come to an end for this, the I play Archibald Campaigns also and then continue to Price of Loyalty. Like in M&M VII You need to play also this evil side (as well as (especially) the good side).

Like vaudy said in these postings that I probably play all Heroes eventually, and thats true, so now I get also some idea which play after II. Maybe Heroes III - Shadow of Death? Well we get to that some other time.
Little question about this Equilibris :
DaemianLucifer said that when playing Heroes IV, go straight with Equilibris. Does this correct/patch some features in original Heroes IV when installed?

Yours truly,
Vepeli who possess both Might and Magic in computer games

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 20 Feb 2006, 09:16

vepeli wrote:Little question about this Equilibris :
DaemianLucifer said that when playing Heroes IV, go straight with Equilibris. Does this correct/patch some features in original Heroes IV when installed?
I'm also interested in the answer to this question. Equilibris is the only Heroes patch/add-on I never played (for the rest yes, I went as far as King's Bounty, WoG or the 2 hidden Chronicles). I know Equilibris corrects a lot of the annoying things in H4. But is it, same WoG, sth that has to be installed on top of the WoW (last add-on), or it works on top of any of them? Any other details that might convince me to give it a try are welcomed. :) (I anyway want to, but don't get the time)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Feb 2006, 10:09

@Zam:

The install file only has 4mb and you can still play the game without it. And yes, you can put it on the Original game:
It will install on any existing version of the official Heroes 4 (currently supported are both Russian and English version from Buka Entertainment, official English version).
http://equilibris.celestialheavens.com/eng/about.html
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Feb 2006, 12:13

Well,it seems that my henchmen did it before me :devil:

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 20 Feb 2006, 13:00

ThunderTitan wrote:@Zam:

The install file only has 4mb and you can still play the game without it. And yes, you can put it on the Original game:
It will install on any existing version of the official Heroes 4 (currently supported are both Russian and English version from Buka Entertainment, official English version).
http://equilibris.celestialheavens.com/eng/about.html
Thx TT ;)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Apr 2006, 09:37

What does IMO mean?

I'm dying to know...
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 26 Apr 2006, 10:53

IMO = In My Oppinion
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Apr 2006, 13:07

Oh, okay...thanks..
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Apr 2006, 13:16

And IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

You won't be seeing this one often... :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Apr 2006, 13:18

I rarely have..
- Dragon Age Origins

Deni
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Deni » 26 Apr 2006, 18:52

I recomand heroes II

Shhejtan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shhejtan » 03 Jun 2006, 02:43

If you want to try them all, try Heroes IV equilibris last
It'll totaly make all others (including V) seem like a bore is you dig into it.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 05 Jun 2006, 00:20

I'd go for heroes 5. Once the patch is released, it'll be my favorit in the series (most likely). The game rocks. It just needs some more patches.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”