Waterwalk

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Horizons4
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Waterwalk

Unread postby Horizons4 » 07 Jan 2009, 12:14

I've been trying to figure out how this works. Might be that where I am trying it doesn't work. But how do I perform this spell? Whenever I click it I just hear a sound but I can not walk on water.

Appreciate any help!

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 07 Jan 2009, 12:36

When casting this spell, you only can CROSS water. Your hero isn't Jesus Christ! :) The goal behind the water must be on land an reachable with your movement points in one turn.

Horizons4
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Horizons4 » 07 Jan 2009, 14:22

Ah ok so I need a clear view to the other side and make it in one move. Ok thanks!

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 12 Jan 2009, 14:30

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jan 2009, 10:19

Koni wrote:Your hero isn't Jesus Christ!
I don't recall JC spending the night on the water either...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Jan 2009, 14:27

That brings up an interesting question. Can you Waterwalk to board a boat on another shore?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 13 Jan 2009, 23:28

Kristo wrote:That brings up an interesting question. Can you Waterwalk to board a boat on another shore?
No, you have to step on the shore first, then board the boat.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 13 Jan 2009, 23:40

Which reminds me...

I was playing "Okeaniya" the other day, and there was a Tavern on water. I hired another hero just to see what would happen. Well, not much. LOL The new hero was standing on the water but refused to move. *sigh*

So I decided to do some tests to see how it works with Taverns (and Prisons) on water. It turns out the newly hired hero cannot even interact with the hiring hero (the one in the boat). This is what happens:

By the way, you cannot double your troops or artifacts this way hehe. But if you leave your hiring hero on top of the hired hero (because that's how it works LOL), the latter will double... You cannot control the evil twin but he can crash your game. :P

But what if the newly hired hero summoned a boat? "Your hero is already in a boat", the message says. But he's riding his horse... Duh! However, if there's an empty boat next to the Prison, the new hero can board it.

True, I've seen Taverns and Prisons on water in one or two maps only, so this info is worthless... But still thought it might be interesting (in addition, let it be a warning to mapmakers! LOL)
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 04 Feb 2009, 20:43

I have a screenshot somewhere here in my harddrive demonstrating the ability of the AI to "forget" its limitations and the rules of the map. No hero whatsoever can end his/hers turn standing on the water. Waterwalk allows armies to levitate over water but the current term must be ended on a solid ground. The AI tried to "bend" the rules and after using Waterwalk, and thus ended up standing in the middle of a water passage.

I was fascinated about this and did some more testing. The AI didn't always use "his" movement points the same way and sometimes chose to stay on solid ground and not attempting to cross the water. My conclusion was that the AI player simply miscalculated his remaining movement points and thus was left "levitating" on the water when his turn was done.

I think I shall post the screenshot and this description into the Pol/ByteBandit owned Maparchives site. I can always email the screenshot to you, all you need to do is contact me.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”