Russian Heroes

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Corbon
Peasant
Peasant

Russian Heroes

Unread postby Corbon » 23 Nov 2008, 19:57

Kinda misleading topic title but... :P

I've been to quite a few Heroes fansites and noticed that there are probably more Russian than English sites. Just recently I d/l'ed a bunch of maps from maps4heroes.com and there seem to be many Russian contributors there. How come the HOMM series is so popular in that country?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Nov 2008, 20:38

In Soviet Russia TBS plays you... (it's not just russia, it's an eastern european thing... )
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 23 Nov 2008, 20:54

Indeed HOMM series were always majorly popular in Russia.

I'd like to point out, that russian version of Heroes 3 differs from english a little bit - some of the statistics are changed in some of the kingdoms. Especialy in Fortress some of the troops are more skilled than standart..

MichaelCors
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MichaelCors » 02 Feb 2009, 21:23

It's just happened to be so :)

I'm living in Russia, and I remember the first time I saw Heroes II.. it was awesome, I've never played any turn-based strategy before and I loved it from first sight. Beautiful graphics, I mean it really looks in kind and interesting manner... first map for me, it was Broken Alliance and I remember it even now :)

so, there were not a lot of games to play, and I spent a LOT of time at Heroes II with my sister. I love this game until now and play sometimes.

My friends also were fond of it and spent a lot of time trying to win campaigns as fast, as posssible.

I believe something like this happend in many other cities and towns - game appeared there just in time when people began to obtain computers for their homes.

It became really national game. Heroes III just refrained success and gained even most popular because of it.

And then there's Heroes IV, turned to be too complicated to relearn, with too bravely redesigned gameplay. And with a lot of problems :( I love it, but ... people doesn't :)

Don't want to say much about Heroes V. I believe it's a shame what Nival did with the heroes. They was afraid of unsuccess from Heroes IV idead, but these ideas ARE progressive and were vital for heroes' survival. They just stepped back to last decade. I'm not playing HeroesV and I wouldn't.

I really believe this part wouldn't became even closely as popular as was 2nd and 3rd in Russia.

Ooops. Sorry for so much text and possible grammatical errors :)

Captain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Captain » 13 Feb 2009, 10:20

Hi all from Russia :)
if exactly, I am from Ukraine.

at present (Feb. 2009) on our web-sites we have more that 200 ACTIVE players!

just for hmm3 version you can see tournament table of online games:
http://dreamcatcher.metroland.ru/html/rating.htm
with ICQ numbers, nick and statistic of battles.

In additional, we organize lots of another tournaments - in offline (for speed), in hmm1, hmm2, hmm4 and hmm5.

I am modest noob which has grandmaster titles in hmm2 and hmm3 version and would like invite somebody to play for fun in the game.

If you can collect a command from your country, I will be glad to arrange the battles between us.

my contact:
ICQ 310-362-915
e-mail: navuchodonosor [at] bigmir.net

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 06 Mar 2009, 20:12

At first half of 90th most IBM-compatible computers in Universities of post-USSR countries was domestic clones of IBM PC/XT with CGA graphic. And almost on any of them was installed "King's Bounty" (original). It was VERY popular among students. As HOMM later on better computers. Why? I think because it is a fancy "Chess" of modern times. And Russians love to play chess, as anybody know ;)

MichaelCors
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MichaelCors » 05 Apr 2009, 12:39

One more thing to say.

I can tell why Heroes so popular in Russia.

But I could never understand why this AWESOME masterpiece isn't so much popular in the rest of the world. :)

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 05 Apr 2009, 16:22

Easy. Because the rest of the world is impatient and obsessed with speedy gameplay, flash and graphics.

philk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby philk » 09 Apr 2009, 16:36

Greetings to fellow Russians :)

I think the main reason for the success of the heroes 2/3 in Russia is the combination of tactical combat + quite low graphics requirements and of course the amazing hotseat option. Hotseat is the best thing that any game can have, period. I remember I playing homm3 together with most of my class at breaks, it was the only reason I wanted to go to school at that time. The atmosphere of 3-6 people playing one game was a pretty mindblowing experience at that time..

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 04 Oct 2009, 14:44

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Easy. Because the rest of the world is impatient and obsessed with speedy gameplay, flash and graphics.
One of the best posts o fall time. Respect forever!!!

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 04 Oct 2009, 15:37

Artas1984 wrote: One of the best posts o fall time. Respect forever!!!
You're really underestimating the whole time-thing

On topic: As far as I know, Russian(+ some others from CIS) sales of HoMM5 is about 50% of overall sales. So yes, clearly there is something to it.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 Oct 2009, 23:07

I'm no Russian, but I think that with along with what all Russians and most have said on this thread are true, I have to believe that the Russians' love for chess has to have something to do with it also. Where I live there are quite a few American Russians now, and all of them seem to love the game of Chess. Anything involving strategy seems to be the driving force for most Russians I know when it comes to any game they like to play. This is more so than for young Americans who love the glitzy kind of simple stupid console games that lack complex stategy. Sad.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”